6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 25, 2010 12:31 PM by btmueller Branched to a new discussion. RSS

slingcatcher on local network

btmueller Newbie

Hello, An associates slingcatcher stopped working at remote site, couldn't connect network error. Verified slingbox and network viewing working correctly, was able to connect to his slingbox from the remote site with laptop no problems. Watched sling over slingplayer and through slingbox.com/watch with no issues.

brought the catcher home, did factory reset and connected to my local network. Correct IP assigned, software update occured etc. The catcher found my LOCAL slingbox with no issues, even has a green light beside it. Try to connect and get the 'sorry cannot connect network error' message.  I am able to connect to the local slingbox on 5 different devices on my local network, just not the slingcatcher I'm thinking the box is DOA, I even tried a different power adapter as that problem just keeps hammering me on sling boxes. Anyone have any ideas?

• Re: slingcatcher on local network
          alano Newbie

Your message is a little ambiguous in its description of what is failing.

In SlingCatcher's Settings | Sling Account, does your account name (email address) appear, or does it say No Network at that point?

If the account name shows, and the SlingCatcher's red Network light is on, then your SlingCatcher is connecting to the internet, so the problem is more likely to be your router's setup and/or your Sling Account not properly set for internet viewing.  In this case, login on http://support.slingbox.com then click your login name (top right corner) and select Slingbox Directory from left side of the page that appears - make sure your Slingbox is listed (add it if necessary).  Then go back to the main Support page again and make sure the your SlingBox Info appears without any errors, and Internet Viewing | Set Up Complete says "yes".

btmueller Newbie

Hey Alano, I'll try to be clearer and explain the situation.

My associates slingcatcher was working up to july/august of this year (i installed his Sbox and Scatcher in 2008) since july/august it has been nothing but problems,The sling catcher would logon to his account fine, when you highlighted his slingbox and tried to connect it would fail with network error.

I verified his slingbox is working, i viewed it on his local network with slingplayer on his pc.

I then verified the internet viewing by logging on to slingbox.com under his account and selecting watch, his slingbox was found and was able to play it.

I then went to my house and was able to access his sling box from slingplayer and slingbox.com/watch with no problems.

So that verifies his slingbox and his internet viewing is working fine.

I went up to his cabin and attempted to connect the sling catcher again, it logs on to his account, shows you the slingbox when you select his sling it fails to connect network error. I factory reset the slingcatcher while at the cabin and started from the begining, the software updates ran sucessfully and allowed me to log back on to his account, select his slingbox and again 'connection failed network error', I reset his his cabins DSL router and tried several more times to connect all failed network error. I plugged my laptop into his cabin's DSL and was able to logon to his slingbox with no problems so that tells me something is wrong with the slingcatcher.

This is my original posts question.

I brought his slingcatcher home with me to do some testing.

I have a slingbox at home accessable to all my computer overs my local network, no sling account needed.

I factory reset his slingcatcher and connected it to my local network and a tv, powered it on let the software updates happen and it immediately found my slingbox on my local network, I did not logon to sling account I don't need to for a local device im not testing internet viewing at this point.

I selected my slingbox which also shows a green light beside it and says(free) it tries to connect then fails network error. If I go to a pc and connected to my slingbox the slingcatcher then sees it's in use and changes the (free) to (inuse) so the slingcatcher can see the slingbox, can tell if its being used or not but won't connect on my local network.

By testing as a local device I don't need to establish internet viewing, it also eliminates any lan-wan-lan issues like ports and firewalls etc.. My internal lan to lan configuration is wide open.

Hopefully this is clearer and thanks for taking the time to try to help me, I do really appreciate it.

alano Newbie

That's much clearer - and leads me to a conclusion... your associate's router or sling account has not been set up completely successfully, or has become corrupted.

I had *exactly* the same problem.  Some time early August, without any reason whatsoever, SlingCatcher stopped working.  I had to re-run the Internet Viewing Setup wizard at the SlingBox end (i.e. at your associate's house).

The first point to be aware of, as I learned... SlingCatcher uses a totally different connection system to SlingPlayer.  Just because SlingPlayer works, does not mean that SlingCatcher should work.

Try this from your house... connect to his SlingBox using SlingPlayer on your PC.   When the picture has started to stream, press the Shift and Alt and I keys simultaneously.  A diagnostic window will pop up.  If the Transport Type is "SNATT" then your associate's router and sling account need to be set up afresh again using SlingPlayer locally to the SlingBox at your associate's house, and running the Internet Viewing Setup wizard.

When the router and sling account have been setup correctly, the Transport Type in SlingPlayer (remotely, at your house) will show as "TCP".  SlingCatcher will *not* work unless SlingPlayer shows "TCP".  This is a funtion of the router settings at your associate's house, and successfully setting up the sling account (which can be confirmed at http://support.slingbox.com).

Hope that helps.

btmueller Newbie

Alano, I did the internet viewing setup rerun and shft-ctrl-I verification before I open this query, his stream type is tcp for sure his internet viewing is complete and without errors. Ive been digging through these forums for 4 days trying everything possible.

I don't think we are on the same page though, the testing i'm doing now completely eliminates the need for having a sling account and does not use internet viewing at all as its on my local lan.

The slingcatcher should connect to my sling box on my local LAN without a slingbox account and without internet viewing being setup, that's why im testing it this way to eliminate all the 'internet' variables.

For some reason this slingcatcher won't connect to a slingbox on the same local area network and it should.

alano Newbie

Sorry.  I cannot help you further.

I am an ex-electronics and network design engineer (not for the Sling products) and, if my understanding is correct, the SlingCatcher, if on the same local LAN as the SlingBox, will still connect OUT from your router to Sling HQ to log into the Sling Account, then back IN through your router - which MUST have the correct port forwarding set - matching the port forwarding details registered (public IP Address and Port) against the Sling Account at the time the Internet Viewing Setup wizard was executed for that particular Sling Account.

My best guess is that your associates has not correctly set port forwarding and Internet Viewing Setup wizard, and you are confusing matters by using his Account (which contains HIS router details not yours).

You will need to pay Sling Support to confirm this though.

Best wishes.

btmueller Newbie

Thanks Alano for all your help and suggestions, I really do appreciate your time and effort it's people like you that keep people from pulling the hair out when they have problems and no where to turn. Now to keep this post from confusing others, I want to respond to your last post.

you posted:

the SlingCatcher, if on the same local LAN as the SlingBox, will still connect OUT from your router to Sling HQ to log into the Sling Account

My response:

When the slingbox and slingcatcher are on the same local lan, 'THERE IS NO CONNECT OUT' from your router, its all internal on your local lan and an account is not needed you can unplug your internet connection and your slingbox will still play across your lan devices through slingplayer without an internet connection to sling HQ. The internet connection is only needed for REMOTE INTERNET VIEWING, not local viewing on your lan.

you posted:

My best guess is that your associates has not correctly set port forwarding and Internet Viewing Setup wizard, and you are confusing matters by using his Account (which contains HIS router details not yours).

My response:

For some reason your fixated on my associates configuration, forget his configuration im not trying to access it.

Do you understand that you can have a slingbox at home and several slingcatchers at home on different televisions and NOT even have an internet connection to the outside world?? It can be wired or wireless it doesn't matter, you can have a local network that has NO internet connection and the slingstuff and other things still work... There is a difference between local and remote, local requires NO internet, remote does....