19 Replies Latest reply: Oct 26, 2011 9:43 AM by Fofo RSS

no network connection

shangHai

I have problems with my slingcatcher. I attached all the cables as decribed in the manual but unfortunately I have no signal from the router. The router is o.k. because I used the same port for another laptop to go internet and it was o.k. I changed cables, no result. I tried several time the reset function, no result. Should I change maybe my network settings ? I don't understand what the difference is between: use DHCP and set statistic IP ? Can someone help me. Maybe you faced also to the same problem in the past .

thank you for your support

• Re: no network connection
          alano Newbie

Hi shangHai.

Out of the box, you should not need to change the network settings of SlingCatcher.  You should use DHCP - which simply means the router will assign an IP address to your SlingCatcher for you.

Why do you say that there's no network connection?  Don't be unnecessarily fooled.  If the SlingCatcher is reporting a Network Connection error, that's probably a good thing - as it may mean it's connected to the network but cannot find your SlingBox.

If, on your SlingCatcher, you got to Settings | Sling Account, does it say that you are logged in?   And does the red Network light come on at the front of your SlingCatcher?  If so, your network connection is working, but you've not yet successfully set up your SlingBox to use SlingCatcher (in which case see this thread... https://community.sling.com/thread/5153 ).

shangHai

Dear Alano,

than you for quick reply.

In my sling account it is showing "no network"

On the sling catcher the network light is off.

My Slingbox is working well, I have no problem to watch TV through my laptop.

Do I need such synchronation between slingbox and slingcatcher. That will be bad because the slingbox is in Germany and I am in China.

Is your slingcatcher working well ?

thank you

alano Newbie

It does sound as though your SlingCatcher's network socket isn't working - or your router has its ethernet ports disabled.  Do you have another ethernet peripheral connected to the router, that's working (e.g. an ethernet printer)?     Is your router set up to do anything unusual?  Is it part of a business network, where you have disabled the router's built-in DHCP server?

Has the SlingCatcher asked you for your logon details yet?  Presumably you have a SlingMedia account for your SlingBox?   You need to get the SlingCatcher to logon before it can link to your SlingBox.

What happens if you try to do Settings | Software Update on your SlingCatcher?  Does the Network light come on then?

Yes, my SlingCatcher is working perfectly now.  I had endless troubles getting it to work - which is why I'm prowling this forum trying to share my new knowledge and help other people get their SlingCatchers working.

shangHai

Dear Alano,

the router is o.k. because I tried to use two ports at same time with two laptops and it worked. No problem. What do you mean with "Presumably you have a SlingMedia account for your SlingBox?" - I have one to connect to SlingBox but this is standard everyone has this. I see under Settings|Software Update "No Network".

But if I want to go to internet I have to use a password maybe this can be the solution for my slingcatcher maybe I need to logon. But I don´t know how to set in the slingcatcher the password. The sling catcher disn´t ask for logon details but in the "network" I exactly see the IP adress, that means from somewhere must be there a connection. I hope to be now very close to the solution but still lost what to do now.

thank you

alano Newbie

Let's make sure the sling account has been created correctly...

Go to http://support.slingbox.com, and login using your sling account login details.

Click your username on the top right hand corner of that page (it will say something like "Hi, shangHai").   When the new web page appears, select "Slingbox Directory" on left hand side.

Is your Slingbox listed on that page?  If not, click Add A Slingbox, and add your slingbox to your directory.

Now go back to the main Support page (click "Support" in the web page's top menu).   You will now see the technical information for your Slingbox.  Does it have an error message?   In the Internet Viewing section, does it say "Set Up Complete: Yes".   If there is a problem with either of these two items, it means you have not correctly set up your router in Germany, or you have not succesfully run the Internet Viewing Setup wizard built in to SlingPlayer (you must be connected to your local network in Germany when you run the wizard).

shangHai

Dear Alano,

the only alert what I have is the software update. I didn´t make that because I had the fear to have to go to Germany to my slingbox base to synchronize.

"Set Up Complete: Yes" is also there.

I don´t think that the software update have impact to my problem. What do you think ?

thank you.

btmueller Newbie

If your not getting to the network then the sling account means nothing. When you plug the catcher in after a few moments the network light should come on, if that's not happening then you have a slingcatcher/router/cable problem. You tested that port on another devices and it worked, you swapped cables with I hope known working cables and that didn't work, then you have a sling catcher hardware problem

shangHai

Dear BtMueller,

yes the router seems not to be the problem because I tested the port with my other network and it worked.

When I make the reset as described in the manual the network light is lighting for 3 seconds. I am asking me how the sling catcher recognizes my IP adress when I have no connection. Because I see the right IP adress under settings.

thank you

alano Newbie

I think your Sling Account and router are set up correctly in Germany.   Therefore I go back to my original guess that your SlingCatcher has a bad network port.   You should contact Sling Support.

Sorry I couldn't help.

shangHai

Dear Alano,

thank you for all. Yes, I will do it. Do you know how the Sling Catcher recognize my IP adress ? This can be only possible when the interface router Sling Catcher is existing.

thank you

alano Newbie

Aha.  If SlingCatcher shows an IP address, then the network port must be working.

The problem might possibly be that your ISP in China is blocking the connection to Sling HQ's login server?    It is strange that SlingCatcher has not yet asked you for your username and password.

If I remember correctly, the first item on the main menu (I've just shut down for the night, so cannot tell you) - is supposed to connect you to your SlingBox and it will ask for your account name and password.   What happens when you try the first menu item to connect?

I'll be back online in around 10 hours.  Best wishes.

btmueller Newbie

Yuk yuk yuk

Sent from iPhone mobile.

shangHai

Dear Alano,

what is ISP ?

Yes, the slingcatcher didn´t ask me for username and password. Maybe because it couldn´t make the network. Is it possible to bridge the direct connection through my laptop. I mean I connect router with laptop and laptop with sling catcher. At the moment I have the connection router to slingcatcher.

thank you

alano Newbie

Hi shangHai.  Sorry, ISP = Internet Service Provider... the firm who provides your internet connection/modem.

It's not easy to use your laptop as a bridge between router and SlingCatcher.  I don't think it will achieve anything.

Next thought... are you able to successfully use the PC software that came with your SlingCatcher.  Specifically, can you install and use the SlingProjector sofware to display your laptop's screen on SlingCatcher?  This will fully test the networking capability of your SlingCatcher.

Once you've installed SlingProjector on your laptop, put you SlingCatcher into the right mode by, on SlingCatcher's main menu by selecting Sling Projector | Connect | --> .     The go to your laptop and start the SlingProjector programme and following its instructions to display your laptop's screen on your SlingCatcher.   If this works, then you can be pretty sure your SlingCatcher is in good health.  Let me know the outcome, then we can work on next steps.

lmpeterson

I have a similar problem, but in my case the Slingcatcher times out. I am able to connect to the Slingbox via the Sling Player and via the browser. I saw a tip that said to press ALT-SHIFT-a or ALT-SHIFT-i and check the stream type - which was SNATT. Does that have any effect?

Apprentice

Hi lmpeterson,

That's the root of the issue, the stream type SNATT. To change this to TCP, you need to run manually the Internet Viewing setup at the Slingbox location and if you perform the ALT-SHIFT-i again, you should get TCP. Please have a look at this article and read carefully the "You see -Unable to connect to the Slingbox due to a network error- on your TV" section,

SlingCatcher: Basic Troubleshooting

Hope this helps

Regards