4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 23, 2016 2:38 PM by dmd3home RSS

"DVR" box greyed out in app

dmd3home Newbie
    Visibility: Open to anyone

I purchased the Amazon Fire TV unit specifically so I could watch my DVR recordings when I'm at other remote locations. I've used Sling for a few years now and have had varying success. I really like the app on the iPad where it has a picture of your home remote....wish it had that everywhere. It also seems to work pretty well on my phone......but, I want to put it on the big screen! I thought wired was the way to go and purchased several Sling player enabled boxes of different brands trying to find something that works well but they all seem much slower and disconnect far more than the iPad or my android phone.....strange, I thought the gigabit hardwired boxes would be far more reliable than wireless iPads or phones....as it turns out hard wired is much WORSE! Strange!

Unfortunately the Fire TV uses the same clunky user interface that I have on other Sling enabled boxes. But worse, the "DVR" button on the screen is grayed out and can't be used. This is how to get to the list of recorded shows on the DVR and it is unavailable. Yikes! That's the only reason I bought all this stuff....so I could watch my recorded shows remotely. Can you tell me why the "DVR" button on the screen would be grayed out on the Fire TV? It is there and active on all my other boxes that support Sling.

What is different about Fire TV?

• Re: "DVR" box greyed out in app
          alanrichey42 Master

It's been reported in other threads that whoever at Sling designed the Amazon Fire virtual remote allocated the wrong code to the DVR button, but Sling don't seem to have made any effort to fix it.   As a first test check out the Custom Buttons under the Misc selection and see if any of those pull up the DVR function.

dmd3home Newbie

Thanks so much for your reply. Very Interesting!......More interesting yet,.....I tried it again today and the "DVR" button was NOT grayed out and, in fact, worked fine. Why would it be...and then not? Hopefully it will continue to be fine. I'l try to keep this post updated (though I don't use the FireStick often enough for a good, timely evaluation).

Which brings up the other part of my question: What is the BEST Sling Box streaming device? I now have various boxes all over the country trying to get a consistent, reliable streaming result. I can't even remember now what I have. I have 3 Roku boxes, 2 Amazon FireTV boxes, and a Sony or Netgear box (can't remember which) which has a Sling Media player App, all of which are hardwire connected with Cat6 and with great gigabit connectivity (as is my home where the DVR is located). None of those seem to reliably hang on to the connection forcing constant "reconnect". More reliable (as strange as it seems) has been the iPad and Android phone connections. But, the whole idea is to watch my home recorded media on a big screen TV! I've tried chromecasting with limited results....not sure where it loses that connection. The best, most stable streaming device I have is the iPad.....but, can't get that to the big screen. I was talked into getting the Amazon Firestick as an additional possibility but haven't yet had much opportunity to test it.....it hasn't started out very well!

As you can see, I'm desperate to find something that works well and have already invested hundreds of dollars and many hours trying to find something that actually works. I understand that there are many moving pieces here where all connections on all ends have to be stable, consistent, with little latency and no drop outs. It is a lot to ask. But, the iPad seems to do it well. I don't know why Sling doesn't make its own, dedicated media player specifically for Sling media instead of licensing it to many others. I know they used to do that with the "Sling Catcher" that I understood worked quite well. But, for some reason, they discontinued that. So, bottom line, what is the BEST STREAMING DEVICE?  Thanks.

dmd3home Newbie

Thank so much for your help.  I'll continue to research.