4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 24, 2016 2:14 AM by BigHairyPete RSS

How can I connect my HDMI/SCART only output Virgin TIVO to the component input Slingbox and disable the HDCP facility?

BigHairyPete
    Visibility: Open to anyone

I want to get HD service from Virgin remotely but so far can only get it in SD because the only option I have is to use the composite link via the adapter which shipped with the Slingbox - the adapter promoted on the Slingbox website only ships to USA and Canada, so is there something similar which UK owners can purchase?

• Re: How can I connect my HDMI/SCART only output Virgin TIVO to the component input Slingbox and disable the HDCP facility?
          SlingSupportJennifer Moderators

Hello,

Thank you for the information provided. I see you're having some trouble with hooking up your Slingbox. Unfortunately, since your cable box only has HDMI out you would need a HDMI splitter. The HDMI splitter takes an HDMI signal from your set-top box, and converts it to Component video (and stereo audio). Below is a link that will help you learn more on an HDMI splitter.

Slingbox.com - Using an HDMI video source with the Slingbox 500

On the link above, there is a hyperlink that will lead you to another website where you can purchase the HDMI spiltter.

You may also purchase the HDMI splitter on any other third party store.

Thank you,

Jennifer

Sling Media Support

• Re: How can I connect my HDMI/SCART only output Virgin TIVO to the component input Slingbox and disable the HDCP facility?
              BigHairyPete

Hi Jennifer

thank you for your response, but I am afraid that it has not resolved the issue.

I have followed the link you provided but I can comment as follows:

1. the link refers to a Slingbox 500 - My Slingbox is a M1

2. As I said in my original query, I am based in UK and the adapter the link

refers to, states that the company only ships these units to USA and Canada.

You refer to a "splitter" but I am uncertain of the specifications of this as

the only ones I can find online state that they simply split a HDMI signal into

2 (or more) signals. How will this disable the HDCP function, which is a key

requirement of the Slingbox?

If you can advise me of the availability of a suitable adapter in the UK that

would be of great value. I feel sure there must be many of your Slingbox

customers with a similar dilemma.

thank you.

On 15 November 2016 at 15:39 SlingSupportJennifer <answers@slingmedia.com>

SlingSupportJennifer Moderators

Hi there,

Thank you for the information provided. I do understand, i send you a link with information on the Slingbox 500, but the link also contained information regarding the HDMI adapter. An HDMI-to-component adapter you can purchase anywhere( Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart, Etc).

What is an HDMI-to-component adapter- This HDMI Adapter is very simple: it takes the signal from an HDMI cable and converts it into signals for component cables (red/green/blue for video; red/white for stereo audio).

If you have Slingbox model M1, but your set-top box only offers an HDMI output (no Component output), the HDMI Adapter product provides Component outputs that you can use with your Slingbox.

If once you connect an HDMI-to-component adapter and you still experience HDCP error then now you are experiencing SOC.

What is Selectable Output Control (SOC)?

A very limited number set-top boxes and video sources use yet another layer of copy-protection called Selectable Output Control, or SOC. Used in devices where both HDMI and analog outputs (component, composite, etc.) are available, SOC disables any analog outputs when HDMI is also hooked up.

Does the video over component go "dark" when you attach an HDMI cable to your set-top box? Then you likely have an SOC-capable set-top box. Currently, there are only a handful of SOC capable set-top boxes on the market.

The HDMI Adapter device (mentioned above) can also help solve SOC issues.

Thank you,

Jennifer

Sling Media Support