3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2016 1:27 PM by SlingSupportJennifer RSS

"HDMI connection not permitted Press SELECT for more information"

wrandy

I'm getting this warning message showing up on my screen and want to remove it: HDMI connection not permitted. Press SELECT for more information.

I've connected my Tivo Premier to my Slingbox M2 via component cables and then from my slingbox to my TV also via component cables. Because I want an HD connection to my TV, I also have an HDMI cable running directly from the Tivo to the same TV, but it's not running through my Slingbox M2.

Any advice as to how to remove the warning message?

I found this component splitter online. Would it help solve the HDCP problem I'm running into if I put it in between the Tivo and the Slingbox?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009QW4MM/ref=pd_luc_rh_sbs_01_02_t_img_lh?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

This looks to be the same issue documented here: "HDMI connection not permitted Press SELECT for more information"

thanks,

Randy

• Re: "HDMI connection not permitted Press SELECT for more information"
          SlingSupportJennifer Moderators

Hello Randy,

I see you're getting a warning message (HDMI connection not permitted. Press SELECT for more information), that is showing up on your screen and want to remove it.

Using component cables:

They have the best quality HD-capable connection but they carry no sound. You’ll also need to connect a set of red and white cables to the audio ports. If you have digital audio (usually an orange cable), you can connect it instead of the red and white audio cables. With component connections, HDCP is unlikely to interfere with video sent to your Slingbox.

HDMI cable running from cable box to TV is not needed. Component cables also give you HD quality.

Thank You,

Jennifer

Sling Media Support

wrandy

hi Jennifer,

Thanks for your reply to my question. Re: "HDMI connection not permitted Press SELECT f... <https://community.slingbox.com/message/154458?et=watches.email.thread#154458>

For some reason I the community site won't allow me to post a reply. So here is my follow up question:

I neglected to add that there are red/white audio cables in place too.

So with the component and audio cables in place, what is causing the error message?

Randy

SlingSupportJennifer Moderators

Hi there,

Thank you for the information provided, so i see you're still experiencing the error message. At this point in time you may be getting SOC error.

What is Selectable Output Control (SOC)?

A very limited number set-top boxes and video sources use yet another layer of copy-protection called Selectable Output Control, or SOC. Used in devices where both HDMI and analog outputs (component, composite, etc.) are available, SOC disables any analog outputs when HDMI is also hooked up.

Does the video over component go "dark" when you attach an HDMI cable to your set-top box? Then you likely have an SOC-capable set-top box. Currently, there are only a handful of SOC capable set-top boxes on the market.

To enable your Slingbox M2 HD content with an SOC (Selectable Output Control) capable set-top box, make sure that you have component cables connected to and from the Slingbox M2, and configure your Slingbox M2 to use component only. Doing this does not affect picture quality. You can still watch your HD content anywhere.

Remember to remove HDMI cables.

Thank You,

Jennifer

Sling Media Support