5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 22, 2010 1:45 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

Changing the model of cable box/remote

lpshanet

I've had my Slingbox for several years and have used it without problem for a long time.  Recently, while traveling, I realized that I could not access some of the features of my box (DVR, etc.) because the Slingbox was still configured based on my old cable box, and I had replaced it with a new one since.  The basic functionality is still fine, and I can watch shows, change channels, etc.  However, I wanted to update the reference model of the cable box in question, and more importantly the remote.  How do I do this?  Also, since I'm traveling, is it possible to do this while I'm not on my home network?  I tried to use the Setup Assistant, but it won't let me get past the second step unless I'm on my home network, which I'm obviously not since I'm traveling.  Any help is greatly appreciated. 

• Re: Changing the model of cable box/remote
          alanrichey42 Master

You are making the wrong selection in Setup Assistant.   I assume you are selecting "Setup your Slingbox" ?   All you need is the "Configure Video Sources" and yes, you can do that remotely.

lpshanet

Maybe I have a different model of Slingbox or different software than you're referring to, but when I open the assistant, via the pulldown menu under "Help", it opens looking like an installation style window.  There is no option for "Configure Video Sources" that I can see.  Nor am I choosing "Setup your Slingbox" or similar.  It doesn't give me choices, opening Setup Assistant just cues me to go through the setup process.  Suggestions?

Also, once I do successfully get in to configure video sources, how to do I get the correct and current Time Warner remote for my box?  The only ones I've seen are the generic versions that don't apply to the HD DVR boxes.  So there are different controls than on the HD boxes...

For reference, i'm using Slingplayer software 1.0.10.272.

Thanks again.

alanrichey42 Master
                  For reference, i'm using Slingplayer software 1.0.10.272.

Never heard of that version so I guess it must be the Mac software ?   But I still thought there was a "Configure Video Sources" option ?

Can you show us a screen dump ?   This is what I see on a PC:

Image1.jpg

Also, once I do successfully get in to configure video sources, how to do I get the correct and current Time Warner remote for my box?  The only ones I've seen are the generic versions that don't apply to the HD DVR boxes.  So there are different controls than on the HD boxes...

Difficult to comment without knowing the manufacturer and Model number

lpshanet

Yes, it is a Mac software version.  Thought I had posted this to the Mac questions area.  Sorry.  Can't do a screen grab right now, but think I have figured out how to get at a configuration setup via preferences.  The box is a Samsung, but don't know the model, as I'm on the road, as mentioned, and couldn't find one via search engine that looked just like mine.  Fairly similar to the 3050 or 3090, I think.  But the remote that Slingbox provides when i enter those is just the generic old Time Warner remote not the HD DVR version.