5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 11, 2016 7:59 AM by 37xPLzG8DJ RSS

I hsve a M2. I cant seem to watch remotely without my tv being left on. I have xfinity with a pace modem

ajs3329

I

have an M2. I cant seem to watch remotely withou leaving my tv on. I have xfinity with a pace modem?

• Re: I hsve a M2. I cant seem to watch remotely without my tv being left on. I have xfinity with a pace modem
          alanrichey42 Master

I guess you haven't searched the forum.   Everyone with Infinity/Comcast has this since they implemented HDCP.    There are various solutions, have a search through and see which is best for you,

• Re: I hsve a M2. I cant seem to watch remotely without my tv being left on. I have xfinity with a pace modem
              mpaivako

I am with the same problem and I researched I did not find anything. Any help?

alanrichey42 Master

I'm amazed you couldn't find anything, almost 20% of the forum posts are about this subject.    So I guess I will have to repeat it all over again for you.

XFinity have implemented HDCP (Google it) to prevent you recording their HD protected content..  The method they use is to look at the signals on the HDMI cable and when they get a valid handshake from a device they allow the video content to be output.    Now, for obvious reasons, all TVs are HDCP compliant so when the box sees the TV on it outputs the video.   But the Slingbox is not HD compliant, so when you turn the TV off and the there is no signal being received back from the HDMI cable then the box shuts down the video.

Now, as described in lots of posts on this forum, there are  possible solutions for you.

1.   If fitted use the composite (Yellow) video instead of the Component (Red/Green/Blue) video.   The drawback to this is that the video will be only SD not HD.    This is the solution I use as it is the simplest.

2.  Throw away the HDMI cable and instead, feed the TV from the component OUT plugs on the Slingbox.   Because the HDMI cable is not in use then the box will happily output the video on the component output.  And because there is no connection between the cable box and the TV it doesn't matter if the TV is on or off.  This will give you an HD stream.

3.  Buy an HDMI/Component splitter.   This will take the HDMI signal, strip out the HDCP signal (illegally) and output an HDMI for the TV and a component for the Slingbox.   Sling Media recommend the Gang Hu one (See Buy > Accessories at the top of the page).  There are others mention in the forum that also work, but be aware that the majority of converters stay legal and do NOT strip out the HDCP signal so will be useless for your purposes.  And for obvious reasons manufacturers do not advertise the fact they strip out the HDCP signal.

That's it

Al

37xPLzG8DJ

Could not turn on TV hooked up to comcast / xfinity

Al, thanks for the great advice - solved a huge problem for me.  My son is at College and could not watch our Home TV if it was not already turned on. With the Cubs in the play-offs, it was mission critical to get this solved.

I reviewed your second option, with a minor modification, and that is what worked for me.(I can now I can turn off the TV in Master Bed Room and my son can continue to watch it using his slingbox.

Al's Advice

1. 2.  Throw away the HDMI cable and instead, feed the TV from the component OUT plugs on the Slingbox.   Because the HDMI cable is not in use then the box will happily output the video on the component output.  And because there is no connection between the cable box and the TV it doesn't matter if the TV is on or off.  This will give you an HD stream.

What worked for me (modified version)

1. All I had to do was hookup the 5 outputports from the Slingbox "OUT" jacks and connect them to the 5 IN  jacks on my TV.

2. Regarding the HDMI Cable - when I disconnected it from the Xfinity Cable box and used only COAX cable to TV, the picture was horrible, so I actually hooked up HDMI cable again (and kept the coax too) 

Remeber if you only hook up the HDMI Cable Many forum posts state that somehow the HDMI Cable will prevent the signal going from the TV to Slinbox for this set up below

3. Hooked up Cable Box to TV with COAX Cable

So to make it clear this set-up worked for me:

Slingbox model M2:

5 In Ports:  Audio L &R, Y, Pb, Pr – Connected Xfinity DVR Box, probably did not need Audio L&R

5 Out Ports: Audio L &R, Y, Pb, Pr – Connected TV In Ports, probably did not need Audio L&R

Xfinity Cable Box DVR

Coax Cable was used to hook up to TV in COAX port - ran the TV setup program to use this

HDMI hooked up to TV HDMI In port.  Reran the TV Setup to use HDMI, For me I had to use Both Coax (ensures TV Signal will go to Slingbox with TV off) and HDMI (for a good picture)

The 5 OUT Ports:  Audio L &R, Y, Pb, Pr – Connected to IN ports on Slingbox M2, , probably did not need Audio L&R

And the biggest benefits are

1. TV never has to be turned ON for my son to watch it on the Slingbox App. It will always be ready!!
                      2. I can go to bed, turn off the TV and my Son can watch whatever he wants.

Thanks!!!!

Jim

ajs3329

thx

Anthony J. Scola

Attorney at Law

44 Reservoir Street

Holden, MA 01520(508)755-6314(508)210-0858*scolalaw@gmail.com

<ajs3329@gmail.com>*

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

This e-mail and any attachments thereto are intended only for use by the

addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or

confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this

e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or

copying of this e-mail, and any attachments thereto, is strictly

prohibited. If you have received this e-mail by error, please immediately

notify me by return e-mail and permanently delete the original and any copy

of this e-mail message or attachment and any printout thereof.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>