3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2016 2:12 PM by psollimo RSS

Mobile apps freezing??

psollimo

I have been successfully using my PRO-HD slingbox for years, but recently all mobile connections to it are failing both at home (on the same network) and remote.

When the initial connection is made, a live channel stream works fine, but any input or request results in a frozen screen (channel change, Menu, DVR, live pause, etc).

This is the case with SlingPlayer for iPhone and SlingPlayer for iPad . . . yet SlingPlayer desktop and newwatch.slingbox.com work perfectly.

What has happened to SlingPlayer for iPhone and SlingPlayer for iPad?

Port forwarding is on and configured correctly.

I have completed a hard reset on the box with no change.

I have the TCP connection in the iPad Player and the "three dots" in the options of the iPhone player.

All software is up to date on Slingbox, iPad and iPhone.

Any advice is greatly appreciated - many thanks.

• Re: Mobile apps freezing??
          psollimo

Your software doesn't work with iOS 10 on iPhone or iPad. When will this be corrected? Look at the "one star" ratings in the App Store and read their comments. Look at the Sling Community notes. 

https://community.slingbox.com/message/153520#153520

I have exactly the same problem and the common factor is SlingPlayer and iOS 10.

I have been using SlingPlayer on iPad and iPhone for years with no problems until upgrading to iOS 10 and the latest version of SlingPlayer.

Here is my current status (each connecting to Slingbox Pro-HD):

iPad iOS 10, SlingPlayer 3.4.9 = complete failure / totally unusable

iPhone iOS 10, SlingPlayer 3.8.51 = complete failure / totally unusable

iPad iOS 9, SlingPlayer 3.4.7 = WORKS PERFECTLY

When will Sling correct the problems that they have with iOS 10?

Can we get a copy of 3.4.7 for the iPad in the meantime (or will that not work with iOS 10)?

• Re: Mobile apps freezing??
            courtlandk Newbie

Is it working via web browser on a computer?  If it isn't due to iOS 10, it could be your PRO-HD failing due to power supply or capacitors on the board.

Mine kept locking up/freezing and I changed the 3 capacitors on the board and the power supply and it works great ever since (did the repair several years ago).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U40HM0VW_VU

1) Ordered a new power supply from Jameco.com, Jameco Part no. 379623 (i purchased from jameco because the power supply is more reliable than the one from sling)

2) Soldered 3 new capacitors (470Uf, 35volt) on the board.  There's a lot of videos on the web for how to do this.  Just google replace sling box capacitors (they often fail) In the end, the combination of the two has resulted in my sling box performing rock solid and it only costs $20 for the power supply and capacitors.  I had to buy a solder gun but it's a worthwhile investment to have and not a bad skill to have (it's pretty easy to solder).