19 Replies Latest reply: Jun 14, 2017 5:20 PM by Stevenk734 RSS

Comcast box blocking my remote access

bensal
    Visibility: Open to anyone

Hi, I have an HD Pro and recently upgraded to comcast x1 platform. I can only watch tv remotely when the home tv is on, otherwise i do not get any picture or sound when the tv is off. Also I can only watch the program that is on at home. No ability to watch something different. In looking into a solution on the Slingbox message board I saw that I could fix part of the problem using component cables rather than an HDMI cable. My problem is that the comcast box has only one component port out. My comcast box set up is to use the component out to the pro hd and the HDMI out to the tv. If I use the HDMI splitter as a remedy, can i split from one HDMI cable to two - one to the tv and one to the pro hd? will this allow me to watch remotely while the tv is off? 

• Re: Comcast box blocking my remote access
          alanrichey42 Master

Ditch the HDMI cable and feed the TV from the component OUT on the Slingbox.

ok thanks

So once I go from the tv to the slingbox with component, I would need to come out from the slingbox to the TV?

any picture quality issues that you know of.

I messed that up.

What i meant was I need to come out of the cable box to the sling box using component as well? Any picture quality issues?

alanrichey42 Master

Yes, and No, they are both HD.   The difference is that the HDMI is digital so it can carry all sorts of extra signals to mess you around.  The component is analog so it just carries the video,

I have the same problem as bensal. Except when I just use the components, I still get the error message. I used the HDMI to component converter but no luck either. I was able to get sling to work, but this time, couldn't watch TV at home. Any ideas on how to go around that? It seems like the issue is HDCP capability in that sling is not capable? Error message RDK 03060 apparently. Any suggestions would help. Thanks

BenimCan

Getting the same error message just started few days ago everything was fine. Is this a new policy on Xfinity end?

alanrichey42 Master

If you don't have an HDMI cable anywhere in your setup then HDCP is not the problem.   Obviously that error code means nothing to me, what do Comcast say it means ?

BenimCan

Just got off with xfinity chat support and they claim issue is not on their end. My set up has slingbox connected to cable box with component cables (only 1 component out on cable box and no HDMI slot on slingbox) Then HDMI out to TV. I thought when the new slingbox came out with HDMI it was already known to have issues with HDCP. But if the stream is going from cable box to slingbox with component cables why is there an error? Also, slingplayer works when TV is turned on. So box reads HDMI and component out and blocks the component stream if device is non-compliant? Doesn't make sense. This change also coincided with Xfinity's new updated app. You can use app to stream most channels on the go. Coincidence?

alanrichey42 Master

It makes perfect sense.    Did you not read this thread before posting ?   As I have said twice already, ditch the HDMI cable and use the component OUT to feed the TV.   It is the HDMI cable that is causing the problem.

BenimCan

Ahh yes sorry was thinking no component out on cable box. You mean use component out on slingbox to TV. Will try it out. Thanks.

emmoore86

It is comcast's update when Tv is on hdmi and slingbox work fine. TV off hdmi hooked up no signal to slingbox, pull hdmi out and stream slingbox as you have been using compent set up. The problem is when hdmi is hooked up and TV is off the cable signal stops, I used to listen to the music choice channels through my home theatre with tv off, doesn’t work anymore. Comcast has to rewrite code but won't admit it is their fault.

alanrichey42 Master
                                                    Comcast has to rewrite code but won't admit it is their fault.

That's a bit misleading.  It's not actually a 'fault', it is intentional, and there is no way they will rewrite the code.  Just about every TV provider in the world now has implemented HDCP to stop users having a third-party box to reord (and as a by-product, slinging) their protected HD content. The solution is simple, and has been covered in dozens of threads, including this one, throw away the HDMI cable.

bensal

Hi alanrichey42 this is bensal again. I appreciate the help here. here is my problem. my comcast box has an HDMI out that I have connected to my tv and another non component cable going to my slingbox ( therefore no HD to the sling box). If i reconfigure this set up as o suggest i will have a component cable from the sling box to the tv. How do I get hd to the slingbox from the comcast cable box? other than HDMI I do not have a hd outport. Your advice please. I have researched comcst box options and no box has two component out ports.

Thanks

alanrichey42 Master

I'm very surprised you haven't found the solution on the forum, as there are dozens and dozens of posts about it.  In your case your only way of getting HD to the Slingbox is to get an HDMI converter/splitter that has an HDMI input and HDMI and component outputs.   But it MUST be one that is either HDCP-compatible or strips out the HDCP signal.  Examp0les are the HD Fury and the one recommended by Sling, the Gang Hu  *See Buy > Accessories at top of page)

Hello,

I did everything you said and still my app tells me to connect component cables.  I did that.  I am not using HDMI in any way, only using component cables and I still get the request to use component cables.  I do not have a TV on that cable box.  I live in Los Angeles wanting to get Central Time network feeds.  Does there need to be a TV hooked up to that cable box for my Slingbox to work properly?  Thank you.

Stevenk734

Xfinity x1 and slingplayer failure.

Looking for help, I have had a slingplayer m1, I think, for a few years. It's the one with component level cables only, no HDMI. I only use component cables on my HDTV and slingplayer . Worked perfectly for past two years or so, even streamed from my iPad to tv via roku app. Updated to Xfinity x1 box that has component cables. All I now get is a copy of my home tv. Total failure. I tried lowering tv display to 1080i, 720p. Nothing works anymore. Forget about even trying to stream to my second home tv with roku app. Doesn't even work on my iPad. I'm at my wits end. Will toss the device in the trash unless I get a solution soon. Any other thoughts out there.

Thanks in advance.