Thanks for sharing this - it works a treat for me! I've been having having several problems (and on several different devices):
1) 90% of the time, the chromecast icon does not show up
2) When it does show up, most of the time, only one chromecast is listed, and it's usually the one in some other room!
Though a little clunky and inconvenient, this hack seems to provide a functioning workaround for both problems and for all my devices!
It's disappointing the sling application is so buggy in this regard - hopefully they are listening and will get it working eventually. But at least I have a workaround for now!
If you've been following this board you know there have been literally dozens of questions and complaints about the Google ChromeCast icon having disappeared from the SlingPlayer app for Android. Sling Media has been totally silent on the question -- no explanation, no ETA for a fix, no response whatseoever. One of the most pathetic examples of customer service I've seen lately.
Fortunately, a workaround has finally been identified. (Works for me, anyway.) A user named Samudra posted this on another thread. A thousand thanks to Samudra, and thanks for NOTHING Sling Media.
The procedure is as follows:
- Open Google Cast app on your device
- Tap menu icon (three parallel lines) on search bar at upper left of screen
- Select "Cast screen / audio". This will cast your device's screen to the ChromeCast. (You could watch your SlingPlayer this way, but you can't turn off your device's screen and your battery won't last long)
- Start SlingPlayer. At this point there still is no ChromeCast icon.
- Stop SlingPlayer (remove it from memory)
- Restart SlingPlayer. Now, magically, the ChromeCast icon is back!
- Touch that icon. Casting "whatever is on your screen" will stop, and casting from SlingPlayer will begin.
Finally, after months, I can cast my SlingPlayer to my TV again. C'mon Sling Media, do better than this.