7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 9, 2017 6:17 AM by RSS

problems with remote control

Cathy36
    Visibility: Open to anyone

Hi,

Our slingbox is located in Belgium and is connected to a digicorder (Telenet). For years, it worked fine. But now, only a few buttons on our remote control work (channel + and - and volume + an -). As we live in Canada and there's an 8 hour difference, it's important to see our recordings.

This is the situation:

- TV in Belgium connected to digicorder

- slingplayer with virtual remote control on laptop

When my dad (the slingbox and digicorder are at my parents' house) pushes the home on the laptop (virtual remote control), no information is displayed on the laptop. But on the television, the information is displayed. So, he is able to control the digicorder using the laptop. But of course, if the information (and our recordings) are not displayed on the laptop screen, we can't use it here in Canada.

Would there be something wrong with the slingbox? My dad already reinstalled everything, did a reset,... But nothing helped.

Hope someone has a solution to this problem?

• Re: problems with remote control
          alanrichey42 Master

Doesn't sound like a Slingbox problem, and definitely not a remote problem if your dad can operate it on his laptop,.  Remember, the Slingplayer displays the signal coming out of the back of the digicorder.   I know of a couple of occasions when TV providers have limited the 'overlays' coming out of the secondary output.  Have your dad take the video cable(s) feeding the Slingbox and plug them into a TV and see if the information is then displayed on the TV..    If not then you will know if the problem lies with the digicorder.  

Cathy36

Same problem. He did the same thing with his own digicorder. Same problem. I can't imagine both digicorders being broken.

Could it have something to do with the router? Or maybe it's the slingbox?

alanrichey42 Master

Sorry, I have no idea what you mean by 'did the same thing with his own digicorder'    Please me a LOT more descriptive.     And did you mark my previous answer as correct ?  And I didn't say the digicorder was broken, I said that was a deliberate feature from the TV provider.   So I would actually expect him to see the same,

Cathy36

My dad also has his own digicorder, so he has 2 in the house. He switched the digicorders and had the same problem.

It has worked since 2012. Same slingbox, same digicorder.

If this is a deliberate feature form the TV provider, this means no one with a Telenet digicorder can use a slingbox?

(Sorry, I accidentally marked your answer as correct)

alanrichey42 Master

As it turns out my answer probably was correct    I'm afraid the fact it has worked since 2012 is not relevant these days, TV providers will regularly update the firmware inside their boxes to add/subtract features.  Normally at 03:00 in the morning,.  And yes, if it was delieberate then everyone using that model with your TV provider should have been affected.

There is actually a logical reason behind it.  Most people use that secondary outlet for recording programs so they don't want the 'overlays' put onto their recording.

Have you checked the setup menu on the recorder to see if they have made it a switchable option ?

Hello,

I have my slingbox 350 connected to the scart outlet of my digicorder and in order to make the remote control work fine the resolution on the digicorder has to be beeldscherm 576i

Regards