7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 23, 2010 10:54 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

remote stopped working after software update

Thitsa Newbie

pro-hd remote stopped working after software update.  i've reset box after multiple attempts of reconfiging.  ?????

• Re: remote stopped working after software update
          alanrichey42 Master

Sorry, that's much to vague for anyone to help you.

What device ?  What EXACTLY have you done to get the remote to work ?   What EXACTLY are symptoms ?

Thitsa Newbie

I have Slingbox ProHD and Scientific Atlanta 8300HD cable/dvr box.  Been working fine since I bought it around April/May. Last week I was forced to do an update & after that the IR blasters aren't working.  I have  unplugged & replugged all units including the IR blasters, checked the blasters with camera (nothing happened), re-configed, and re-set the box. Everything works but the remote.

kprice84

Having same problem on my solo ever since the upgrade. Sucks, my slinbox is worthless without the remote. They need to fix this imediatly

alanrichey42 Master

kprice84 wrote:

Having same problem on my solo ever since the upgrade. Sucks, my slinbox is worthless without the remote. They need to fix this imediatly

I doubt this is a Sling problem so there is nothing they can do.

Have you done the camera check to make sure the blasters are actually firing ?

kprice84

Yes, if they were working I would have tried other things, it seems funny to me that both mine and the other gentlemens both stopped working after the upgrade. My slingbox worked fantasic untill the upgrade. Doesn't seem quinsadentle to me, and supprised u havnt had more complaints, but I bet money that u will have plenty more in the near futare when people get around to useing there sling.

alanrichey42 Master
                              it seems funny to me that both mine and the other gentlemens both stopped working after the upgrade. My slingbox worked fantasic untill the upgrade. Doesn't seem quinsadentle to me, and supprised u havnt had more complaints, but I bet money that u will have plenty more in the near futare when people get around to useing there sling.

I won't get any more complaints, I have nothing to do with Sling 

But it isn't funny that they stopped working after a firmware upgrade, if you think about it, it is actually quite logical.   During normal operation of just streaming video, only part of the Slingbox is being used and, crucially, the flash memory is only being read from.   During a firmware upgrade other parts are accessed and the flash memory is written to and the system is rebooted.   So any underlying flash memory weakness will only show up during that procedure.  It's a bit like a car driving along at 70mph and internally the second gear fails, but you don't find out until you slow down and try to use 2nd gear.   It isn't the act of slowing down that broke the gearbox, that simply exposed the fault.

So it's a fair bet that during normal operatons some boxes break but you don't see it until a firmware upgrade.   And understandably we hear about it on this forum and the firmware upgrade is blamed.  What we don't hear about are the thousands of Slingbox users who successfully upgraded their boxes.

And I should add that I am a victim of this, A couple of years ago I 'lost' a Slingbox Classic during a firmware update, but I now accept it wasn't the firmware itself that caused it, it was the action of installing the update that exposed the failure.

Now I accept that there is an argument that Sling should make the firmware upgrades optional so you can follow the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" principle, and I have some sympathy with that viewpoint, but that is for another discussion.

Al

alanrichey42 Master

checked the blasters with camera (nothing happened)

That will be why it has stopped working, you need to get a replacement.