2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 5, 2011 4:42 AM by sointense RSS

Slingbox player any platform continually drops connection

sointense

Hey folks,

It doesn't seem that the forum is monitored by techsupport, but I'm stressed enough to give it a go.

I have Sling player for the following platforms/devices

Windows XP

MAC Book Pro 10.6.x

iPad 3.2

Moto Droid 2.2

I had to spend $60.00 for the iPad and Droid players. I also had an Omnia and spent the 20 bucks for the CE version so I have invested a couple of bucks.

While trying to connect remotely either over a hotspot or my 3G service my players will only display for a short time before it freezes indefently. If stop the player and restart the player will start playing again but only for a short time. This has always been a problem for the two or three years I have tryed  the service. Sporadically the service will work fine for a month or two and then the problem starts up again.

Is there any  kind of trace log I can access from the player to determine were the breakdown could be occuring?

I have the system set up to use the sling locator service.

Any ideas would be welcome

CJ

Long Island, New York

• Re: Slingbox player any platform continually drops connection
          Apprentice

Hi Sointense,

This seems to be an issue with the network at the Slingbox location, do you have the Slingbox hardwired to the router using a regular Ethernet cable or are you using a wireless/power bridge. Also confirm the upload speed at home to confirm that it meets the bandwidth requirements,

A slow Internet connection at home can affect picture quality when Internet Viewing

Streaming in SlingPlayer slows and doesn't recover

Regards

• Re: Slingbox player any platform continually drops connection
              sointense

Thanks Fofo,

I had forgotten about this post because it is so old.

The issue seems to be about 70% resolved. About a month after the post a new firmware was mad available for the slingbox and since then my 3G and WiFi hotspot connections have improved dramatically. Where I have run into problems is on the New Jersey TPK south of exit 6 which I think is just poor 3G coverage. I have also run into trouble on the Long Island Expressway and 15 and 405 between San Diego and Orange county but I think this may be because of traffic on the network. When I am in the mid west its a **** shoot because I'm usually out driving though corn fields trying to get to where I'm going.

The Sling is connected with a hardwire directly to my router and out through the cable modem. I have on average 7 meg up and 25 meg down, but it seems as if the update to the sling box in october time fram corrected things.

CJ

Long Island, New York