6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 6, 2010 7:37 AM by patki RSS

Cannot get a hard reset to work

shanj9 Newbie

SOLO has been working without issue for over a year now, but now I cannot connect, even when on my local network.  I tried unplugging the SOLO and the router, software is up-to-date too.  Whats bizarre is when I try to do a hard reset (holding the reset button down) I cannot get the network or power lights to do anything (the light on the sling logo is not lit up at all).

From reading the forums, I gather that the lights should blink alternately for a bit, or blink faster then more slowly, or something.  Despite holding the reset button down for up to one minute, my lights never change, with the power light staying solid and the network light blinking very slowly. The lights give absolutely no indication that the reset button is being pressed.  So it appears that the reset button is doing nothing right now. 

Any ideas what may be going on?

Thanks

• Re: Cannot get a hard reset to work
          shanj9 Newbie

Anyone?

Novice

Hi shanj9,

One thing that I would like to recommend, is to test the Slingbox from a different network location, just to discard the current one as a potential  problem, however, if the issue still the same, you can contact the Sling Media Technical Support since this could be a defective power supply.

Contact the Sling Media technical support

shanj9 Newbie

Jose,

Thank you for your reply.  Moving the slingbox to a different network did not resolve the issue. The only thing that temporarily fixed the issue was replacing the power supply for the slingbox.  However, the replacement power supply I purchased through slingmedia has failed after only 34 days of use, thus putting me back in the exact same position.  What is going on?  Is your company providing power supplies that are that poorly constructed, or is there some issue with the slingbox SOLO itself causing these power supplies to fail?  Slingmedia really needs to get serious about answering these questions.

patki

This is really annoying and quite frankly SlingMedia should be aware of this and resolve the power supply issue immediately. I just went down the local hardware store and bought a power supply to match the one that came with my Sling SOLO. Came home and bingo! I am now able to get an IP from my router and am up and running. I am based in Norway and the whole thing has cost me about half the price of a new SOLO!!

EBone

I've got the same issue on mine, and there are many, many more posts and users in this forum with the same issue. I spoke with tech support via the chat feature. Here is a log of my conversation:

3:16 PM Connected. A support representative will be with you shortly.
                  3:16 PM Support session established with Sling Tech Support.

3:16 PM Sling Tech Support: Thank you for contacting Sling Media Technical Support. My name is Sling Tech Support. Which product are you looking for support today?
                  3:17 PM ME: Solo. I'm one of the dozens of people on the support forums who have a Solo that has simply stopped working
                  3:17 PM ME: Only the power light illuminates, despite numerous attempts to reset and power rebooting
                  3:18 PM Sling Tech Support: So, I understand that the Slingbox SOLO has stopped working, right?
                  3:18 PM ME: Correct. Only the power light will illuminate
                  3:19 PM Sling Tech Support: I see. I am sorry to know that.
                  3:19 PM Sling Tech Support: This is the procedure to follow.
                  3:19 PM ME: MANY people on the Solo support forums are having the same issue
                  3:19 PM Sling Tech Support: First, since your Slingbox is out of the 90 days of complimentary support, we will use the Pay Per Incident support option.
                  3:20 PM Sling Tech Support: This support option costs $29.99. Then, we will apply the necessary troubleshooting steps in order to fix this issue.
                  3:20 PM Sling Tech Support: If the Slingbox do not work, we will replace the unit and we will apply the refund for the $29.99.
                  3:21 PM Sling Tech Support: Are you there, Eric?
                  3:21 PM ME: I'm here.
                  3:22 PM Sling Tech Support: So, this is the procedure to follow.
                  3:22 PM Sling Tech Support: Therefore, I recommend you to give us a call in order to purchase the Pay Per Incident, as the first step.
                  3:23 PM ME: That's not an acceptable option. With so many users having the same problem, it's obvious that there is some defect in the unit or power supply.
                  3:23 PM Sling Tech Support: Are you sure that your Slingbox is affected in the same way?
                  3:25 PM ME: I am sure. I am very experienced with electronics as the associate editor of a technology blog. I have followed all of the troubleshooting procedures outlined on your website.There are too many instances of Solo units stopping working for this to be a coincidence.
                  3:26 PM Sling Tech Support: Good, in that case, the process will be quicker as soon as you give us  a call. We will follow the pointed steps and we will replace the unit , if we determine that it is a damaged unit.
                  3:27 PM ME: At the cost of $99 for a replacement unit as listed on your webgsite?
                  3:28 PM Sling Tech Support: No, the replacement will be free of charges, but we must charge the $29.99 for the available support option.
                  3:29 PM ME: I would prefer you issue an RMA and I can send the unit back to you for examination. I have all the original packaging and materials.
                  3:31 PM Sling Tech Support: In that case, you can pay $99.99 and avoid the troubleshooting steps process.
                  3:31 PM Sling Tech Support: Then, we will send the replacement unit.
                  3:31 PM ME: That's not an acceptable option.
                  3:31 PM Sling Tech Support: I am sorry, but these are the available support options.
                  3:32 PM ME: Fine, then I will proceed with the $29 troubleshooting option.
                  3:32 PM Sling Tech Support: The following link will allow you to get all the information: http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-2000027.html
                  3:33 PM Sling Tech Support: Good, in that case, give us a call as soon as possible. We will be more than willing to assist you.
                  3:34 PM Sling Tech Support: Is there anything else I can help you with?
                  3:34 PM ME: That states that if the unit is defective, the $99 replacemtn option applies
                  3:35 PM Sling Tech Support: Right, but we must apply the $29.99 charge first.
                  3:35 PM ME: You stated at 3:28 above that the replacement would be free of charge
                  3:35 PM ME: once the $29 diagnosis fee is paid
                  3:36 PM Sling Tech Support: If we find out that the unit is defective.
                  3:36 PM Sling Tech Support: But if you want to get the replacement with no troubleshooting, the charge is $99.99.
                  3:37 PM ME: From your website: "This agreement does not provide out of warranty hardware repair should the issue ultimately be caused by a defective Slingbox or SlingCatcher."
                  3:38 PM Sling Tech Support: Eric, with all the due respect, I think that we are going in circles.
                  3:38 PM Sling Tech Support: You have already been provided with the available support options.
                  3:38 PM Sling Tech Support: I encourage you to give us a call in order to help you out.
                  3:39 PM ME: Thank you.
                  3:39 PM Sling Tech Support: Is there anything else I can help you with?
                  3:39 PM ME: No.
                  3:39 PM Sling Tech Support: Thank you for contacting Sling Media, enjoy the rest of your day.

It just seems to be an effort to get $30 from users. The fact that the support representative stated that they would replace the out of warranty Solo for only the $29 support charge even though the website he directed me to states the charge is only applicable to a $99 repair fee makes me very uncomfortable of the thought of giving them $29, as I doubt things will be resolved without additional expense as listed on their webpage.

patki

Has anyone found a 'real' solution for this? I can't believe my luck or lack thereof. I had a defective SOLO and just received a replacement. I plugged it an and it wouldn't pick up a new IP from my router. I think followed all of the technical tips on how to resolve this and then tried to reset it. Alas, it simply wouldn't reset regardless of how many times I tried. Extremely disappointing!!!

I know the router is working correctly because I attached a laptop directly to the Ethernet port and it picked up a new IP immediately. I find it very unusual that Sling can send me a replacement and that its doesnt work!

Am I am missing something here? Or is there some kind of miracle solution? Or is the SOLO simply plagued with technical issues?

Phil