14 Replies Latest reply: Sep 22, 2010 6:01 PM by dagware RSS

Missing Remote Commands for Pioneer DVF727

dagware

I have a Pioneer DVF727, which is a 300 disc DVD changer. I can control it via the Slingbox Pro HD, but all it does is show the generic remote which is missing one of the most important remote commands - the one that brings up the list of available DVDs. It's not much use to have a DVD changer without being able to change DVDs!

I've tried all the commands available from the menus, and none of them do what I need. I've also tried other Pioneer remotes, but there's lots of them, and all the ones I tried just show the same generic remote.

I've tried searching these discussions, as well as doing numerous web searches, to no avail. Does anyone know how to rectify this situation? I'm pretty technical - I'm a professional computer programmer, so I'm willing to try virtually anything. It's a shame there's no way to add my own commands to the remote. Or is there a way that I don't know about? (I'm mostly talking about the web-based remote, I can live without it for the other ones.)

The other thing that would be nice, but this is just wishful thinking, is if the Slingbox people could work together with the Logitech people responsible for the Harmony remotes, since they have an extensive database of remotes and commands, and I can even update it with my own if I need to.

Anyway, wishful thinking aside, does anyone have any ides to help? Thanks!

Dan

• Re: Missing Remote Commands for Pioneer DVF727
          alanrichey42 Master

I loaded this model onto my Harmony and analysed the signals.  It is a bit complicated and will take some time to figure out, so as an inital test try this one.   It just implements the Power, Play, Pause, Stop, Menu and the arrow buttons.

If it does work I can build a full remote.  

Which is the command on the Harmony load that is the one you want ?

dagware

Thanks for the files! I followed the instructions and was able to have Setup recognize the files, but when I actually use them, they don't work. In other words, the Power, Play and Pause buttons don't control my player. The original setup did control my player (with the exception of the one button that started all this), so I know it's not a problem with the IR blaster or anything like that.

It was a long time ago when I set up my first Harmony with this DVD player, so my memory is quite foggy. However, it's quite possible that when I first set it up,  I had to have my Harmony learn the codes from the original remote before it would work. So I'm wondering if the file you got from the Harmony website might not work anyway?

While reading your instructions, I discovered the betaremotes web site. I'd be willing to use that site to create my remote, however, I can't seem to get my Slingbox to register any of the keypresses from my original remote, or the Harmony remote. I don't doubt this is "user error" on my part -- perhaps you could give me some tips on how to get this to work?

If nothing else works, I can always go the route you mention in your outstanding PDF about how to create custom remote files, but of course this will probably mean I have to order an IR Widget before I can do that.

Thanks again for your help!

Dan

alanrichey42 Master

dagware wrote:

Thanks for the files! I followed the instructions and was able to have Setup recognize the files, but when I actually use them, they don't work. In other words, the Power, Play and Pause buttons don't control my player. The original setup did control my player (with the exception of the one button that started all this), so I know it's not a problem with the IR blaster or anything like that.

Pity, but it did look a bit odd.

It was a long time ago when I set up my first Harmony with this DVD player, so my memory is quite foggy. However, it's quite possible that when I first set it up,  I had to have my Harmony learn the codes from the original remote before it would work. So I'm wondering if the file you got from the Harmony website might not work anyway?

Possible.   If you can get a full working copy onto my 'working' Logitech account  Username:  slingboxes   Password:  password  then I can put it in my Harmony and try again.

While reading your instructions, I discovered the betaremotes web site. I'd be willing to use that site to create my remote, however, I can't seem to get my Slingbox to register any of the keypresses from my original remote, or the Harmony remote. I don't doubt this is "user error" on my part -- perhaps you could give me some tips on how to get this to work?

It's actually graduated to remotes.slingbox.com now so it's better to try that.  Can't offer any tips really, it has always been a bit flaky, but I personally found I had to have the Remote right up against the Slingbox to get it to work.   If you can get a couple of buttons to work, post the LRZ file and I will take a look at it.

Al