10 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2011 6:50 AM by Bob44 Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Airport Extreme

Bob44

I recently switched routers from a Linksys to an Airport Extreme, and now my network can't find my Slingbox AV. I've checked all of the connections, rebooted the Slingbox, but the network still can't find it. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Bob

• Re: Airport Extreme
          markdevoll Newbie

More information would be great..   how is it connected things like that

Bob44

The Slingbox is connected to the Airport Extreme by cable. The Slingbox was connected to the Linksys with the same cable, and it worked fine for the past couple of years. I replaced the Linksys with the Airport Extreme because the wireless connection to the network was becoming unreliable. It's working fine with the Airport Extreme except for the Slingbox. I'm not overly techno-savvy, so any help would be greatly appreciated. If there's any other specific information that would help resolve this problem, let me know and I'll try to supply it. Thanks.

tiborg Newbie

I don't think the Airport Extreme support UPNP which is what the Slingbox uses to set port forwarding. Apple uses Bonjour, which Sling could add support for in a firmware update if they wanted to make a more friendly product. In the meantime, you need to set up the port forwarding manually, so you should set up the Slingbox to use a static IP address (not use DHCP to get an address from the router). Then you can set up the port forwarding on the Airport:

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Apple/AirPortExtreme/SlingBox.htm

That page looks like it's using a fairly dated version of the Airport Utility, but it gives you the basic idea what needs to be done. Google "airport extreme port forwarding" for more info if you need it.

ACC298611

When you change routers, you have to reset your slingbox.

http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-1000038.html

I found this out the hard way. It took several tries until the reset "took".  Then you have to go through setup again, this must be done within your own network on a computer that connects to the same router. -Good luck

omarrodz

Bob,

Did you figure it out?  I have the same issue with the same gear you mentioned and i cannot get my slingbox av to work.

thanks

Bob44

I didn't figure it out, but my son did. I'm not exactly sure what he did, but I'll see if I can get him to post an answer. He said it wasn't complicated.

Bob44

He said that in the     manual Slingbox settings, you should make sure that the address     of the router is set to the IP of your new one, and that the IP     address of the Slingbox is set to something in that router's     range. I'm not exactly sure what this means, but if you're a little more tech-savvy than I am, it might make sense to you. Hope this helps.