13 Replies Latest reply: Aug 20, 2016 12:36 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

Firestick DVR button grayed out (inactive) WHY?

esdwa Newbie

So I have set top box with integrated recorder. The Slingplayer PC app as well as Android Slingplayer control all functions including access to recorded programs, except Amazon Firestick singplayer where the button to access recorded programs is inactive, grayed out. So I am unable to.watch prerecorded programs with the Firestick.

Why? Can someone please let me know, it is appreciated.

• Re: Firestick DVR button grayed out (inactive) WHY?
          alanrichey42 Master

What device are you trying to control ?

esdwa Newbie

Same stb I am talking about in my initial post. On Firestick Sling app, there are missing or grayed out buttons like Custom 10 which pulls up all my recordings and the Program Guide. Which makes Firestick pretty unusable unless I want to watch live TV with no access to guide.

My PC amd Android Slingplayer  apps have these buttons available. So why Firestick does not?

alanrichey42 Master
                  Same stb I am talking about in my initial post. \

OK, well I have no idea what that is as I don't know where your initial post is.

>>>>My PC amd Android Slingplayer  apps have these buttons available. So why Firestick does not?

Remote was written by a different person and he obviously decided to map the DVR  function to a different button.

esdwa Newbie

Thanks Alan, that would explain it. Just wonder why would these buttons be inactive.

alanrichey42 Master

Basically all the usual buttons have a standard code to represent them so there can be no confusion.  But when it comes to functions that do not appear on the normal remote (DVR, Input, aspect.....) then Sling never bothered to define a standard.  So it was up to whoever designed the original BIN remote file to allocate them as they felt like.  So the DVR function will have a different value on each device remote file depending on who designed it.    But then the new mobile apps came along and they had to use a fixed code for each button.   So I guess the Firestick designer looked at a bunch of remotes and found that the majority used code 'x' for the DVR so he programmed the Firestick DVR button to be Code 'x',   Unfortunately it seems whoever programmed the remote for your device had decided to use Code 'y' for the DVR function and did not use Code 'x' anywhere, hence your DVR button is greyed out.,

esdwa Newbie

Seems Slingmedia did not take an additonal effort to replicate buttons available on PC or Android apps. But that is no surprise.

Seems like Firestick is useless when it comes to watching pre-recorded programs on my remote stb. Will have to stick to Chromecast for that.

It's a shame, cause one button to access recorded programs on dvr capable stb's would be a game changer. Instead it's another crippled sling client. Like everything else out there used to stream from Slingboxes.

There is nothing,  absolutely nothing equivalent to Slingcatcher right now that would work as good and would be convenient as catcher was.

Either I have to put my hands on my computer to stream slingbox which I hate after spending 10 hrs at work ... working on another computer.

Then we have Amazon Firestick, another inconvenient device with crippled functionality including inability to change channels using available remote buttons like direcrional ring.That is just so stupid, and slingmedia is silent about people screaming to bring this feature to Firestick app.

Then we have chromecast, fine device with bad support from Slingmedia, with flawed app that is unable to discover Chromecast properly forcing user to use screen casting. Or dropping cast randomly for no reason at least once per hour when watching my favorite show. (Thank God my stb has dvt with tivo like function so I can rewind missed part of the show when it happens.

And gozillions of useless Slingcatchers out there since slingmedia disconnected servers.

Slinging fate is to be make people not use these products in a long run. R.I.P is inevetable.

:-(