57 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2016 1:55 PM by JohnKeller RSS

Slingcatcher Servers Down?

PaulW
    Visibility: Open to anyone

I have been a Slingbox / Slingcatcher user for many years and was disappointed to learn that the Slingcatcher was being discontinued.  My old Slingcatcher died recently but I managed to pick up a replacement on eBay, which was great. However, I seem to be having exactly the same problem as Matt.Sling helped users to resolve back in 2013...  My Slingcatcher is connecting to my local network but is not displaying the Network LED. It is showing "No Network" even though I know it's connected properly (IP address issued and responding to ping etc). I can't log in to my Sling account so I can't point the Slingcatcher at my remote Slingbox . I have tried the steps that Matt outlined in 2013 but the account login screen isn't being presented, even for a second, on restart. I appreciate that the Slingcatcher is no longer supported, so it is possible that the Slingcatcher servers are no longer maintained, but it would be great to know if a workaround is available.  Can someone help me, please?

• Re: Slingcatcher Servers Down?
          esdwa Newbie

Try to perform hard reset on your new Slingcatcher, then configure it again signing to your account. Remember, catcher will recognize but won't connect to latest M1 and M2 boxes.

After logging in, both LED should come on.

I have two catchers using for 10+yrs and both recognize and stream from my Solo and Pro.

NYJJ99

I posted a message above.  Any ideas would help. Thanks.  John

esdwa Newbie

Wow, seems it's really happened. My both catchers see no network, only discovery of LAN slingnoxes works but that does not require Slingmedia servers to be up and running.

Did I miss something or Slingmedia just shut down the service just like that without announcement? Anyone?

billy684

I have the same problem. It would be extremely useful if Slingmedia would confirm whether the Slingcatcher has switched off the system.

bobg8zwf Newbie

The one catcher I have here in UK is working fine connecting to a pro in China and to a HDS600RS in UK. It logs into my sling account ok, but the network light remains off.

esdwa Newbie

Without slingcatcher network connection, do you see your remote slingboxe(s) available for streaming?

Cause I do not. I see only my local slingbox which is in another room in the same house, same LAN.

bobg8zwf Newbie

On the catcher, if I go to settings, sling account shows "no network". (Network light is off also).

But if I try to connect to one of my remote slingboxes, it shows that I am logged in (my username is shown at the top of the screen), and I can connect successfully to the slingbox. It plays fine. Also the list of all my boxes is displayed for me to select, both local and remote.

I seem to remember similar issue happening a few years ago. I think there are references to it somewhere on this forum. If I remember correctly, it was a problem with slings server, which after quite a long time they fixed.

I don't think slings techs actively monitor this forum. Just occasionally one of the mods will report that they have passed an issue up-the-line. But very rarely.

This is one of the worst products for reasonable level of tech support I have ever experienced. If they work, then fine, but if something goes wrong, then trying to get help is like trying to get blood out of a stone.

billy684

Bob, thanks. What i get is different. I get no network light and I cannot log into my account or see my slingnboxes. But in Settings - Network I do see my LAN

I recall this happening before and will try it again every so often. Jeff

NYJJ99

So what do we all do? Just wait until the servers are back up?    Long story short I have a similar issue using a slingbox solo. I get come motion fine and using external devices are fine to my slingbox.   But my slingcatcher  has No Network in my TV no marcher what I do.  Resets , router reboots nothing.  I can't even sign in to my slingcatcher  just says No Network!  Yet down in settings and network it shows my network connection ! And my IP address of my router !  But still says no network. !   This is mind boggling.   Never had this issue.

The sling catcher server is back up!!

NYJJ99

Any luck ? I'm having the same issue.  Slingbox solo connected to my Slingcatcher and worked flawlessly since 2009.   Even a month ago it was fine on my slingcatcher. Up until end of July it started giving me No Network on my Slingcatcher no matter what I did !   resets you name it.  I know my Slingbox solo works I go in the PC and it's fine through the Slingbox.com watch from PC and works on all external devices even my iPhone on sling player it works.  Only issue is the Slingcatcher does not read my router for some reason.   I know my router is fine I tried it numerous times.  I even swapped another Slingcatcher on there and same issue.    Is this it for Slingcatcher ??  Or am I missing a simple solution ?  Please help

esdwa Newbie

I guess, all Slingcatcher users got screwed by whoever decided to turn off servers. But hey! that I not the first time I feel the pain down there... I got screwed before in similar way by Skype when they decided to change their video codec which left thousands of Asus Skype SV1 video phone users left with no way to use their almost $400 device. This slingcatcher mess is a candidate for class action lawsuit case, if these servers are not temporarily broken but just just shut down for good. But what do I know, right?

foxyloxy

Also wanted to add my annoyance to this thread - between my folks and I we have 5 slingcatcher which have no network light, they are still working and finding the slingbox over the internet but I guess the moment my isp changes my internet ip address this will fail.

bzgoldberg

Hi Everyone, I too am experiencing the same exact issue, I will elaborate to the best detail I can of whats the scenario is. About 1 week ago, All five of my slingcatchers which are located in Missouri, USA at my home stopped working kinda. At first it was just the network light that was out on the front of the slingcatcher box next to the power led which was on. Next I was able to see both my Pro HD SB300-100 Slingboxes and connect to them at roughly between 3000kbps-5000kbps remotely to my slingboxes located in PA,USA. Alls well and good up until my perfectionism came into play and I wanted to see that light up network light on the slingcathcer. Well, let me ust say, that was a huge mistake and now I have absolutely no network light on the slingcatcher but when i go into network settings, I can see my routers IP address 192.168.1.11 and also the subnet 255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.1.1 and Primary DNS 192.168.1.1 and mac address of the slingcatcher. Thing is when i go to sling account to login in, it says "No Network" and when i got to Software Update, it says "No Network"

Needless to say, i think we can all agree something happen either by accident or interntionally and my bet is the not by accident one because within 5 minutes every single one of my slingcatchers were doing the same thing. There was No Network light and I factory resetetd the slingcatcher and now cant even login because it says "NO NETWORK"

So i decided to search all over the forums here and a few other places and found out this was an issue several years ago that went on for quite some time and Sling Media never owned up to. After the nearly 30+ hours spent this past week looking for a solution to this, I discovered a old firmware file for the slingcatcher that can be flashed in amatter of three steps. I tested it out on one of my four slingcatchers but it got so far and then failed for error code 3 one time and error code 0 another time. I did not try the firmware on the other 3 slingcatchers i own. So after all this here is where the real fun starts to know for sure its not on my end or my connection. First i swapped out all Cat6 cables, replaced router, used a powerline adapter, tried two different approved slingcatcher Power supplys but none of that fixed the issue of course. Going back to what i said in the beginning of this paragraph ,a owner of a slingbox had this issue and i believe it was roughly 5 years ago and he stated the only way to get it resolved until Sling Media fixed there end of things that alow Slingcatcher to connect for firmware and software updates, was that he called and requested a firmware file for the slingcatcher to manually reflash it. Fortunately i found this file but it did ot work for me. So you ask, what did i do next...

I called tech support and got no where the first time, not even 3 minutes into the conversation, i was being asked for money just to discuss the slingcatcher. I told the representative to have a nice day. The next day I called back and asked for a supervisor. I spoke to a supervisor name Matt in the Technicial Department and he acted in a similiar manner but was willing to talk to me but in no way shape or form, did he ever state that anything at sling media was the cause of this and it must be my local network or ISP.I replied, I do computer programming and networking for the past 9 years so i assured him it was not. I brought up the same issue people where having just like this thread is talking about except this happened several years ago where the equipment that handles slingcatcher synchronization and software was down. When I asked him if he could locate my the firmware for slingcatcher so i could reflash the slingcatcher myself, he sent me the windows software for slingcatcher, Oh, I must clarify, the person who sent me the windows software for slingcatcher, he was also in the technicial department and his name was Dan. Anyway, back to my conversation with the supervisor Matt, he ultimately said its not supported anymore, therefore if it stops working, it has to be the customers fault. I reiterated to him, and made the analogy, just because windos XP is not being supported officially anymore, there are still millions of people using it and you can find plenty of software and file for Windows XP even though its not supported. He laughed at me and from there I asked again,I said again, you or someone in another department who archives old files must have a copy of the firmware for the physical slingcatcher unit somewhere. He replied, "No Sir" its not supported any longer for several several years now and i said again, i get that but its been working for nearly 5 years when it wasnt actually supported officially but yet it still worked so something on Slings end is the cause of all my slingcatchers not working in addition to the people who are on this forum and many other forums Ive seen with similiar posting.

Anyway, thats really it for now. Ill add a few more things tomorrow as its 5:00am and i gotta get some sleep. Also if you would like to try that firmware file for Slingcatcher, shoot me a message and i will send it to you.

My Equipment I own that are Sling products:

4 Slingcatchers

5 Slingbox Pro HD SB300-100

3  SlingboxM1

2 Slingbox 500

1 Slingbox 350

My equipment that allows me to watch my slingboxes through the slingplayer app and not that crappy casting from the phone to tv like Roku uses and some other ones:

4 Slingcatchers

1 Boxee Box ( also stopped working at the same time slingcatcher stopped working, just the slingplayer app stopped working) everything else on boxee operates as normal

1 Fire TV

1 Netgear NEOTV MAX

1 Roku 4 which i literally returned after 1 day of using the slingplayer app where i had to cast it from my phone. It was so terrible.

jameshallett

Same problem here.. I wonder if Sling will fix it on Monday?.. I wish there was a NEW Slingcatcher available, I am sure they would sell tens of thousands of them. It is so much better than running Sling through apps...

ACC42752

I'll add that all 3 of my slingcatchers are experiencing the same problem (located in NJ). My step-fathers slingcatcher in NH is also experiencing the same problem.

Like all of you, we've swapped cables, rebooted our entire network, performed factory resets, etc...all to no avail.

It has to be an issue on slingmedia's end

bobg8zwf Newbie

From what I have been able to deduce, providing that a slingcatcher was logged in prior to the sling server failing, then the catcher will have remembered this and will have also remembered the available slingboxes. Therefore will be able to work. This is the case even if the power had been turned off.

But, if the reset button has been pressed (long press, not a short reboot press), or after previous use (prior to the server failing) it has been logged out, then it will not work.

I guess that the Windows CE 5 operating system and application was written in such a way to save to nvram the last useage status. And uses that information in event that it cannot contact sling server. But a long press reset or a log out causes the information to be cleared. Hence, as in my case, some people are able to use their catchers fine, while others have got "bricks" at the moment.

If sling do not intend to fix the server issue, then the only solution will be to force the catcher to get its logon information from another source. This entails trapping the server connect request from the catcher and sending it to a different server. This is quite easy to do, but the bigger issue will be the encrypted handshaking. I'll have a think about it next week when I am in my workshop in Shanghai.

bzgoldberg

I hope sling owns up to it and fixes the issue with slingcatcher as just on this thread alone there  could be close to a hundred people that have reported the same issue.

bzgoldberg

Hey man.  So I don't know if they intend to fix this issue we are all expierencing (well the ones like me who factory reset the slingcatchers)  but I sure hope they do as I paid near $250  for each one I own as im sure many other folks paid alot to for the slingcatcher.  All I can say is,  I hope that someone at sling,  monitors these forums and is aware that there is a server issue with slingcatchers not authenticating causing a no network light on the slingcatcher.  In no way shape or form was this a consumers fault.  When I called and spoke to the supervisor Matt,  he implied over and over it must be my ISP.  They have terrible customer service and wouldn't even acknowledge there was a issue with the slingcatcher as I pointed out hundreds of people with the same issue as me were posting on various forums. I really do hope they fix it so slingcatchers will work again but that being said,  I doubt they will fix it and doubt it will even be addressed in a public statement from sling Media.

NYJJ99

This is a shame.   I'm in the same boat as you and as many others.  This is wrong to shut down servers as many of us bought this product from their company to view.   I don't want to hear it's not available anymore and we shut down support for that product.   It don't matter.  Example,   The Nintendo Wii servers were NOT shut down a after the Wii U came out ?  It still works fine and still support for it for troubleshooting.   I know it's not the same as SlingCatcher but, there are many examples.  This is not right for those of us who actually purchased the product!    So the right thing Sling!!!  Turn them servers or whatever it is back on!!         

nutmonger Newbie

I have the same problem here in FL. However, remotely watching on wi-fi and on my computer and slingcatcher, all on the same network,  do not connect. It would not be to bad if I could connect somewhere on my work wi-fi. When I turn wi-fi off on iPhone I can connect no problem. I bought a roku to replace the slingcatcher. I have not been able to get that to work either. Should a roku be able to connect to a slingbox?

nutmonger Newbie

I would like to ask a very sensitive question. I do not know if this will be allowed here but here goes...

If the slingcatchers are down for good does anyone know of another device that will do the same thing?

ACC42752

Given that there are iOS apps for iPhone and iPad, they really expect people to use AirPlay and push the feed to an AppleTV. Problem for me is that from a pro-HD, doing this creates black bars on the tv (apparently this doesn't happen from the newer sling boxes, but of course the newer sling boxes don't work with slingcatchers). And in my opinion, pushing from an iphone or iPad for something like a 3 hour baseball game is just not ideal for battery or device usage.

My ultimate hope is that they release an sling player app for the new Apple TV that functions just like the SlingCatchers did. I do have one new Apple TV and check about once a week to see if they have released such an app (it should be an easy port over from the existing iOS apps), but so far there is just the Sling TV app they want you to subscribe to.

NYJJ99

Sort of. The Roku 3 , Amazon fire stick TV and a few other external devices have SlingPlayer apps that all connect to your sling box. Simply connect to your sling box via SlingPlayer app on your smart phone and wait for it to play on your phone. Then from the phone, choose Roku, Amazon FireStick or whatever device you have hooked up to your TV and make sure your phone is on the same wifi network as your device and boom.  You are done !   From your phone you can change the channels just keep it plugged in.  Also once you get to the channel you want to watch you can hit standby on your phone to dim it or even close the app and your SlingPlayer will still be on the last channel you selected.   Hope this helps.    BTW, sling catcher servers are up as of today !   Working again.

I recently bought 3 Slingcatchers from one of SlingMedia's main dealers who said they had been released to them by the company. It seemed like a good investment as the price was reasonable (a lot lower than they've been reaching on ebay). And I'd been concerned that many Slingcatchers have been failing and cannot be repaired. Now it seems to have been big waste of money. I hope SlingMedia will eventually have the courage to tell us if they switched off the servers.

bzgoldberg

To all of us who own a slingcatcher and cannot use it anymore for the past 2 weeks. I just called in to technical support for the third time in the past week and just 5 minutes ago got off the phone with Heather. (Shout out to Heather at Slingbox technical support for be awesome and helpful in regards to slingcatcher.) I advised her of what was going on with the Slingcatchers all of us own and have been using for years with no problems even though it is a discontinued product and unsupported, however it still was working since discontinuing the product. She told me someone from Slingbox would look at this posting in the forum here about the slingcatcher issues and provide all of us slingcatcher users some info as to what is going on? It is something on Slings side with there servers no doubt, just like when this hapened back in 2013 and was fixed by Sling. Hopefully they do the right thing and give us all an ETA when it will be back up online or if the server for slingcatcher is indefinetly going to be down and we all who own slingcatchers will no longer be able to use them to stream out slingboxes remotely or locally.

Good news to everyone. The Slingcatcher Server is BACK UP!! Everything is functioning properly and I was able to login to all 4 slingcatcher and view my slingboxes remotely through slingcatcher. Great Job to everyone on the forum who voiced their opinion as this most certainly a team effort in getting this resolved after it had been 2 weeks they have been down. Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

foxyloxy

Great news!!

jameshallett

Thanks everyone and Sling! :)

bzgoldberg

Is anyone having issues with slingcatcher. The network issue was fixed earlier today but now when i try to watch my slingboxes through slingcatcher, i receive error "Sorry, Slingcatcher could not connect to this Slingbox due to a  network error. Please try again." ?

My router is same setup as before but just to double check it is set TCP protocol

In addition, I am able to connect to my slingboxes on my PC and my Slingplayer app on my phone and macbook just fine. I am connecting to these devices remotely to by the way.

JohnKeller Newbie

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for posting this concern to our community forums.  We certainly can understand how frustrating it is to not have access to your Slingbox through the SlingCatcher.  Our engineers are aware of this issue, and are actively working on a resolution.

-John

Sling Media