Same for me. I used this last year extensively with little problem. I have tried it both on a Nexus 6 and an old Galaxy Note 3 with no luck the past week. I have cleared the app cache, uninstalled and reinstalled with no luck on both devices. Last week to cast a football game I ended up having to cast my entire screen which tied up my phone. Something is obviously wrong here.
I understand you are having issues with the Chromecast icon being available occasionally on the Slingplayer Android app. The following is a work around found by another Sling user, which we have tested here in our lab to work. Please follow the steps below:
- Open Google Cast app on your device
- Tap menu icon (three parallel lines) on search bar at upper left of screen
- Select "Cast screen / audio". This will cast your device's screen to the ChromeCast. (You could watch your SlingPlayer this way, but you can't turn off your device's screen and your battery won't last long)
- Start SlingPlayer. At this point there still is no ChromeCast icon.
- Stop SlingPlayer (remove it from memory)
- Restart SlingPlayer. Now, the ChromeCast icon is back!
- Touch that icon. Casting "whatever is on your screen" will stop, and casting from SlingPlayer will begin.
Sling Media Support!