18 Replies Latest reply: Aug 18, 2016 11:55 AM by RobEddleman RSS

SlingBox For FireTV Still Not Fixed

litchj
    Visibility: Open to anyone

Hello Slingbox Support,  please keep your Slingbox user community informed on what is going on with your actions to fix the app for FireTV.  Apparently, the issue was discovered two weeks ago in mid-June.  There is still no communication about when the fix will be released.  I rely on this app to watch TV remotely from my summer home, and now I have no TV.  This is a huge impact for users with a FireTV stick.  We at least deserve to be informed of any progress on the fix.

• Re: SlingBox For FireTV Still Not Fixed
          anthony.sling Apprentice

Hey Jeff,

Thank you for reporting this issue. We've been able to reproduce the issue here. We are working with Amazon on this matter to resolve it as soon as possible. We'll update you on the status when we can.

Sling Media Moderation Team

Anthony

VERY frustrating.

My brother has a Roku and he has had uninterrupted Slingbox service for about 3 years now.   I have had this thing for Fire TV for a month and it's not worked more than it has.

I don't know if this is a Slingbox issue, an Amazon issue, or a combination of both.  Bottom line is that I paid for this stuff and it isn't working.  I realize that "stuff happens" but enough is enough.  Either fix it or tell us that it can't be fixed so we can make other arrangements to watch TV.

camalus238 Newbie

Same problem. I actually went ahead and side loaded the Android app from my phone to my fire TV just so I could use it. Granted I had to also connect a Bluetooth mouse, but the picture is clearer too and streams better than the native fire TV app did.

I've tried tweeting at them, but I refuse to spend $30 to call them. No answer so far on the app being removed again.

ACC5584643

I have spoken to Fire TV App Dev Support and they have confirmed problem is with Sling pulling the app off. I'm In the same boat, have vacation home, came down this week only to find no sling player working, on any of my 5 sticks. I also have Roku, but found the Stick worked much much better.

hope it 's fixed soon or my wife will kill me, she is staying at vacation home for 3 weeks.

GREG@MERILLI.COM

very very frustrating......You pulled support from boxee box without notice, so I got a Fire TV stick.   now it looks like you again pulled support for fire tv without notice.  I want a connected device that does not require a phone or tablet to use(like Roku).....Here is what I have Neo TV(end of life but still works); WD TV Live(end of life but still works); Boxee box(end of life no longer works); Fire TV(active support but no longer working).  What options do I have. It seems that there are no connected devices(not end of life) that have a stand alone slingplayer app that works.......shame on you for such terrible support...

ACC512570

I am at my summer place for 2 months (I'm a teacher on summer break).  I bought an Amazon Fire TV to watch my Sling Box.  After plugging it in and not finding the Slingplayer app, I called Amazon and I was on the phone with support for an hour an a half as the Amazon support guy tried to figure out what the problem was.  They couldn't figure out why it wasn't on their app store.  I'm obviously disappointed mainly because Sling Box advertised on their website that the Slingplayer is avaiilable on the Fire Tv when I bought it 2 weeks ago.  Now that its not there, I feel duped.

Apparently the only solution as of today is to factory reset the FireStick, then reinstall the device and every app you've previously loaded and installed. Seems to be working for some, worked for me last night but haven't tried again today to verify yet. Yeah, that's a ridiculous solution but apparently the only one available right now.

The support and communication from Sling is like a case study in how NOT to handle a service issue.

For those with the box (not stick), go to settings-applications-manage installed applications-appstore and clear out data and cache.  This will allow the update to be downloaded.  My SlingPlayer is now working.  Not sure this works for those with the stick. 

Unfortunately,the side loading thing did not work for me.  I actually was able to get the slingplayer app from my tablet to the FireTV stick and launch it but there is a compatibility issue which makes the app pretty much unusable.  The app started but immediately I knew there were issues as the aspect ratio if the video was all screwed up.  I was able to log into my account and start watching but it's a hot mess and not watchable.

I will be getting a Roku.

Shame on you Slingbox.  You have the market cornered and we are at your mercy at the moment.  Trust me, though, the second a viable competitor arises I will be jumping ship.

It looks like the SlingPlayer app for firetv is back and working   it is also in the app store again   however  I had to go to factory default before it would install successfully    

GREG@MERILLI.COM

It seems that wd tv live no longer works gets same error as boxes box   the only two connected devices that work at this point are neot which is end of life or firetv  which has had issues recently.   all others require a second device like an IOS or Android device.  I also successfully side loaded SlingPlayer to my firetv   but some functions are a little fluky and do not work 100%   hopefully the firetv sling player app will keep working

RobEddleman

I can load the app on fire tv, but it always requires me to go to basic quality video. Other streaming apps don't have playback issues and slingplayer works fine on my phone or computer. Is there any way to fix the app settings? If I override it and go to HD or higher quality video, it won't buffer.