8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 26, 2012 2:58 PM by Matt.Sling RSS

Digital Tuner question

holmes182

When I bought my Slingbox Pro HD, the sole reason I bought it was because of the tuner, which allows me to watch tv on my computer through the Slingbox, without hogging up the cable box (thus allowing it to be used seperately).  Basically what I was told was that someone could watch TV at home through the cable box on whatever channel they wanted, while I viewed cable through the Slingbox on my computer on whatever channel I wanted.  This is not working though.  When I change the channel through my Slingbox, it changes the channel on the cable box also.  So we both have to watch the same channel for this to work.  How do I set it up so we can view different channels?

• Re: Digital Tuner question
          jimfitzgerald Apprentice

Coax from wall to Slingbox.  Coax from Slingbox to cable box.  HDMI or component from cable box to tv.  Component from cable box to Slingbox.

holmes182

Would this connection allow me to view all of my channels that I usually receive through the cable box?  Would the channel guide still show up when changing a channel (just like when changing a channel normally through a cable box)?

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

I believe this is the correct way to hook it up.  The coax to the Slingbox allows you to use the Slingbox internal tv tuner to view one program while someone else can use the cable box to view a different program on the tv.  You can also use the Slingbox to view programs from the cablebox but they will be the same program being viewed on the tv.  I'm pretty sure the channel guide will work properly when viewing from the cable box.  I don't know about when viewing from the Slingbox internal tv tuner.

dnyhan5050

Did you ever get that to work? I'm thinking of buying that product also, but not if you can't watch seperate channels.

holmes182

I did get it to qork but it is basically the equivalent of splitting the cable coming out of the wall, one side going to another tv that has a cable box and can view the guide and everything, while the other tv would not have the guide b/c the coax wire would be plugged directly into the tv.  I would really only recommend the product if you wanted to watch tv shows on your phone/computer while traveling. 

dnyhan5050

Thank you.  Yeah, for me, I would use this while at work while my wife would use the same cable box at home, at the same time.  It seems like that may not be the best option.  I was surprised that the new versions, the 350 and 500 do not come with built-in tuners. They must not have benn able to master that application.  Are there any other products that do this with built-in tuners?

holmes182

I am no expert by any means but I believe if you wanted the guide and everything else on your slingbox you would literally need to get another cable box soley for the slingbox.  The tuner for the Slingbox does allow you the option to switch between using the cable box and using just the straight cable (without the guide). 

Matt.Sling Apprentice

Hi,

Just in case you are still having any issues, I wanted to share this article: When I change channels on my Slingbox, they also change at home.

It has links to configure your tuner. Unless you have a dual tuner, it will indeed change the channels at home.

Thanks,

Matt