8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2016 11:55 PM by esdwa RSS

Unsupported video signal with fios

RChesterton
    Visibility: Open to anyone

I just got a slingbox M2. I have fios quantum (Arris VMS).

I have resolution set to 1080i in both the settings menu and the 'hidden' menu (power, select, menu). I also set the same on all of the client boxes in other rooms.

The fios box is connected to my TV via HDMI and to the slingbox via component.

When the TV is on, the slingbox works fine. With the TV off, I get the unsupported video signal message.

Does anyone have any suggestions (other than "connect to the TV using component" as this is not an acceptable solution)?

• Re: Unsupported video signal with fios
          alanrichey42 Master

Not sure why that is an unacceptable solution ?, but your only other choice is to spend a few hundred dollars buying an HD Fury.

RChesterton

Because it wouldn't work with the rest of my AV setup and I would rather use a digital connection which isn't susceptible to degradation.

I guess the real question is why the component signal becomes unsupported when the tv is turned off.

The opposite way around would make more sense.

Your suggestion of an HD Fury makes zero sense to me.  How is this an HDCP issue, when the component signal is becoming 'unsupported' when the TV is turned off?

Using a second connection (component) to the slingbox is listed as a supported way of connecting it.  Using this method, it would appear that you have to have the HDMI-connected TV on in order to use it, which is ridiculous when out of the house.

alanrichey42 Master
                  I guess the real question is why the component signal becomes unsupported when the tv is turned off.

Because the FIOS box will not output the signal on the component output until it gets an acceptable handshake on the HDMI cable.   When the TV is on it provides the correct handshake (all TVs are HDCP compliant).   When it is turned off then there is no handshake so the component signal is blocked.  TV Providers all use different messages in this situation, many are sensible and actually display a message that you 'cannot view protected content'.   DirecTV are particularity good, they actually display a message that tells you to remove the HDMI cable and use component cables.    It looks as though Verizon have decided to use the word 'unsupported', which I think is misleading.  But the fact that it works with the TV on and fails with the TV off does give it away as an HDCP issue.

BTW, I assume that if you disconnect the HDMI cable from the FIOS box then the component output to the Slingbox works OK ?   If it still gives that message then you have a different problem.

esdwa Newbie

Fury runs for hundred forty euros now. Not sure why some of you point to much more expensive  3 model, no need to.