6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2016 9:29 PM by ACC6440552 RSS

Support for 4K Roku TVs

cardoso94

I own the 55 inch Insignia 4K Roku TV, and the SlingPlayer app does not yet support this device for streaming (i.e. it can't be found for "casting" by the SlingPlayer Android app). Looking at the Sling forums, it seems this issue is happening on the TCL 4K Roku TVs as well. Can we please get support for the new 4K Roku TVs from the Sling app? Thanks!

• Re: Support for 4K Roku TVs
          esdwa Newbie

Yes, asking Slingmedia to support 4K on Slingbox is like asking formula 1 driver to race on bad country road in his million dollar bolid.

Seriously, 4K is not and will never be supported by any of video inputs latest slingboxes M1 and M2 have, not because Slingmedia is not up to the challenge,  it is because these inputs were not designed to accept 4K video (YPrPb) by standard based on which are made.

Unless Slingmedia plan to release some new Slingbox , say M3 that will have 4K supported HDMI input, asking for application to support make no sense because hardware does not support it.

Bu the way, the future of HDMI in Slingboxes met its fate sometime ago wjth 500 model being discontinued. The DMCA and international copyright treaties prohibits selling products equipped with HDMI inputs which would not be HDCP compatible. This is to prevent anyone from copying high definition through digital interface like HDMI. Reptable company like Slingmedia must obey those regulations and conduct legal business making every effort to meet these restrictions, hence chances we will see new Slingbox with HDMI input, not mentioning with 4K support are NULL.

cardoso94

I think you are missing the point. This has nothing to do with 4K Slingplayer content. It's simply about getting the app to work for streaming on the Roku 4K TVs, in the same manner as it works on the standard Roku boxes. Look throughout the forums; others are having the same issue.

Slingmedia, if you're listening, please add the 4K Roku TV support on your next iOS/Android app update. We have all been waiting for a long time for this!

whaleyse

I'm having the same issues with my new TCL Roku TV. Any dea when along with update their support for these Roku TVs?

mdedina

Same here. I just got a Insignia 4K Roku TV and I was very surprised when it didn't show up on my iOS Slingbox app. Very disappointing.

ACC6440552

Same problem here, still...