4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 23, 2016 11:02 PM by skeeter123 RSS

Low Audio Quality - M1

skeeter123

Yikes....first post here...

Audio on the M1 is horrible to say the least. AM radio quality at best... 96kbps? Really? REALLY? C'mon now.....I see lots of posts about this with absolutely no resolution. What's the real deal? Historically, audio is the red-headed step child of video....an afterthought at best.....is that the case here?

M1 will be returned to Amazon if no resolution comes forth.....If I've overlooked something, please advise...

Cheers, y'all..

• Re: Low Audio Quality - M1
          RichJ Newbie

Do not know your set up. Mine functions fine. I am waiting for Adapter so running SD while I wait. I would advise, check output settings on source and any sound settings on M1. If you are running HD is it set to 5.1? Alao check levels I have multiple  output level on SKY HD box. Overloading will distort and too low can cause sound probs due to over amplification. What caBling are you using? Lower quality cable can pick up interference if you run lots of equipment close together.

1 note they seemed to do update recently which killed my video but a system reboot has resolved this twice.

Good luck

Best regards

Rich

Sent from my iPhone

skeeter123

Thanks for the reply Rich..

Function is indeed fine. The audio lacks fidelity as one would expect from a lower bitrate encode. My setup is pretty much as follows:

DirecTV H34-700 series RCVR/DVR - - fixed audio output level. Levels are good.

Analog L/R out to M1.

M1 is ethernet cabled to router. (not wireless). Speed tests indicates I'm getting the down/up pipe that I pay for, with pretty low latency...

Audio quality seems to be the same for "Audio Only", "Auto", "HQ", and "SD" setting on Android phone.

Stock cables, no interference...

Audio is set to 5.1 for the surround system. I've read elsewhere setting the source to "Stereo" only, can help, but no empirical evidence to support this. I've also run the output of the DTV box directly to a decent amp and speakers and it sound quite good. The M1 seems to re-encode at a lower bitrate and doesn't go above about 96kbps.

I've tested the setup with a temporary lossless audio source from a laptop. Same results....audio just sounds like it's missing the high end of the audio spectrum and, to a lessor degree, the bottom end.

As others have pointed out, it appears that the audio encoding is capped at about 96kbps...like a bad/low bitrate mp3 encoding.... clear enough, but lacking full fidelity...I've yet to find anything definitive from the Sling folks.....

Cheers.... !

RichJ Newbie

Sounds like faulty unit. Have you tried a known line out stereo from a trusted unit?

Do you have same problems on macbook or laptop? Might be an app issue. What is the download speed you are getting on android phone. Some US carriers throttle back streaming.

Best of luck.

Best regards

Rich

Sent from my iPhone

skeeter123

Yup....known good source sounds the same....laptop audio out.... same....

Video looks pretty good in HD on all devices.....audio is consistently "tinny"...high-end is tinny...like a low bit-rate encoding...

On the same Android phone, same LTE network, Spotify, Pandora, Amazon music and Prime video, and Apple music all sound great (roughly 320 kbps). Netflix, Amazon Prime video and TouTube vids and audio look and sound great.....it's just the audio from the M1 that is sub-standard....I do want someone from Sling to chime in and tell us definitively what bitrate(s) are used for the audio on the M1. If is less than 128k, then, well, that explains it.....I'd also like to know what encoding scheme they use, but that might be proprietary...

Cheers!