23 Replies Latest reply: Oct 15, 2017 1:22 PM by zettamacs RSS

TCL Roku TV and SlingPlayer

huybiz
    Visibility: Open to anyone

I have the Slingbox Pro HD and am able to cast using SlingPlayer to all my other Roku's (2 and 3) in the network.  My new TCL Roku TV 55UP120 doesn't show up on the list of Roku devices to select from slingcatcher.  I've tried manually adding via IP address and it accepts it but doesn't list it as a Roku device.  I've verified the IP address shares the same first 3 numbers just like the other Roku's that work.  All software is up to date.  Could it be that the TCL TV is too new and SlingPlayer doesn't recognize it as a Roku?  The Roku model displayed in the TV About settings is 6110x.   Roku app sees it just fine.   Thoughts? Suggestions?  I'm going to return this TCL if it won't work.  Just go back to TV and Roku 3 model.

• Re: TCL Roku TV and SlingPlayer
          cardoso94

I'm having the EXACT same issue with the new Insignia 55" 4K Roku TV. I suspect the new 4K Roku TVs are not yet supported by either the Slingplayer App (Android, in my case) or the Slingplayer Roku app. I have another Roku 3 on my network that is seen fine, and every other app can see my new Roku TV (YoutTube, Smart Cast on my phone, the Roku Android app, etc.)...except for Slingplayer.  This is very frustrating.

Sling, if you are listening, can you please address this issue and update your apps to support the new 4K Roku TVs that are currently available!

huybiz

glad to hear it's not just me, :).   I contacted TCL and they said its a Roku issue.  Contacted Roku and they told me it should work and to reboot everything.   Still no luck.  I think it's a SlingPlayer issue not detecting the new Roku models. But my Slingbox support is past warranty and I'm not paying for tech support to tell me it won't work yet.

cardoso94

It's almost certainly a SlingPlayer issue not recognizing the model number on the new Roku TVs (or something close to that). Everything else involving my phone and Roku connects fine, EXCEPT the SlingPlayer app. The SlingPlayer app on the Roku TV itself is downloaded, but it seems to have no effect in helping the phone app detect the TV.

Is there anyone from SlingMedia that can confirm or deny this on any of the new 4K Roku TVs???

Hi all. Glad I found this forum. Same issue (TCL Roku TV 55UP120). Not sure what is worse...waterboarding or trying to get this working. Hopefully it's just an app fix and not having to return the tv and slingbox 500...

robofarrell88

I have the same exact problem.  Had an older TCL Roku TV and that worked fine.   Well...worked to connect but problem then became small compressed picture which was never resolved.   Now the new TCL 4K Roku TV cannot even get the Roku Icon to appear in the Slingplayer app.   I too can see the IP addresses and doing a manual "add roku player" sees the Roku device but doesn't connect.   This is very frustrating.   Please give us some insight to a resolution!   Oh...and I sure hope the picture isn't compressed when it finally connects!  That was another nice surprise when TV did a Slingplayer app 'update'.

ACC6639706

Having the same issue. Tried to input IP manually, sling app on iPhone 6 detects Roku player but no ICON appears. I went to all the support videos and they tell me to do what I've already done. My sling account is a month old so I suppose I should call them. Thought it was my network but based on this thread I believe it's a sling box v TCL Roku issue. I am thinking of returning TCL Roku TV and buying Apple TV device with a new smart TV.

huybiz

I'm pretty sure it's the SlingPlayer not recognizing the Roku hardware.  I checked the AppStore frequently for a SlingPlayer update, but no luck.  With my return window closing in, I've since returned the Roku TV and went with a 'dumb' TV and a Roku stick.  That TCL took a little long to boot up anyway.

robofarrell88

I have an older TCL Roku TV and it works good except the compressed picture after an update.   That problem hasn't gone away.   I created another thread to try to figure out how to create an actual support case with Slingbox:  How do you create a real Support Case at Slingbox??!!

Would be great to be able to talk to someone in support rather than just post to these discussions "hoping" someone at Slingbox will 1) see it and 2) care enough to respond.

I have owned a slingbox for over 10 years.  Had the first model.  Bought another HD version.  Have had probably 20 other friends and family buy them because of my experience.   But now this is pretty frustrating.

Same problem here with TCL Roku TV, has anyone been able to fix or figure it out?

philroemer

I also have the exact same problem with my new TCL Roku TV.  Very frustrating and no help calling Sling.

Moorya

I'm having the same issue on a 4K 55 inch TCL Roku tv. Can we please get this fixed? The app downloads to the tv but trying to go from mobile device to app doesn't work!!!! The mobile sling app doesn't recognize the Roku TV!!!!!

nicktsa

Same issue with the TCL 55 but the TCL 32 works fine.  Please fix.  I've been updating whenever possible hoping it would fix but no such luck.

ACC6440552

Same issue here with TCL 65. No cast icon in Android app....

Any updates on this?  How can it be that Roku TV is listed as supported, yet my TCL 4K TV will not Sling?  I have to take my old Roku and attach it to my new TV to get it to work.  Ridiculous!  Sling, please do something about this....

ewardo11

TCL 55" 4K and same issue - no cast icon. Cant get slingbox to work on TV. Incredibly frustrating....

The TCL Roku TV does not work with sligbox. I called both Roku and Slingbox. Both pretty useless. The guy at Slingbox told me that the version of Roku TV on TCL sets is not compatible. I find this pretty crummy since they both advertise compatibility. The best solution is to use a fire stick from amazon that just pulls up the app and works, rather than needing to cast from a device. Pretty disappointed in Slingbox and Roku.

zettamacs

My SlingPlayer app will positively confirm it found the RokuTV, but the icon to transfer the stream to the TV never appears...just the Airplay icon, which has my AppleTV in it, but not my new RokuTV.

Part of the reason I bought the TCL TV was because it had a built-in Roku and I would not have to attach another device.  I only want to use it to watch PS Vue and SlingPlayer.  I found out the Vue app is terrible and the SlingPlayer doesn't work.

I should have bought the Visio and an Amazon FireStick.