30 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2017 10:39 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

New Cable TV HK set top box

Byylam
    Visibility: Open to anyone

Cable TV Hong Kong changed my set top box to a new one. The model is EKT7500SHKC. I cannot find such a modeling the list provided by Slingbox when I configurate my Slingbox. I can watch the channels but cannot change channel as there is no correct remote IR provided. Anybody who can help ?

• Re: New Cable TV HK set top box
          alanrichey42 Master

I assume you have already done a proper Forum Search for your model number in case other people have already answered your question ?

If so and that didn't help then check out this thread:  https://community.sling.com/message/10363#10363

Come back if it that doesn't help either.

Al

paul_au1234

Any updated BIN file for DCD7500SHKC ??

alanrichey42 Master

If you read this thread you will know I am still waitinbg for Benjamin to tell me if the Cutom Remote works,.   Have you not tried it either ?

Byylam

It does not work. Very depressed.

Benjamin Lam

alanrichey42 Master

OK, I give up on you.  I specifically asked you to read those instructions and you have ignored my request,   I am more than happy to help anyone, but I do expect them  to actually do what I ask.

Byylam

Thanks Alan.

Regards,

Benjamin Lam

alanrichey42 Master

You're welcome.  Let's see if Paul is prepared to help and read the instructions properly.

paul_au1234

Tried to use custom with EKT DID7006.zip BIN file but still failed for IR control. Any other suggestion?

Thanks!

Paul Au

alanrichey42 Master

Why does no-one read my instructions !!!!!   I spent a lot of time carefully writing them so we would not have to keep going through these question and answers suggestions, but everyone ignores them.   VERY frustrating.

Look, the instructions CATEGORICALLY state;

If you have any problems installing these files please do NOT just report back it ‘doesn’t work’, that is totally useless for someone trying to understand what is going on.  So please report all of the following: (followed by 12 questions)

So Benjamin replies  "....ir does not work..:    and you reply "...but still failed..."

I despair

twhchan

Hi Alan,

Thank you for your kind effort and help in advance.

I have tried to follow the instructions to try your file, but it stuck when I try to "Test" the BIN file.  Details below:

1.   What model Slingbox do you have?

Slingbox Solo

2.   Was there any error message after you typed in the Code and tapped the Test button (or selected the file and tapped ‘Continue’ on the M1 & M2)?

Capture.PNG

3.   Did you give the commands plenty of time to react?  (I have a DVR that takes about 6-8 seconds to power up/down)

N/A

4.   If you are using a Solo did you try both BIN files?

Tried both, but the result are the same as Q2

5.   After completing the setup do any of the buttons work?

N/A

6.   If you are installing on a Solo or Pro-HD or older box that uses an external IR Blaster, have you used a Digital Camera or Mobile Phone Camera to confirm the IR Blaster is actually firing when you tap the Power button?  (Watch the tip of the IR Blaster through the viewfinder while you tap a button.  You should see a white (not red) flash.  Test it on a real remote so you know what you are looking for).  If you are using a 350/500/M1/M2 have you tried using the external blaster?

What is external IR Blaster?

7.   Have you experimented with the placement of the IR Blaster?  On some devices this is critical so don’t give up too quickly.  Try shining a flashlight at the front of the receiver and see if you can see the IR receiver behind the smoked glass.

Not yet try

8.   Are you sure the device is working correctly using the real remote?

Yes

9.   Are you sure your device is set to use IR ?  Many boxes can operate on RF or IR and if it is set to RF then the Slingbox will not affect it.

It is IR

10.  If you have a device that supports multiple remote addresses (DirecTV, Dish Network, Tivo…) are you sure the remote address is set to the default ?

No idea

11.   Have you tried resetting the Slingbox. ?  This has been found to help.

Not yet try

12.  Do you have access to a Logitech Harmony Universal Remote?  If so let me know.

Cannot find my model in there database

Regards,

Taka

alanrichey42 Master

For heavens sake, now we have THREE people who don't read instructions.  What is the matter with you people ?

2.   Was there any error message after you typed in the Code and tapped the Test button (or selected the file and tapped ‘Continue’ on the M1 & M2)?

Capture.PNG

If you bother to follow the instructions they say :

================================================================================================

If you get this error message there are 2 possibilities.  The first is that you are using the wrong (RV or PL) file for your Slingbox, so try the other.   For the other possibility you have to realise that it does not mean ‘Invalid Custom BIN file’.  It actually should read ‘Custom Remote BIN file not found’, so the likelihood is that you have not typed in the file path and filename correctly.   Not sure why Sling did not use a more appropriate message in this case.

===================================================================================================

So I am guessing it is not seeing the BIN file, and that is because you also ignored my other piece of advice

===============================================================================================

After obtaining the remote bin file and putting it somewhere on your Hard Drive (I recommend the root folder C: to make life easier),

===============================================================================================

6.   If you are installing on a Solo or Pro-HD or older box that uses an external IR Blaster, have you used a Digital Camera or Mobile Phone Camera to confirm the IR Blaster is actually firing when you tap the Power button?  (Watch the tip of the IR Blaster through the viewfinder while you tap a button.  You should see a white (not red) flash.  Test it on a real remote so you know what you are looking for).  If you are using a 350/500/M1/M2 have you tried using the external blaster?

What is external IR Blaster?

It's the piece of wire that you have plugged into the Slingbox and put the other end in front of the device you are trying to control.    I assume you have actually done that ?

And until you have done the camera test there is no point in trying anything else.

Al  (Getting close to killing himself )

paul_au1234

Dear Alan,

Do u mean iPhone camera can see the IR signal from normal TV remote or Slingbox IR blaster? I tried to use iPhone camera to focus on IR transmitter of general TV remote but cannot see any flash light.

BTW I tried to load C2010_RV bin file which can be downloaded successfully. However channel switching function still cannot work.Also failed to load C2010_PL.bin file which reported by twhchan  before.

C2010_RV.gif

Thanks!

Paul Au

alanrichey42 Master

Do u mean iPhone camera can see the IR signal from normal TV remote or Slingbox IR blaster? I tried to use iPhone camera to focus on IR transmitter of general TV remote but cannot see any flash light.

OK, not sure now.   I just checked with my iPhone and the main camera does not show anything, however, the front facing camera does show the flash.  And my Android phone and Windows phones both show a very healthy flash.    Maybe Apple have added an IR Filter to their phones ?

BTW I tried to load C2010_RV bin file which can be downloaded successfully. However channel switching function still cannot work.Also failed to load C2010_PL.bin file which reported by twhchan

Which is all explained in the instructions.  Why does no-one read them ?

paul_au1234

Dear Alan,

I will try to arrange Android phone to check IR signal from IR blaster. What can we do if IR signal detected?

Thanks!

Paul Au

alanrichey42 Master

One of you is going to have to buy a Nevo C2 or a Logitech Harmony 650 off e-bay and learn the codes.

Puddinggow

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I just upgraded my HK Cable TV to HD set top box - DCD7005sHKC.  I was getting quite panicked at not being able to find any remote to make it work and I thought it was the Digi DCD4414iRR which AL had built but that didn't work.  I was on the verge of calling the cable TV company to tell them to return the old set top boxes.   So I read through all the threads again and tried the EKT DID7006 PL file.  Bingo!  It's obviously not 100% the actual remote but it's near enough and most importantly you can change channels and control the menus.  So it works for the one of the models at least.  Al, thank you - you are a genius - you helped answer my questions about the MagicTV box last week and you saved my sanity!  Thank you so much and I hope this helps others.