9 Replies Latest reply: Jun 22, 2016 9:58 AM by RichJ RSS

M1 Replacement

RichJ Newbie

I apologize if this duplicates but I have been unable to find solutions on site.

Replacing old Classic in United Kingdom connected to SKY+ HD box via EIA Multiport connector to composite video and audio to rca’s.

I want HD 1080p (forget about 4k yet) and also to use WIfi.

q1. It appears that HDMI pass through on US boxes does not permit location shifting on any material not just Protected (movies etc) through HDCP implementation by SKY. Is this correct?

q2. The M1 is available in UK however it is listed twice as if another model could be being inrotiduced. What is difference between M1 and M2 and are a new models due for release in UK market soon?

q3. In US there are DVR’s with integrated Slingbox functionality. Are there any plans to integrate Slingbox functionality to a premium SKY Q box as this could resolve HDCP issue as it could still be used for legal activity.

q4. Does the Gang Hu adapter as advertised on US website work on UK models? I presume I would have to buy in US to avoid EU red tape?

q5. Does M1 model support 5g WIfI as 2g band is very busy here.

q6. Whilst you suggest minimum Bandwidths for HD and SD, please can you advise the maximum Bandwidth the M1 can use? My older model would compress and blocking until I was talked through changing configs by support. I am using Virgin Media at 250 Mbps. on 2g I get actual minimum 65 Mbps download and 12 Mbps upload using Wifi on Iphone, ipad or Mac Book. I can use ethernet to get higher rates but would prefer wifi.

Look forward to getting some answers and again apologies if in wrong place.

Thanks

Rich

• Re: M1 Replacement
          alanrichey42 Master

Before I try an answer somethings, forget about UK & US.   Although Sling Media produced a separate European model for the Classic and the Pro-HD, that was ONLY because they needed a different tuner.  Now they have stopped including tuners a Slingbox is a Slingbox is a Slingbox.

q1. It appears that HDMI pass through on US boxes does not permit location shifting on any material not just Protected (movies etc) through HDCP implementation by SKY. Is this correct?

Nothing to do with the Slingbox.   HDCP is implemented by the TV Provider to prevent you recording HD content, it just so happens that catches us as well.   The HDMI pass through is exactly what it says, just a wire connected inside, doesn't go through any circuitry at all.

q2. The M1 is available in UK however it is listed twice as if another model could be being inrotiduced. What is difference between M1 and M2 and are a new models due for release in UK market soon?

As far as I know they are identical.  Sling Media have never said why the M2 was introduced.   And they will never tell you about future plans.

q3. In US there are DVR’s with integrated Slingbox functionality. Are there any plans to integrate Slingbox functionality to a premium SKY Q box as this could resolve HDCP issue as it could still be used for legal activity.

Same answer.  In fact if you read the House Rules for this forum it specifically states you should NOT ask about future products.   My gut feeling is no.

q4. Does the Gang Hu adapter as advertised on US website work on UK models? I presume I would have to buy in US to avoid EU red tape?

See my first statement.

q6. Whilst you suggest minimum Bandwidths for HD and SD, please can you advise the maximum Bandwidth the M1 can use? My older model would compress and blocking until I was talked through changing configs by support. I am using Virgin Media at 250 Mbps. on 2g I get actual minimum 65 Mbps download and 12 Mbps upload using Wifi on Iphone, ipad or Mac Book. I can use ethernet to get higher rates but would prefer wifi.

Sorry, have no idea.

Al

RichJ Newbie

Hi

Thanks for this. On their FAQ's they have added a will my US box works overseas and it says no. Probably for tuners as you suggest.

I was using everyday speech but I understand on pass through. The effect of my comment was the HDMI out only allows for pass through. Sky do add protection to some Sky Movies and a lot of catch up and box set materials. I have used a component display via cheap adapter and it fails on protected but not general content. It appears that all SKY output will not be location shifted.

So I will order my Gang Hu adapter when it comes in stock and then go with M1 (I see CUrrys have good price as no upgrade plan in UK).

Luckily SKY still use old HDMI standard but I am sure 2.0 with ethernet and HDCP 2.2 + will present issues. All that said location shifting is geat for business traveler and being able to get HD will be great (assuming Hotel Broadband will not block it). Thanks

alanrichey42 Master

On their FAQ's they have added a will my US box works overseas and it says no. Probably for tuners as you suggest.

The only one I could find says it because the adapter is 110V only.  I find that odd as I bought my Slingboxes in the US and they came with a 110/250V adapter.

I have used a component display via cheap adapter and it fails on protected but not general content.  So  I will order my Gang Hu adapter when it comes in stock and then go with M1

The problem is that you need an HDMI to Component converter that also strips out the HDCP signal.  But because this is frowned on you will very rarely find it advertised in the specifications.   And the Gang Hu has been back order for months.

That is why I use the composite SD output for my Sky box.   Avoids all these problems and I still get a reasonable picture.

Al

RichJ Newbie

A Slingbox purchased in the US includes a US-specific 110V AC adapter, which only works in North America. The Slingbox 500 also has on-screen features that are only supported in North America..

Do not care about AC as I use a pricey 110-120 v downverter  as I have many US appliances.

Going ahead with Gang Hu as HD Fury is now $500. Will let you know. I am not expecting problems using it from houses but keen to see if hotels block streaming speeds.

Thanks for help.

Could you tell me what platforms you use? My old one was only on Windows 7 laptops. Going to set this up on iPad mini  4 and Mac Book Air all running latest software. Do you know of any issues?

Appreciated.

alanrichey42 Master
                        Going ahead with Gang Hu as HD Fury is now $500. Will let you know.

The Gang Hu is fine, it is just that people have been waiting months to get one.

Could you tell me what platforms you use? My old one was only on Windows 7 laptops. Going to set this up on iPad mini  4 and Mac Book Air all running latest software. Do you know of any issues?

No idea on the Mac, I use Windows 10.  But I also use iPhone/iPad.   The only issues I am aware of is a number of bugs in the Mac virtual remote that Sling seem reluctant to fix, but they are mainly cosmetic and not show-stoppers.

esdwa Newbie

I use multiple Slingboxes for 10+ years in multiple locations as I travel a lot and have homes in multiple continents, here is my 5 cents:

a1. Yes, you need to strip HDCP from HDMI on your stb, for this you need HDFury2 adapter to convert from HDMI to YPbPr (Component) to get HD picture.

a2. I purchase Slingboxes either in US or DE amazon. The difference is power adapter, prices are similar, the UK amazon has crazy prices, I never use it.

a3. I do not rely on Slingbox DVR, could never made it to work. Desktop applicaiton has time shifting buffet but it is not DVR. Get cable box with recording function from your cable provider and hook it up to your slingbox. I've done it, works great.

a4. The only adapter that is guaranteed to work 100% is HDFury2. All other including chinese brands like Gang Hu are not guaranteed to work, one piece can work , another wont this is because people who make them are no-name OEM's who try to sell these in countries with Copyright Law where use of non-HDCP compliant device is illegal. Do not bother with these.

a5. YEs, my M1 runs over 5GHz as well as through 2.4GHz.

Hope this helps.