4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2010 12:44 PM by Lotspaih RSS

Setup is saying my browser is not supported

Lanza Newbie

When I run setup on slingbox.com it is now saying "We're sorry -- your current browser (or system) is not supported" even though Watch works.  I'm using IE8.  Setup used to work on this browser/PC.

• Re: Setup is saying my browser is not supported
          Biggins

I am having the same problem.  I was using IE9 beta.  I switched over to safari and I got the same message there too.  Please advise.

freedm2993

I get the same thing too totally frustrated at this point please help...really thinking about returning my Pro.

Lanza Newbie

I think I've found what was causing my problem.  My browser (IE8) User Agent was identifying itself as both IE8 and IE6.  I'm not sure if it was a bug or acorruption or a feature of IE8 being installed on top of IE7 on top of IE6 but I deleted a registry entry saying IE6 and "Setup" now works.  The "IE6 active inside" popup on "Watch...." has also gone.

Check http://whatsmyuseragent.com/ to see what your browser is saying.

Maybe IE9 beta and Safari are really not supported, I've not tried either.

Lotspaih

The last post definitely fixes the issue.  Fixing the registry files does the trick.

Follow these instructions:

I followed this process-found one to remove. The other 3 listed WIN32 and not Windows NT 5.1 so i did not remove them. As you can see in the example above, an IE6 user-agent string is written in the middle of the IE8 user-agent string. This bad string is dynamically generated out of a registry key. By removing the registry key, you can fix the problem. To fix this, click START > RUN > REGEDIT.EXE. Using RegEdit, navigate to these four keys HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent\Post Platform HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\User Agent\Post Platform HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent\Post Platform ...and remove any elements from the "Name/Type/Value" list that contain Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1) ;

Credit to:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/thread/260468dd-3a34-4a9a-b349-51f213362a61