26 Replies Latest reply: Nov 25, 2016 3:55 PM by RSS

Slingplayer for Boxee Box No Longer Connecting

topgun1000
    Visibility: Open to anyone

I used the slingplayer app on the boxee box to watch my slingbox on my tv. Up until yesterday (May 13th, 2016) everything was working fine. Today, when attempting to load up the app, I get an error "code:3" which states that the connection is lost and to make sure you're connected to the network. The screen that should load is the one where it allows me to select which slingbox I want to watch. I am able to connect using my laptop, iPad, and iPhone, just not on the boxee.  Is this happening for anyone else?  Any solutions?

• Re: Slingplayer for Boxee Box No Longer Connecting
          meravmos

Likewise! Boxee Box can no longer connect, error code: 3

Seems that it's due to network maintenance yesterday : https://www.facebook.com/SlingboxUS/posts/1230936530251060

Having the same issue -- only a problem with my Boxee Box that has started yesterday. I watch from my boxee box solely, so need to get this fixed. Not an issue with my browser or my Windows 10 Mobile app.

I am having the same problem.  All of a sudden Boxee will not connect. Sling, Please fix the Boxee services

pallaras

I have the same issue too.... What's going on ???

GREG@MERILLI.COM

ever since Dish bought Sling they have been going down hill.  This is just the latest example of poor programming.  I went with Dish, because of remote viewing.  Big mistake.  DVR reboots itself several times a month.  PC software for both Dish anywhere and Slingbox is buggy to say the least.  The features that dish has to offer are great compared to directv, however, their execution of these features is really bad....they must hire budget programmers.  I should send them the bill for a new tv the next time it reboots it self in the middle of watching something and end up throwing the remote at the TV.  Or the next time the sling app fails.  my internet speed is 120/10 so that is not the problem.  It is consistent when I test the speed also.

Same issue here.  Had to start using iPad with Roku, which is a bit on the buggy side as well.  Keeps dropping the connection from the remote to Slingbox, but at least it works.  Really hope that Sling fixes this.  Boxee had the only decent solution out there.  The Dish Anywhere and Sling apps for the PC are both ****, not to mention having to tie up my PC as a makeshift tuner.

Gloweb1

I have the exact same issue!  Worked fine until last week and then poof!  Slingplayer asks for login info, which when input results in error code #; "cannot connect".

Definitely not the Boxee's fault.  I've accessed many other apps, the browser, checked all internet connections (wired in my case); everything working fine, except slingplayer app.  I suspect Sling had an update which rendered the Boxee useless. 

Anuyone at Sling looking into this issue?  Can we get our sling player back? 

Using a Sling Pro HD and trying to airplay results in a picture about 1/3 the size of my 50" screen and the image is squashed, as if stretched 4:3 into 16:9.  Horrible!

I have the same connection problem with Boxee Box. I have also tested to have a fix IP adress however without sucess, as the sling player app always answers

wrong IP adress even if the tested IP is free in the router.

With 5 Slingboxes and 6 Boxee Boxes in the family we would like the issues to be solved as soon as possible. I am sure that Slingbox's Directory services sends

out some bad instructions to the box preventing it from connecting.

I have also installed Boxee Hack on one box. Everything else but the Sling app, that still has error "code:3", works very god.

What is everyone planning on using as their new streaming device to? As I assume everyone here was using Boxee Box to stream from SlingBox to their actual TV screens -- not computer screens.I was leaning toward Roku, however  I just learned that it requires you to have an Android or iPhone (as a remote to be able to control the Slingbox -- NO THANKS!) and I have no intention of switching my smartphone. So that's out.

Now leaning toward the Amazon Fire TV or one of the later WD TV solutions (WD TV seems quite old though). Moreso towards Amazon Fire TV, however I have no plans on becoming an Amazon Prime member as I reside overseas (I'd set up my DNS using one of the DNS services to get the US content though).

I mainly use my Boxee Box currently for Netflix, streaming movies and videos on my own internal network and most importantly Slingbox (I've got a cable box set up with it at a relatives place in the US), so this is a complete disaster for me and I need a new solution ASAP.

Just wondering what everyone here is going to do and to learn some pros and cons with each before I pull the trigger on a new streamer.

Gloweb1

Send the easiest solution may be to hook up your laptop via hdmi to your screen.  Works well, if you have that option.

Sent from my iPhone

GREG@MERILLI.COM

I think that the Fire TV stick is the best solution.  There is one big caveat, You have to have one of the latest sling boxes.  My Brother has a PRO-HD and the fire TV Stick does not work with that sling box.   If you have an older sling box then the WD TV would probably be the best.  I have a slingbox 500 and the fire tv stick works great and it is only $40.00.  You can also get a Netgear NeoTV(which also has the stand alone player) cheaper than the WD TV but I actually like the WD TV better .  I have a ROKU stick and the link between the Phone/tablet the Roku is not that great and sometimes drops.  Yes, I have one of each of the connected devices just because I like to play with them. 

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I just had picked up a SlingBox 500 not even a month ago that I planned to use specifically w/ my Boxee Box before all this happened, which is why I am royally ****** because these morons still have it posted on the site that all their SlingBoxes are compatible with Boxee Box still to this day.

I do believe that Sling has a legal requirement here to fix the problem. I used to work for a major consumer-facing telecommunications company and we always followed a ramp-down procedure due to local laws whenever we sunset a product or a service. We weren't able to do an update and then say 3 days afterwards: "We're looking into it and will resolve soon." and then a day after that go ahead and say something like, "Oh yeah by the way, Boxee Box's SlingPlayer app is no longer supported, suckers." There are local laws around the world where it's required that in a situation like this, the company is required to give proper notice (I believe it's several months, if not more) before just pulling a stunt like this one that SlingBox did. These guys are running a moron ship here because in researching last night I read reviews and comments from 3 different people who have been told in just the past week by their Sling's support that even though these users had the SlingBox Pro HD that they could pick up the Amazon Fire stick that you mentioned and that it would work. Clueless.

Back to the streaming boxes, I forgot about the Netgear NeoTV, which has the similar QWERTY remote and is something I was really interested in too. My concern with that though is from what I can tell it's not that up-to-date and has been out for several years now. Valid concern? How does it hold up for you and are there similar apps and functionalities as the Boxee Box offers?

And with the Fire TV, I'd get the box version as I'd also plan to set up Plex with it to run all my moveis and shows on my local network and it has more power. I heard Fire TV is very skewed toward Amazon Prime members, which I'm not. I see it has all the major apps though, even the Prime service competitors like Netflix and Spotify, which are both big wins for me. What are your thoughts about it? Much appreciated the input here! Cheers!

GREG@MERILLI.COM

I agree with your concerns about Neo TV.  FYI The qwerty remote only comes with the Neotv Max(NTV300SL).  I would be also concerned about the WD TV.  Both of these products are older and Sling(AKA Dish) seems to have no problem dropping support with no prior notice.  As my repeated gripe...since Dish bought Sling, they have really gone down hill for support.  My Opinion is that Fire TV is the safest of the choices that have a stand alone player built in.  If you are set on the fire tv box there is a third party qwerty keyboard that fits over the voice remote and connects using a USB dongle to the Fire TV Box.  Currently it is only $16.99 on Amazon.  I am an amazon Prime member, but the only time that comes into play with the fire tv stick is with the Amazon Apps.

Mini Wireless Keyboard Work with Fire TV Voice Search Remote by iPazzPort for Fire TV KP-810-30K

rpcb61 Newbie

To be clear. While you need an Amazon account to start using the Fire TV and to download the free SlingPlayer App for Fire TV. You don't need an Amazon Prime account at all. I hope this is clear.

Thanks, yes that part is clear. What I'm curious about is how good/bad is the user experience if I'm not a Prime Member. I've read and seen reviews and a couple mentioned that you'll "suffer" but that could just be fluff. I already have my own digital solutions that I'm already very deep in with (Spotify for music, OneDrive for storage, Netflix for movies) and I reside overseas so I have no intention of becoming a Prime subscriber.

I have exact same problem, I checked and I have latest Boxee version (which is old ) and did a reset - still get can't connect but other Apps do connect, just not Sling-player ??????