3 Replies Latest reply: May 5, 2016 10:26 AM by markmmcnamara RSS

ipad to hdmi or ipad to appletv - M1 or M2

markmmcnamara

Hello, I am going to go blind reading all the posts about problems with airplay so I figured I would just ask the forum my specific question(s).

First things first - I currently own (5+ years) a Solo HD. It pretty much works 85% of the time on my computer, iphone, ipad etc. It does cut out from time to time. After giving it a static IP a while back it has been much more stable.

It used to work great when cabled to a TV (via ipad or iphone to hdmi or component). This was awesome as I travel quite a bit for work. Hooking it up to a hotel TV (when possible) was flawless.

Before they did some crazy update my ipad to component and ipad to hdmi output would fill the screen to the correct aspect ratio.

Like most I am now stuck watching a screen that is at best 2/3 filled with black bars.

I have pretty much given up and I am looking for another solution - not so much for travel but I want to sling to a TV that is not near an STB or Ethernet.

If you skimmed over the first part here goes (sorry for the obnoxious format - like many other long time sling owners I am really frustrated):

If I purchase an M1 and airplay to my tv will i have no problems with aspect ratio?

If I purchase an M2 and airplay to my tv will i have no problems with aspect ratio?

If I purchase an M1 and HDMI out of my ipad to a TV via sling app will there be problems with the aspect ratio?

If I purchase an M1 and Component out of my ipad to a TV via sling app will there be problems with the aspect ratio?

If I purchase an M2 and HDMI out of my ipad to a TV via sling app will there be problems with the aspect ratio?

If I purchase an M2 and Component out of my ipad to a TV via sling app will there be problems with the aspect ratio?

Thanks in advance, any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

• Re: ipad to hdmi or ipad to appletv - M1 or M2
          markmmcnamara

edit - i currently have a prohd not a solo

• Re: ipad to hdmi or ipad to appletv - M1 or M2
            markmmcnamara

Karl thank you for your reply.

Although the info you provided is helpful, I want to make sure that if I purchase another sling product I am not going to have the same issues that I have with my ProHD.

Which is to say, with my ProHD I get black bars when I HDMI or Composite out of my ipad air 2, ipad 3 and my ipad 2 (using the most recent sling app and most recent iOS version). I know airplay is a known issue - it wasnt until something was changed or upgraded on your end but nevertheless its a problem I am aware of.

My STB is verizon fios quantum IPC1100 and I have tested it with both 1080p and 1080i. The TV I am trying to display it on has been tested on all of its picture size settings and no matter what I still find myself watching a stretched screen. The picture looks great but once I zoom it looks horrible. I have also followed the instructions on HQ and Auto via the app and all of the other advice offered on the forum.

As far as apple tv airplay goes - its a nice feature to use but it is far from a priority since I have the cables (both composite and hdmi) to connect to the ipad.

I have tried to cable out of the ipad on other tv's and have the same issue so that is ruled out.

Bottom-line is I understand I have an older model slingbox. If I need to upgrade I will however I want to be sure a newer model is going to be the solution to the screen issue.

Thanks again