14 Replies Latest reply: Jun 3, 2011 2:11 PM by KBULL1 RSS

FPS drop and audio stuttering after switching channels

jakejm79

I just set up my Pro-HD (after getting rid of a Solo and Pro with HD Connect) since I wanted to stream in HD.

I know my laptop is maybe not up to the full specs (Dual Core Atom 1.6Ghz, 3GB Ram, Nvidia Ion) but I can stream in auto mode (from a 1080i channel) perfectly at 30fps and with no problems. But as soon as I switch the channel, my fps drops to around 15 and the audio stutters. If I close slingplayer and reopen it, everything plays fine again until i switch channels.

I know I will probably get the response that my computer is not up to the task, but it has no issues prior to the changing of the channels.

Also from what I understand my Nvidia Ion supports HD accelerated playback (I can play 1080P MKV files, 1080P Flash files and even Blu Ray movies fine) but under the slinger player settings the video acceleration option is grayed out, since my graphics card supports both CUDA and DXVA acceleration exactly what type of acceleration is Slingplayer loooking for?

• Re: FPS drop and audio stuttering after switching channels
          valentam

I can confirm the exact same behavior.  The only solution I have found is to use the desktop slingplayer and crank down the settings.  But it doesn't make sense, everything plays fine until you start doing things on the remote.  I have nearly the same computers specs, dual core Atom 1.6, ION 512MB, and 2GB mem.  Running Windows 7 Home Premium.  Plays fine on my other desktops, only my nettop has the issue.

I really think there is a bug with the hardware acceleration.  Flashplayer 10.1 supports HW acceleration, and HD content played from YouTube via flash works fine on my nettop.  SlingPlayer uses flash technology, but I am wondering if there is some bug that when activities are done on the remote (such as pausing and then restarting), that the GPU acceleration gets messed up.

valentam

Another review from Amazon.com below with same issue. Please help!

Yes, I've tried it, but it does not work well.  The SlingPlayer  software doesn't utilize the ION GPU and stutters badly in hi-def.  I've  tried both wireless N and a wired (powerline) connection with the same  results.  I can watch Sling in HD using the same network connection on  my three year old laptop in the same location.   Would love for this to  work, as the Acer is small and otherwise works well, including streaming  fairly hi-def (720p) movies from my server.

Should note I have  some weird results with the Sling in HD. When I start it and just  stream HD it works ok - with about 70% CPU utilization, as soon as I  start to use the remote, however it starts stuttering and CPU drops down  to 35%.  Perhaps a bug in the Sling software?
              Apprentice

Hi, jakejm79.

First, we recommend you to check if your computer meets the requirements to stream in HD. This link will help you:

Tech Specs for the Slingbox PRO HD

Regarding the second part of your question, we do not support this feature. However, the following link will provide you with some information that might help you:

SlingPlayer Options: Video

We recommend that you check these links.

valentam

Sigh... this still leaves two questions.

1) Why does HD streaming work fine (around 70% CPU utilization) until you start using the remote to do things like pause and restart (afterwards the CPU drops to around 30-40% utilization).  I have found 4 other similar posts on the internet, all with similar specs.

2) Why is the hardware acceleration box greyed out.  My 512MB Nvidia ION card certainly supports HW acceleration, it works wonderfully on flash 10.1 content on the internet.  What cards DO support HW acceleration?!?  Nowhere is this listed in your link, it just says ". Only a small handful of computers support hardware acceleration".  Not very helpful.

I know its a long shot that this info makes its way into the hands of a developer, but as a software developer myself it sure appears that point 1 is a straight up software glitch.  As a developer I understand it's tough to test all cases and please everyone, but the use of low powered nettops that are GPU heavy are on the rise and I believe this problem warrants some attention.

Thank you.

mikecoscia

I am having the same problem with my Acer Revo 3610.  It has a dual core atom/ion combo.  I even upgraded the ram to 4GB (although only 3GB is reported by windows 7).  I can stream in HD no problem with around 29-30fps, as soon as I switch channels it drops to around 15-17fps and stutters horribly.  So same problem every one else is reporting.  I don't understand why there is no hardware acceleration for the ion, it should be a no brainer as these small computers are perfect HTPCs.

valentam

It's not surprising Mike.  SlingBox makes a very good and polished product, but cuts some corners on support IMO.  This thread is being crawled by Google, so we can hope that more people find it with the same problem and continue to post until Sling investigates.  Maybe it would be a good idea for us to Google search and post other comments in this thread about this problem just to bring as much documentation together as possible.

If someone at Sling reads this and would like me to help debug the issue and provide further information please ask.  I am more than willing to put in some work to help resolve the issue.

Also note, I applied the latest SlingPlayer updates but the problem remains.

mikecoscia

Agreed, some awful support after launch of these products.  There is no reason the atom/ion combo can't handle the video stream, when I can play blu-ray movies and watch youtube HD videos without any issues.

I'm also willing to supply any information to get this ball moving.  I really don't want to build a more powerful machine just for streaming video from my slingbox.

rpeters1

Has there been any update to this??  Cmon Sling, you have a great product, support it! We need hardware acceleration supported, if an iphone and ipad can view in high quality so should our ion enabled computers that can play bluray.  HELLO????

valentam

Bupkis on this front.  Well, Microsoft also doesn't have their act together with Silverlight either.  It wont be until the end of this year will Netflix support hardware acceleration when they come out with Silverlight 5.  By the time they realease hw acceleration support, these nettops will be powerful enough to play HD without it. I really don't understand Sling though... I mean it uses Flash to stream, and Flash supports hw accleration.  So why doesn't Sling?

This article is from Jan 6th 2010 (http://www.slingmedia.com/get/io_1262730441424.html), and I quote.... "SlingPlayer will leverage the ability of Adobe Flash Player to use the power of a device's hardware to accelerate the decoding of a video stream, creating a high-quality experience while conserving battery life."

Still waiting.. sigh

KBULL1

I'm having the exact same problem.  Any update on this!????  This bug is driving me nuts.  Is there anybody at Sling looking into this ?

GaryMO Newbie

Same problem as well.  Audio stuttering is very annoying.  Seems to improve when I dial back the encoding stream rates manually, but I shouldn't have to do that.  When be nice to see Sling put out a fix to this bug.

KBULL1

Its not just for HTPC. I'm actually using it as my desktop What about previous versions, does it have the same problems? Does anyone know?