4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2016 10:15 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

HDMI and Composite with Comcast

tiphys
    Visibility: Open to anyone

So, I have a Slingbox Pro. I have a Windows XP Pro operating system. I tried to use my Slingbox pro and I had to download new software. The software doesn't work with Windows XP anymore. So I needed a new operating system in my computer. Instead, I purchased a new Slingbox M2. When I got it home I discovered it also needs Windows 7, and to make matters worse, it doesn't have HDMI, which my new Comcast box has and the Comcast box doesn't have composite in or out. So, I try to order the adapter so that I can convert HDMI to Composite. It's back-ordered until July. I'd like to have HD quality, which if I read the Slingbox material correctly, requires composite, I can't get a Comcast composite box, I have to buy a new computer with Windows 7... what's wrong with this picture? There must be an easier way. Please tell me.

• Re: HDMI and Composite with Comcast
          alanrichey42 Master

Bit of a confusing post.

1.   Not sure what you are talking about when you said you downloaded new software?.   Desktop Slingplayer ?  Browser plug in ?  (Firefox, IE, Safari, Chrome ?).  Or are you talking about a firmware update for the Pro.  You need to be more specific.

2.  The original Slingplayer 2.0.4 ( (http://download.slingmedia.com/player/pc/SlingPlayer_2.0.4522_Setup-Global.exe) works perfectly with a Slingbox Pro and Windows XP so not sure why you downloaded anything.  

3.  Be careful on terminology.   Composite video (the yellow plug) is SD.   If you want HD you need to use component video (Red/Green/Blue)

4.  Again, I'm a bit confused over the M2 needing Windows 7.  This has nothing to do with the Slingbox it is the Slingplayer you are using that is important.   In this case I know you cannot use the old Desktop Player or the new one, but I am a bit surprised none of the browsers work,

And you should be upgrading to Windows 10 not 7

tiphys

I think you solved my problem. The link you provided for SlingPlayer was not the same link that was recommended when I was directed to download an update.

But I'll try to explain the problems encountered more carefully:

It appears to me that Slingbox and SlingPlayer are not considered as a package but rather two separate but dependent components... though apparently the Slingbox hardware component has an upgradable software component.

1. Step One: When I attempted to log in to my SlingPlayer account on the desktop that I used to for the original setup of Slingbox Pro, after an absence of many months, I received a message from the SlingPlayer  stating that I needed to update desktop SlingPlayer software. I followed the link provided and downloaded the update. When I attempted to install the software a message appeared which said that the software was not compatible with Windows XP Pro. So, there's the first problem. The old software would not run because it needed an update and the new software wouldn't run because it was incompatible with XP Pro.

2. Step Two: Not wanting to install windows 7, I purchased Slingbox M2. First Problem: When I attempted to download software for M2 I received the same message from Slingbox online, 'the software is incompatible with Windows XP... requires Windows 7. Second Problem: M2 has Component input / output, and Composite input and output but my Comcast Xfinity box has only Composite and HDMI ability. Third Problem: The HDMI to component adapter (sold by a third party) that Slingbox recommends is back ordered until at least July.

I was also surprised that Windows 7 is the Slingbox.com recommended operating system rather than 8 or 10. I could not find an email address for Slingbox support.

Thanks so much for your time and help.

Ken

tiphys

I think I should have said, "when I followed the setup instructions for Slingbox M2, provided in the packaging, I followed the link as directed which resulted in the message that stating that I could not complete the set up because the software was incompatible with Windows XP and required Windows 7.

alanrichey42 Master

It appears to me that Slingbox and SlingPlayer are not considered as a package but rather two separate but dependent components... though apparently the Slingbox hardware component has an upgradable software component.

True.   Mainly because there are so many different Slingplayers around.

1. Step One: When I attempted to log in to my SlingPlayer account on the desktop that I used to for the original setup of Slingbox Pro, after an absence of many months, I received a message from the SlingPlayer  stating that I needed to update desktop SlingPlayer software. I followed the link provided and downloaded the update. When I attempted to install the software a message appeared which said that the software was not compatible with Windows XP Pro. So, there's the first problem. The old software would not run because it needed an update and the new software wouldn't run because it was incompatible with XP Pro.

OK, again you need to be more specific. Which Slingplayer are you using ? there are at least 6 of them kicking around.   And you seem to be ignoring the Browser players ?

2. Step Two: Not wanting to install windows 7, I purchased Slingbox M2. First Problem: When I attempted to download software for M2 I received the same message from Slingbox online, 'the software is incompatible with Windows XP... requires Windows 7.

Yes, that was expected.  Sling have made sure that the ONLY way you can set up the M2 is to use the latest Desktop player and that needs Windows 7.  But this is ONLY for the setup, not the subsequent streaming.   So if you can borrow a WIN7 computer for 15 minutes you can set it up.

M2 has Component input / output, and Composite input and output but my Comcast Xfinity box has only Composite and HDMI ability. Third Problem: The HDMI to component adapter (sold by a third party) that Slingbox recommends is back ordered until at least July.

Personally I am quite happy to have my Slingbox using the composite output.  When I access it from a remote location I don't normally find I can use HD and it keeps buffering.   And I don't see why I should have to pay fro another converter.   If you search the forum there are quite a few recommendations for much cheaper ones from Amazon.  But you have to be careful as it is essential that the converter strips out the HDCP signal.  And because that is really a bit illegal you will rarely see that mentioned in an advert.

I could not find an email address for Slingbox support. 

There isn't one.   They want you to phone and charge you $30.

My recommendation:   Send the M2 back and get a refund use your Pro.   Not only will the old Desktop Player work with XP but any of the browser Slingplayers should work as well.