74 Replies Latest reply: Sep 13, 2011 5:50 PM by Tobalo Branched to a new discussion. RSS

New Updated-Plug in for Mac OSX won't install

jlangston

As of today, in Asia, September 16th, I opened sling player and it said I had to install a new plug-in.  I hit the install and agree button and it keeps trying to install but doesn't finish.  Either it's a super big program and our internet speed is too slow or something is wrong.  Has anyone else received this message regarding neding to install a newly updated plug-in?  What to do.  Want to watch college football this weekend.

• Re: New Updated-Plug in for Mac OSX won't install
          ACC1300589

I had the EXACT same problem. and I contacted slingmedia several times. I haven't been able to use my slingbox since the exact date September 15th. I left the install page on over night and in the morning still NOTHING. And my connections are fairly strong.

*** Edited to observe Slingbox Answers Forum House Rules by Moderator. ***

selser

I'm having the same problem with my new Macbook Pro. Plugin will not install in either Safari or Firefox.

*** Edited to observe Slingbox Answers Forum House Rules by Moderator. ***

Expert

Hey all - If you're still having this issue, could you please tell us more about your setup? For instance:

1. What Slingbox do you have, and does it have the latest firmware?

2. Did remote viewing EVER work under this version of the plug in?

3. Are you definitely using the 32-bit version of Safari or Firefox? Same issue in BOTH browsers?

3. What version of the plug in do you currently have? To check, just control(right)-click on the viewer in Watch:

version.png

version2.png

The reason I ask is that none of us here can reproduce the issue on Snow Leopard Macs (my system runs fine under Safari 5.0.2 and 10.6.4 on a new MacBook Pro) - so we need additional data from you to figure out what your issue is.

selser

Dana - Thanks for your response. I will try your suggestion as soon as I get home. The tech support person I dealt with on the phone told me to install Firefox on my MBP and it would work fine...said nothing about making sure it opens in 32-bit mode like Safari. In fact, 32-bit never came up at all in our discussions on either browser. After installing Firefox and trying several times, I gave up and went to my son's Macbook which works fine. I'm assuming that the procedure for getting Firefox to open in 32-bit mode is the same as the instructions for Safari? Please let me know if it's different. I'll let everyone know if that works.

selser

Hi Dana - Here are the details of my Slingbox and Macbook Pro:

Model:                         Slingbox Pro HD

Firmware:                    1.5.170

Hardware Version:      1.1.0

Firmware Date:           9/3/2010

MacBook Pro 13:        Intel Core 2 Duo; 4GB memory

OSX:                           10.6.4

Safari:                          5.0.2

Firefox:                        3.6.10

Since Firefox is a 32-bit program, then that is not the issue. Still cannot load the Mac OSX plugin. Gets to the point in setup where it seems to start loading and then never finishes. Have not been able to load the software through either Safari or Firefox on my MBP. It does work fine on my son's Macbook. Would really appreciate your help. Thanks.

hmiller Newbie

Hey

If you dont get this other problem fixed, you can use the mac desktop player instead of the web player and not miss yr game

http://support.slingbox.com/go/dl-mac-desktop

jimmora

I have the same problem.  New iMac, latest snow leopard, firefox, and safari.  It hangs in the install, as the other posters state.  used 32-bit safari.  The slingplayer does work on slingbox.com through all the other Macs in the house (none are snow leopard) and on the slingplayer app on the snow leopard Mac. 

adrianb

I am having the same problem on a brand new MacBook air, I cannot believe that tech support cannot reporduce it. This is so annoying

medicscott823

Same here folks with new macbook air, just keeps looping and looping. So annoying. Give me my slingbox!!!!!

cody00

brand new macbook air.  no software installed yet except firefox.  Keeps looping the install on Safari.  Hangs on Firefox.

scs4159

I had the same problem.  For me, I had to reinstall Safari, then let Watch.slingbox.com reinstall itself.  Now it works on both Safari and Firefox

jordankg@wctel.net

Same plugin hang up problem after trying Dana's suggestions about SafeMode boot and

FireFox safe mode aand reset.  iMac running mac os 10.5.8

edloft

With the following:

1. MacBook Pro 13
                                  2. Mac OS X 10.6.5 (10H574)
                                  3. Firefox 3.6.12

This is reported on the Java console when trying to install the new plugin:

MRJ Plugin for Mac OS X v1.0.1
                                  [starting up Java Applet Security @ Wed Nov 17 15:25:21 PST 2010]
                                  Wed Nov 17 15:25:26 PST 2010 JEP creating applet com.slingmedia.installerupdater.InstallerUpdater (http://setup.slingbox.com/web-setupassistant/)
                                  /Users/ed/.slingtmp//slingversion.txt?ts=1290036326478    128
                                  Sling-InstallerUpdater-Uninstall Phase
                                  Sling-InstallerUpdater-Deleting: /Users/ed/Library/Internet Plug-ins/SlingPlayer.plugin
                                  Sling-InstallerUpdater-Uninstall Complete
                                  Sling-InstallerUpdater-Exception: java.lang.NullPointerException
                                  Sling-InstallerUpdater-Deleting: /Users/ed/.slingtmp
                                  Sling-InstallerUpdater-Deleting: /Users/ed/.slingtmp/slingversion.txt?ts=1290036326478
                                  java.lang.NullPointerException
                                      at com.slingmedia.installerupdater.InstallerUpdater.init(InstallerUpdater.java:122)
                                      at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(AppletPanel.java:424)
                                      at jep.AppletFramePanel.run(Unknown Source)
                                      at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)

edloft

With the following :

• MacBook Pro 13
                                      • Mac OS X 10.6.5 (10H574)
                                      • Firefox 3.6.12
                                      • Safari Version 5.0.2 (6533.18.5)

I tried the following:

• Attempted to install the updated plug-in in Firefox.  The Java console reported the same stack trace I posted on Nov 17.
                                      • Attempted to install the updated plug-in in Safari and received the "Success" message.  The jave console reported:

/Users/ed/.slingtmp//slingversion.txt?ts=1290870656823    128
                                      Sling-InstallerUpdater-Uninstall Phase
                                      Sling-InstallerUpdater-Deleting: /Users/ed/Library/Internet Plug-ins/SlingPlayer.plugin
                                      Sling-InstallerUpdater-Uninstall Complete
                                      Sling-InstallerUpdater-Install Phase
                                      /Users/ed/.slingtmp//SlingPlayer.plugin.zip?ts=1290870656823    4671065
                                      Sling-InstallerUpdater-Extracting: SlingPlayer.plugin/
                                      Sling-InstallerUpdater-Extracting: SlingPlayer.plugin/Contents/
                                      Sling-InstallerUpdater-Extracting: SlingPlayer.plugin/Contents/_CodeSignature/
                                      Sling-InstallerUpdater-Extracting: SlingPlayer.plugin/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources
                                      Sling-InstallerUpdater-Extracting: SlingPlayer.plugin/Contents/CodeResources
                                      Sling-InstallerUpdater-Extracting: SlingPlayer.plugin/Contents/Info.plist
                                      Sling-InstallerUpdater-Extracting: SlingPlayer.plugin/Contents/MacOS/
                                      Sling-InstallerUpdater-Extracting: SlingPlayer.plugin/Contents/MacOS/SlingPlayer
                                      Sling-InstallerUpdater-Extracting: SlingPlayer.plugin/Contents/Resources/
                                      Sling-InstallerUpdater-Extracting: SlingPlayer.plugin/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/
                                      Sling-InstallerUpdater-Extracting: SlingPlayer.plugin/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings
                                      Sling-InstallerUpdater-Extracting: SlingPlayer.plugin/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Localized.rsrc
                                      Sling-InstallerUpdater-Extracting: SlingPlayer.plugin/Contents/Resources/SlingLogo.jpg
                                      Sling-InstallerUpdater-Install Complete
                                      Sling-InstallerUpdater-Deleting: /Users/ed/.slingtmp
                                      Sling-InstallerUpdater-Deleting: /Users/ed/.slingtmp/SlingPlayer.plugin.zip?ts=1290870656823
                                      Sling-InstallerUpdater-Deleting: /Users/ed/.slingtmp/slingversion.txt?ts=1290870656823

• Quit Safari
                                      • Set Safari to 32 bit
                                      • Started Safari and SlingPlayer connected to my Slingbox and it worked as expected
                                      • Started Firefox and SlingPlayer connected to my Slingbox and it worked as expected

That being reported I must say as a software developer who has written a  bazillion lines of Java code and fixed about that many bugs, I'm stunned that a company with the  technical savey to build and  deploy Slingbox has demonstrated so little talent for fixing this bug.   You seem to be in total hacker mode - try this, try that.  And at least  since Nov 17 you've know the exact line in YOUR CODE that's throwing the  NullPointerException!  Is everyone home back there?

supercazzola

yep, still getting exception error. very annoyed that they can't fix this in a month...

benheath

So I've just purchased the stupidly priced iPad player, and now I can't use it becuase both my slingboxes require a firmware update.

I can't find any way to do this without using watch.slingbox.com which doesn't work because of the plug-in. Does anybody know how to get hold of the firmware files and complete the upgrade manually !!

I'm on a 17" MBP running 10.6.5 and i've never managed to get this plug-in running. Also have a brand new MBA 11" and it's the same story there. Do I really need to go get the old PC out of the loft to get this thing up and running ?

Come on SlingBox !!

adrianb

I did it from the windows 7 side.

Sent from Adrian's iPhone

Expert

The older desktop software is not going to work for upgrading your Slingbox Software - check this out:

How do I update the Slingbox Software (firmware) on my Slingbox?

I'm running the exact system as you, 10.6.5, 17" MBP and all is well with Slingbox.com for me, so if you're still having difficulty with the plug-in, something isn't right here... Just a few things to note (bear with me if you've already tried these suggestions):

Slingbox.com only works with Safari 4 and above in 32-bit mode - or - Firefox 3 and above. Definitely try both.

Corruptions in cookies or cache files can wreak havoc with the installer - to clear cookies and cache, choose Reset Safari from the Safari menu and select those options:

reset.png

If you still can't install and get on Slingbox.com after the above steps, next week we are rolling out a new version of the plug-in installer (I believe it will be a .dmg file, easier install). That should resolve any nagging issues for you and anyone else having Mac plug-in woes. We're also working on a 64-bit version, so the 32-bit mode dance will go away soon...

Apologies for the hassle - hope the above helps!

The Sling Support Crew

mtrauber

I've given up on using safari.  Everytime I try to even open the "Watch" page it crashes.  I've tried "resetting" and everything and it still wont work.  I'm also having a problem with firefox.  The plug-in never installs it just keeps loading until the "gateway server times out".  Any help there?

UPDATE: I finally managed to get mine to work on Firefox.  I had to uninstall and reinstall my Adobe Flash Player and then Magically the sling player worked. Although I'm not positive thats what caused it to work. 

adrianb

I think this problem is fixed now, works for me on both the Imac and the new Macbook Air and both in Safari and Firefox.

rawata

Indeed, the issue seems to have been resolved!  The Plug in now downloads as a DMG. You can continue to install it as a regular Mac Software once downloaded. One small caveat, Safari must be in 32 bit mode in order for you view. THANKS! Slingbox for hearing our plea.

teamplayer77

ive been trying to install for 3months.....non of the above helps.  I saved for a long time to get this slingbox.  WIthout the HD its useless.............why wont this finish instalation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! competley useless

I agree.  I am having the same problem.  Tried all the solutions posted with no help.  Crazy they have not posted a newer version of the Plug-in.  I was able to get it to install on my HP Laptop, but my Mac is still unable to install the plug-in.  Very frustrating!!!

Expert

Just checking - are you using Safari in 32 bit mode? Directions are here. And if so, the installer should download as a DMG file which opens up with instructions for installation... is the downloaded DMG file working for you? A few more details posted here would help us help you - thanks!

chizzypoof

Here is what the installer log gave me after I tried to install your latest dmg file.

May  4 15:04:05 MacBook-Pro-2 Installer[2986]: SlingPlayer Plug-in Installation Log
                                                                  May  4 15:04:05 MacBook-Pro-2 Installer[2986]: Opened from: /Volumes/SlingPlayer_Plugin_3.2.7.154/SlingPlayer Plugin Installer.mpkg
                                                                  May  4 15:04:06 MacBook-Pro-2 installdb[2988]: started (uid 96)
                                                                  May  4 15:04:06 MacBook-Pro-2 installdb[2988]: Opened receipt database on '/' with schema 17.
                                                                  May  4 15:04:12 MacBook-Pro-2 installdb[2988]: done. (0.005u + 0.003s)
                                                                  May  4 15:04:38 MacBook-Pro-2 Installer[2986]: -[PFReceiptDB initWithPkgID:andName:onVolumeOrHomeDir:] some arguments are required! pkgid: 'com.SlingMedia.org.webSlingplayerPlugin.pkg' domainPath: '(null)'
                                                                  May  4 15:04:38 MacBook-Pro-2 installdb[2990]: started (uid 503)
                                                                  May  4 15:04:44 MacBook-Pro-2 installdb[2990]: done. (0.005u + 0.003s)

How can I resolve this error?:

Please advise.

Frustrated Slingbox owner.

chizzypoof

This may help you guys re-create the installer package.

Section 1: Installer Problems and Solutions

Problem: You want to install items into the current user’s home folder. Solution: Use the new “domain” feature for 10.5 installers to target the user’s home. Pitfall: FileVault users will be unable to use your installer. OS Compatibility: 10.4: unsupported. 10.5: fatally buggy. 10.6: Works correctly, recommended.

Details: Before Leopard, there was no easy way to  install items using Apple’s installer to the user’s home directory.  Leopard introduced a “domain” feature that allowed you to target the  user’s home directory. If you had a package that installed something to  /Library/Internet Plug-ins/ , you could offer the user a choice: install  for all users (which installed to /Library/Internet Plug-ins/ ), or  install only for the current user (which installed to ~/Library/Internet  Plug-ins/ ). This is a great feature, if it only it would work  correctly and consistently in all cases.

Unfortunately, as you’ll see is typical of Apple’s installer  technology, it doesn’t. When FileVault users try to install to the home  directory on Leopard, three things will happen:

1. The installer will hang for about 30 seconds when attempting to change to the “Select a Destination” screen.
                                                                      2. You’ll see this error in the Console: Installer[23479]:  -[PFReceiptDB initWithPkgID:andName:onVolumeOrHomeDir:] some arguments  are required! pkgid:  ‘com.packagemaker.simx.testapp.bugDemonstration.test.pkg’ domainPath:  ‘(null)’
                                                                      3. When the “Select a Destination” screen finally  comes up, the user can opt to install to their home folder, but the  “Continue” button will be grayed out if they do so. They will be unable  to proceed with home folder installation.

* provide pic of installer *

Workaround: If your installer does not depend on you installing to their home  folder, that’s good news. Just deselect the “home folder” checkbox in  PackageMaker, and rebuild your installer.

* provide pic of PackageMaker *

In many cases,  however, it’s better to allow the user to install to their home folder.  With ClickToFlash, for example, we don’t want to force our software onto  all users of a machine simply because one user installed it. We want  one user to be able to use ClickToFlash and allow another to not have it  installed at all.

The workaround in this case is to install the necessary files and  folders to /tmp , which any user can read and write to. Then, in a  postinstall, postupgrade, or postflight script, move the items from /tmp  to the correct location in the user’s home folder.

* provide pic of PackageMaker *

* provide example shell script *

The  good news is that this bug is fixed in 10.6. Hooray! If you’re  targeting 10.6 only, feel free to use the “domain” feature to install to  the user’s home directory.

Taken from the following webpage:

http://homepage.mac.com/simx/technonova/tips/packagemaker_and_installer.html

SteveM1

UPDATE ---

Rebooting with Safe Boot allowed the install to succeed.

-------------------------------------

Here are some details that will hopefully help.  This is a log from the installer, which is getting permissions errors while copying files.

May 28 10:45:02 StevesMBP13 Installer[26139]: @(#)PROGRAM:Install  PROJECT:Install-595.1
                                                                      May 28 10:45:02 StevesMBP13 Installer[26139]: @(#)PROGRAM:Installer  PROJECT:Installer-430.1
                                                                      May 28 10:45:02 StevesMBP13 Installer[26139]: Hardware: MacBookPro5,5 @ 2.53 GHz (x 2), 4096 MB RAM
                                                                      May 28 10:45:02 StevesMBP13 Installer[26139]: Running OS Build: Mac OS X 10.6.7 (10J869)
                                                                      May 28 10:45:02 StevesMBP13 Installer[26139]: SlingPlayer Plug-in  Installation Log
                                                                      May 28 10:45:02 StevesMBP13 Installer[26139]: Opened from: /Volumes/SlingPlayer_Plugin_3.2.7.154/SlingPlayer Plugin Installer.mpkg
                                                                      May 28 10:45:15 StevesMBP13 Installer[26139]: ================================================================================
                                                                      May 28 10:45:15 StevesMBP13 Installer[26139]: User picked Standard Install
                                                                      May 28 10:45:15 StevesMBP13 Installer[26139]: Choices selected for installation:
                                                                      May 28 10:45:15 StevesMBP13 Installer[26139]:      Upgrade: "SlingPlayer Plug-in"
                                                                      May 28 10:45:15 StevesMBP13 Installer[26139]:      Upgrade: "SlingPlayer"
                                                                      May 28 10:45:15 StevesMBP13 Installer[26139]: ================================================================================
                                                                      May 28 10:45:15 StevesMBP13 Installer[26139]: Configuring volume "MBP13HD"
                                                                      May 28 10:45:15 StevesMBP13 Installer[26139]: Free space on "MBP13HD": 105.29 GB (105288859648 bytes).
                                                                      May 28 10:45:15 StevesMBP13 Installer[26139]: Create temporary directory "/var/folders/n1/n1ooOdoD2RW7nk+BYupQM++++TM/-Tmp-//Install.26139DGxYKS"
                                                                      May 28 10:45:15 StevesMBP13 Installer[26139]: IFPKInstallElement (1 packages)
                                                                      May 28 10:45:15 StevesMBP13 installd[26145]: PackageKit: ----- Begin install -----
                                                                      May 28 10:45:28 StevesMBP13 /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/PackageKit.framework/Resources/shove[26148]: [source=file] failed _RelinkFile(/var/folders/n1/n1ooOdoD2RW7nk+BYupQM++++TM/Cleanup At Startup/PKInstallSandbox-tmp/Root/private/tmp/SlingPlayer.plugin/Contents/Info.plist, /private/tmp/SlingPlayer.plugin/Contents/Info.plist): Permission denied
                                                                      May 28 10:45:28 StevesMBP13 installd[26145]: PackageKit: Install Failed: (null)\nError Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=120 UserInfo=0x10012fbb0 "An unexpected error occurred while moving files to the final destination." Underlying Error=(Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=13 "The operation couldn’t be completed. Permission denied") {\n    NSLocalizedDescription = "An unexpected error occurred while moving files to the final destination.";\n    NSUnderlyingError = "Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=13 \"The operation couldn\U2019t be completed. Permission denied\"";\n    arguments =     (\n        "-f",\n        "-s",\n        "/var/folders/n1/n1ooOdoD2RW7nk+BYupQM++++TM/Cleanup At Startup/PKInstallSandbox-tmp/Root",\n        "/"\n    );\n}
                                                                      May 28 10:45:29 StevesMBP13 Installer[26139]: Install failed: The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.
                                                                      May 28 10:45:29 StevesMBP13 Installer[26139]: IFDInstallController 259DE0 state = 7
                                                                      May 28 10:45:29 StevesMBP13 Installer[26139]: Displaying 'Install Failed' UI.
                                                                      May 28 10:45:29 StevesMBP13 Installer[26139]: 'Install Failed' UI displayed message:'The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.'.

I've tried running the installer from both admin accounts on this MacBook Pro, with no success.  Also, I never see the "Install for me only" option.  I have tried removing the old plugin--no change.

jfalk30

Have a brand new Macbook Air, and have experienced the same frustrating problem.  Shocking to me that Slingbox has been unable to solve this in four months.

Billva

Any new updates? Still waiting for a fix. Not able to use my slingbox on a 2011 iMac running OSX 10.6.6. I have followed the thread and tried all recommended solutions. Nothing works. Very frustrated. -BV

jmhwang

i am having the same problem.

1.download slingplayer plug in installer - slingplayer_plugin_3-1.1.6.134.dmg

2. start installer.

3. gets stuck at "How do you want to install this software? Install for me only." The continue button is grayed out and I cannot continue.

mac osx 10.5.8

this needs to be fixed asap.

chizzypoof

"

i am having the same problem.

1.download slingplayer plug in installer - slingplayer_plugin_3-1.1.6.134.dmg

2. start installer.

3. gets stuck at "How do you want to install this software? Install for me only." The continue button is grayed out and I cannot continue.

mac osx 10.5.8

this needs to be fixed asap."

I am experiencing the exact same issue?  Has there been a fix?  I have searched throughly through the forums to no avail.  Did I miss a post that explained how to resolve this issue.  Someone please advise.

Thanks in Advance.

supercazzola

Guys,

a new release came out. delete your old plugin. Then put Safari back in 64 bit mode. Then visit watch.slingbox.com and get the newly released plugin. It is working great !

Tobalo

same problem here...