6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 26, 2016 8:35 AM by ACC5365902 RSS

Slingbox not working after 1.8 Update

mad4usc06

My Slingbox 500 attempted to update and is now frozen mid update...

Has anyone else had the same issue or know of a work around?

Ive tried the hard reset but it only leads me back to the update where the box freezes all over again...

• Re: Slingbox not working after 1.8 Update
          ACC704517

I had this happen to me when I used the browser to try to do the update and the save settings icon just hung on me for eternity.  I did a reset and it kept flipping me back to do the update.  I thought I had bricked the **** box.  Nope, just my stupidity.

Don't try to use the desktop app or the browser plug-in to do the firmware update.  You've got to use the Slingbox remote to directly access the Menu that is built into the Slingbox 500.  There's a row of stuff like Live TV, Gallery, etc., and at the very right end there's the Settings.  (I'm sure there must be some videos from Sling to show you how it's done)  You have to access the correct HDMI port on your TV that leads to the SB500 to get to that interface.  (I think I had to also press the Sling icon at the top of the remote)  Once you have that Menu, you can do another hard reset of your Slingbox and you'll see some menu to set up your Slingbox and ask you to download the update and such.  I can't remember all the steps but it basically tells you how long it's going to take to download and install the new firmware.  The Slingbox goes through some routines on its own and reboots and everything is almost ready to go.  I redid all my settings just to make sure everything would be fresh.

I bought my Slingbox 500 last year and just got around to installing it a few days ago so the firmware on it was way out of date.  I think I used to use the desktop app to update firmware on my old Slingbox Pro (not HD Pro).  I forget because it seldom needed any attention.

Good luck.  You didn't do any serious harm to your Slingbox.  You just have to have to follow the proper procedure to get it working again.

mad4usc06

I can not access the Slingbox menu at all. Once I've done the hard reset I'm allowed to set up my wifi. From there I'm forced to update the box.

The update is downloaded, and begins to install. At the very end of the install, the restart black gets to 0 saying, "Slingbox restarting in approximately: 00:00. Completing update. Please wait.."

The slingbox and network lights flash together. This is where it freezes. It's been stuck like this for days now.

There's no button I can press on the remote that does anything. The only thing I can do is to do the reset all over again, but it gets stuck at the same point every time. It's incredibly frustrating.

Was this the same issue you had? I feel like i may have bricked mine, as well. ACC704517

ACC704517

Sorry, I didn't realize that happened to you.  No, I definitely didn't have that happen to me because my Slingbox wasn't bricked.  Have you tried disconnecting the power to the Slingbox?  Sometimes a total power-down might work.

It's crazy that the box would brick so easily.  I wonder if there's a way it can be upgraded by using a USB drive if you could download various versions of firmware to that.  I'm sure there must be a way.  I've always heard you can't shut the power off while doing a firmware upgrade but usually that's the only thing that could possibly brick it.  Otherwise, the firmware is only writing to programmable memory and the next upgrade just writes over it.  What would cause it to hang?  It's likely you'll have to speak to tech support for your problem.  Sometimes they have some firmware that can correct problems we can't.  Anyway, don't give up until they verify if it's really bricked.

This is the reset page, maybe there's something you overlooked: Slingbox.com - How to reset your Slingbox

ACC704517

There are other things recommended to try.  My Slingbox 500 is connected to the internet by Gigabit ethernet so you could try an ethernet connection from your router instead of WiFi.  Make sure your Slingbox power adapter is plugged directly into the wall socket and not a power-strip.  Maybe lower voltage could cause a problem.  I'm sure you've tried many things but I just want to make sure you've covered everything you can.  Others have said that they've had problems with firmware flashing on Slingboxes, so yours is not an isolated case.  I've flashed a dozen devices over the years, CDRs, Slingboxes, MacBook Pro and MacPro firmware, Android boxes and never had an update brick a device.  Maybe I was just lucky.  For everything except the Slingboxes I could use a local binary file, and I prefer local binary updates whenever I have that option.

What's strange is that usually the firmware has a checksum and won't try to install if the file isn't correct, so what exactly would cause it to hang?  The odds of having a bad eeprom are practically nil.  Does a hard reset drain all the power away?  The good thing if you can do local updates is you can flash it back to an older version and then update to a newer version.  I'm not sure what other conditions would hang a rewrite of an eeprom.  I think someone said that it isn't possible for a Slingbox owner to update a Slingbox with a binary file on a USB drive.  That's just crazy.  Almost every device with a USB port should be able to do that.  Maybe Sling doesn't want people trying to hack their boxes but still...  I wish you the best of luck.  I heard that if a Slingbox is out of warranty they charge you for a service call and if that doesn't work, I don't know what you'd have to do.  I'd go nuts because I'd keep hoping the next time I tried to flash it, that might work, so I'd be trying it over and over, then I'd want to throw the thing into the trash.

ACC5365902

More input:  Alas, there is probably no help for this unless you are still under warranty.  My Slingbox 500 was working for 3 years until I moved and tried to install in the new location. During the set up procedure (not done using a computer, so that was not the problem) it would not recognize that I have a new internet provider and am therefore using new hardware. Therefore I had to do a factory reset as specified on the Slingbox support website.  Actually I tried two resets with the same results as you: it stalls after downloading the update software and never installs it. I finally called Slingbox "support", ready to pay the $29.99 (they didn't charge me because they had no solution).  They acted like I was the first to report this problem. Since I was not using my Mac, they could not say that the fact that their software does not work well (or at all) with Macs was the problem  And after customer rep #1 conversed with another rep she told me that they have no solution, i.e. I have a new $350 paperweight.  This company and their products should be totally shunned.

ACC5390581

hi im having your same problem, how you fixed it??