3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2016 8:07 AM by eric_b RSS

Set Up With Surround Sound

ACC5515497
    Visibility: Open to anyone

I am having a problem setting up my new surround sound system and need help. I have a Slingbox 500 and Directv. I have had this hook up for years with no problems. Yesterday I purchased a blu-ray surround sound system and tried to install it with no success. Should the blu-ray player be installed between the Slingbox and the TV or between the Directv box and the Slingbox? I have tried multiple hookups with no success. They all have HDMI connections. Please help!

• Re: Set Up With Surround Sound
          eric_b Newbie

Are you having trouble with sound not coming out?  You mentioned a sound system and a blu-ray player.  Were the cable box, blu-ray and SB already there and you installed a surround sound system?

ACC5515497

I have a JVC D-ILA TV, model #HD 52Z575. It is about ten years old. It works fine and has a great picture. It has only one HDMI port and several RCA ports. I have Directv and Slingbox installed on the TV and they work fine. The Directv box is hooked up to the Slingbox which is hooked up to the TV. The Slingbox uses both the HDMI and RCA ports to operate. I was trying to install a Blu-ray surround sound system but could not get it to work. The Blu-ray player has only an HDMI output port. I purchased a HDMI switch and installed both the Blu-ray player and the slingbox/Directv to it but the Blu-ray player doesn't work. I then returned the HDMI switch and purchased a HDMI to RCA converter, figuring that since the TV has multiple RCA ports that it should work fine. Nope,this still does not work. By using the HDMI to RCA converter I am now able to hear the sound from the Blu-ray player, but can not see a picture or go to the programming screen. I am starting to believe that the TV just may not be compatible with this newer technology.

eric_b Newbie

I guess you could keep trying to troubleshoot it but, in the end, you are probably "wasting" the quality that you're paying for.  Since you are reducing the quality of the HD down to SD with the composite cable, you are not getting the better resolution out of the DirectTv or the Blu-ray.