15 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2016 1:26 PM by centrfldr RSS

Watching Slingbox at work

centrfldr
    Visibility: Open to anyone

On my break at work I want to watch my Slingbox on the company computer. They have blocked access to the site so I can't download the Slingbox player. Is it possible to run the Slingbox player from a USB stick? If so where/how do I get the needed files onto the stick?

• Re: Watching Slingbox at work
          sakisson Novice

All slingboxes work on a browser http://watch.slingbox.com

But streaming can also be filtered at work

centrfldr

Thanks. I can't access that site at work due to company blocking. I was asking if I can download the files necessary to run Slingbox onto a USB flash drive then upload it into my work computer. If so, do you know where can I get the necessary files to put on the flash drive?

sakisson Novice

Try the sling later 2.0 from the below link

http://support.slingbox.com/en-US/OldDownloads.aspx

centrfldr

As I have said before, my company blocks access to these web sites. I need to find a place where I can download them onto a Flash drive to upload into the computer.

Regards,

Larry Rogawski

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in and transmitted with this message is or may be attorney- client privileged, attorney work product, or otherwise confidential and is intended only for the individual or entity named above. You are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of this communication by or to anyone other than the recipient named above is unauthorized and strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail immediately and delete this message.

sakisson Novice

I'm afraid that's not possible to my knowledge

eric_b Newbie

If you are able to install using a flash drive, couldn't you just download the .exe from the location that was mentioned earlier using your home PC?  Or, maybe I'm missing something.

From my experience, the other issue will be getting the connection if your company has some type of proxy.  They will generally block non-standard outbound HTTP ports.  So, even if you are able to get the software installed, you may not be able to access the port.  The only way around that is if your router supports inbound port forwarding.

centrfldr

That's exactly what my question was. Although I'm not sure of the file name. It probably pops up before downloading.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

centrfldr

The second half of your reply is WAY beyond my pay grade. No clue about inbound porting HTTP blah blah blah

eric_b Newbie

If you are not familiar with what I'm saying, you may want to read up a little on it (see below).  You will need to become familiar with how your home router works first.  That is how you will be accessing the Slingbox from the Internet.  The Slingbox 'listens' on a certain port in your home (for example, the SB 500 listens on 5201).  You will need to configure your router to configure Internet traffic to forward anything coming in on 5201 over to your Slingbox.  Once you have all of that working, you should test it from a location that doesn't restrict your Internet browsing (a friend's house or public Wifi).  Once it works for you there, then try it from work.  If it doesn't work, then your work is blocking it.  Here is some more information on configuring over the Internet.

Slingbox.com - What's port forwarding/port mapping?

centrfldr

I have been able to watch my Slingbox Solo everywhere since 2002 thru several router changes with no issued. So if after uploading from flash drive & no goodski, then work has it blocked somehow. I REALLY appreciate your input & time on this.

eric_b Newbie

Ok, you're welcome.  Just two other things... if it is blocked, your work probably allows port 80 traffic.  So, that's what I mentioned earlier.  You can try to figure out if your router can take port 80 and forward it over to the port your Solo needs.  I don't have that capability on my router but you may on yours.

One other word of caution (completely unrelated to SB).  If you haven't had to configure port forwarding at all for your SB to work, it's possible that your router may be *too* open.  For the sake of your home network, you may want run some sort of port scan on your router (search Google for 'check open ports').  I'm just telling you to avoid someone hacking into your PC from the Internet.  Good luck!