16 Replies Latest reply: Oct 11, 2010 10:29 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

Menu & Enter keys greyed out on Motorola DCH3416 remote

Mpire

Hi there, I like to consider myself pretty tech savvy, and have searched for and read other posts in this forum (as well as google searched for answers) seeking a solution to my problem and haven't found one yet.

For some reason, on my Windows 7 laptop which has the latest version of the SlingPlayer desktop software intalled (and re-installed during troubleshooting), my on-screen remote decided to "grey-out" my Menu (super important and often-used) and Enter keys. I can perform both functions by selecting them through the much less convenient Connect>RemoteKeys>[command] menu navigation; but that's not cutting it, and my need to understand why this sort of thing would just happen out of the blue -- and to fix it -- is driving me crazy.

In an effort to remedy the problem I have:

Downloaded and installed all the latest firmware/slingbox solo updates

Downloaded and installed all the latest slingplayer desktop software

Run the setup assistant and configured video sources -- but when the download remote screen comes up it just reads "no updates were found - click next to continue" (could be a key to my issue).

Power cycled the slingbox

Everything else works fine - including my SlingPlayer Mobile app (as well as its Menu and Enter commands).

The box is a Motorola DCH3416 from Time Warner Cable.

Can anyone help??

Thanks in advance!

Ali

• Re: Menu & Enter keys greyed out on Motorola DCH3416 remote
          alanrichey42 Master

Interesting one    The message 'No update found' means that your PC already has the Motorola 'skin' so it doesn't need to download it.  If you want to force a refresh then just delete the Motorola.spr file in:

Vista - C:\ProgramData\Sling Media\Slingplayer\2.0\Remotes\

WINXP - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sling Media\SlingPlayer\2.0\Remote

MAC - /Applications/SlingPlayer/Contents/Resources/Remote

(Note that The Contents dirs won't show up unless you do a "Right-Click -> Show Package Contents" when navigating into an app's "Contents" directory.)

then rerun the video setup.

However, I don't think that will help as it is the downloaded remote code that is causing the greying.

You could also try the Custom Remote I built at http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com/forum/remote-file-downloads/remote-file-for-motorola-dct-6416-iii/  it should work with your box.

Mpire

First off, thanks for your help Richey (despite not being able to solve my problem yet).

I was unable to remedy the issue via the "force refresh" method you described above of deleting the .spr file (which reads comcast.spr -- not motorola.spr) and rerunning the setup assistant to configure video sources (I still got the "no update found" message for remotes -- initially because I deleted the default and comcast .spr files and then launched the player software to run the assistant & it automatically regenerated the files on launch, so I launched the player then deleted and ran setup; assistant then downloaded new files but I'm still having the issue). Ugh. If it were a locally corrupted version of the file, I would assume the deletion and regeneration would remedy the corruption, or at least the re-downloading.

Thoughts?? Should I just delete the software and reinstall it? (Think I already tried this unsuccessfully -- and I'm not optimistic about it anyway).

Thakns in advance for your continued help.

Ali

Mpire

This is why I hate Sling....and I have dealt with this particular individual in the past...though no personal history factored into this exchange (on my end at least)...

4:30 PM Connecting...
                  4:30 PM Connected. A support representative will be with you shortly.
                  4:31 PM Support session established with Carlos.

4:31 PM Carlos: Thank you for contacting Sling Media Technical Support, my name is Carlos. Which product are you looking support for today?
                  4:31 PM Me: Sling player for windows
                  4:31 PM Carlos: Thanks. How may I help you?
                  4:31 PM Me: the most recent update messed up my remote
                  4:31 PM Me: my menu and enter keys are greyed out
                  4:31 PM Me: DCH3416 box
                  4:32 PM Carlos: I apologize for the inconvenience. We can help you checking that though there is some important information that I have to give you first:

Every single Sling Media product comes with 90 days of free complimentary support and 1 year of hardware warranty. I found that your Sling Media product is older than 1 year.

You can use our free on line self-help at www.slingbox.com. You can type your issue in the search bar to get links related to it. You can also use the Slingbox forum at https://community.sling.com/index.jspa

To be able to receive technical support from Sling Media via email, voice and chat, I will need you to get the Per Incident Support Agreement.This Agreement permits multiple contacts if related to the original issue including email, chat and voice based support interactions and its price is $29.99

If you like to purchase this plan, I would suggest you to contact us at 877.GO.SLING (877.467.5464) to proceed with the order since, for security reasons, we do not take credit card information via chat. Once you have done that, you can feel free to contact us back via chat or continue the troubleshooting over the phone.
                  4:33 PM Me: my hardware is fine...it's your software update that created the problem...why would i have to purchase a service plan for that!?
                  4:34 PM Me: https://community.sling.com/message/21332#21332
                  4:34 PM Carlos: Check the options above and make a choice. Our software is not the problem. We have the same system on our Slingboxes here.
                  4:36 PM Me: well my remotes on my laptop/desktop slingplayers worked fine up until I was asked to perform the most recent software update...then the "menu" and "enter" keys greyed out on me in the skin -- but the functionality is still accessible. How is that a hardware issue??
                  4:36 PM Me: is the remote code part of the firmware update that was also performed recently?
                  4:37 PM Carlos: I am not authorized to answer a technical question for free since your products are out of warranty. Feel free to call the number above if you require our services.
                  4:38 PM Carlos: Thank you for contacting Sling Media chat support. Enjoy the rest of your day!

Carlos ends the chat while I am typing a response -- something he can see I am doing. What a ****.

It's embarrassing how poor the company's support is past the 90 day mark. What's to stop Sling from neglecting responsibility for potentially known bugs/issues in updates? Currently they are incentivized to embed a problem in an update in the interests of generating revenue through either forcing tech support plan purchases, or infuriating people to the point that they purchase a new product!! That's just an objective observation consistent with their disposition in my experience -- not some sort of conspiracy theory rant.

It's all smiles when you buy though isn't it? Sad.

alanrichey42 Master

OK, I just installed this device on my Slingbox and found that the Menu key was greyed out but still appeared to work.  The Exit key looked perfectly normal and appeared to work.   So it looks as though the problem is at your end.

Did you try the Custom Remote I suggested ?

Mpire

Hi Alan, to clarify, the Menu & Enter (not exit) keys are greyed out, and neither are working. I did not try your custom remote build, mostly because I really want to resolve the issue through a method not requiring some sort of custom fix...

My remotes worked fine....I ran recommended automatic firmware/software updates...then the issue popped up. I'm pretty tech savvy so this is so seemingly simple it's driving me nuts.

Can you recommend a fix that doesn't involve the custom remote, but rather some course of action to use readily available OEM Sling supported software/downloads?

A

alanrichey42 Master
                              Hi Alan, to clarify, the Menu & Enter (not exit) keys are greyed out, and neither are working.

Sorry, missed that.   I can confirm that the built-in Comcast remote is broken and those 2 buttons do not work.   I had actually seen on some blogs that during the recent debacle switching servers that the device/remote database and been 'bent'.  Looks like you are a victim of that.

because I really want to resolve the issue through a method not requiring some sort of custom fix...

But that isn't possible.   The ONLY way to fix this is for the Sling engineers to change the database.   There is no way I have ever found of contacting them so you have to hope they are reading this.  But I wouldn't hold your breath, I have never know it work before.

Can you recommend a fix that doesn't involve the custom remote, but rather some course of action to use readily available OEM Sling supported software/downloads?

There isn't one.

And I don't really understand your attitude to a Custom Remote.   I can promise you my support is 1000% better than Slings (and I don't charge $40 ), and I have just checked my Custom Remote and I can confirm the Menu button is working.   The Enter key is greyed out as I could not find a function to match it, but I can easily add that for you.

So you have nothing to lose by trying it ?

Cheers

Al

BrandonC Novice

You could try the DCH3200 remote.

This uses the C0483 Bin file not the C1116 Bin filet hat the 3416 uses.

Alan, FYI,

C1116 is missing key#19-id.remote.pad.enter, #33 - ?? ,  and #34, id.remote.menu.settings

C0483 hsa 49 keys mapped and C1116 has 46.

truth17

I have similar problems but i do not no how to access the remote files on WINDOWS 7