8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 23, 2016 8:20 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

2 Devices with 1 Slingbox 500

ReleasePT
    Visibility: Open to anyone

I bought a used Slingbox 500 and so far I'm very pleased with it.

I'd like to know if it's possible to connect 2 different devices to the slingbox. For example, using the HDMI entry for 1 device and the Component entry for the 2nd device.

I'm aware that if this is possible only 1 device at a time can be controlled and watched.

Thanks in advance.

• Re: 2 Devices with 1 Slingbox 500
          alanrichey42 Master

Yes, and the Composite input for a 3rd device as well.

ReleasePT

Thank you for the answer.

So in case I switch between sources will the remote control automatically change as well for the appropriate device selected?

sakisson Novice

yes with one small but important info,just be sure that your attached devices are available within the supported remote list, if both devices are not available and you will have to use customized remote controls for boht composite and component input, the last saved will overwrite the first one.

ReleasePT

Thank you sakisson. For now, I use a Dreambox 500HD which I was able to find on that list and it's working ok.

But I'd like to start using a VU+ Duo2 and a Cisco ISB2231. I believe those aren't available on the supported remote list but I've found 2 files for that boxes. Isn't it possible to save those 2 files in the Slingbox?

sakisson Novice

Every time you want to configure an input, lets say composite, you will have to choose a remote control from the sling supported list

I can see that the ISB2000 and 7000 series are in the supported list but I'm not sure if they are compatible with your ISB2231. if yes then problem is solved as the only customized one would be for the Vu+ Duo, the compatibility list is available here Slingbox.com - Find your video source with the Supported Video Sources Tool

In your case attach the Cisco on your composite-scart , install it using ISB2000 or wither 7000 series and find out if any of those remotes work with your slingbox

The last customized remote will ovewrite any other customized remote for each one of your inputs

ReleasePT

Thanks a lot for your help. I'll have to wait to try it until I get home next time, which will be in 2 months. I'm living abroad and you have no idea how this device has been helpful.

Because of video quality it would be better to connect the Cisco via HDMI and the VU+ via component right?

If there is a chance of connecting 2 HDMI devices it would be even better, I wouldn't have to buy the VU+ and I would connect the Dreambox device that I already own (the remote control is on the supported list); and I would connect the Cisco set-top box with the HDMI as well. This time I could try those remote control options you suggested or I could install the customized file I found.

sakisson Novice

HDMi and component will give you the same quality with one big difference, HDMi is encrypted and you might need an HDMi to component converter while the Vu+ has already component jacks-no encryption so its perfect

Just remember that you can attach 2 HDMi devices BUT you can can NOT have  2 remote controls for the same sling input at the same time > except if you are willing to run the setup everytime you want to use the devices connected on the same input

The HDMi input you can test it with your Cisco and the the Vu+ as it has component output jacks you attached it to the component input of the sling - you use the generic remote control for Vu+ devices and this problem is solved.

Only for the HDMi remote configuration , if the sling 2000 or 7000 cisco series work its great if not , then you might need another device to use with the HDMi sling input based on the supported link I gave you above

alanrichey42 Master

yes with one small but important info,just be sure that your attached devices are available within the supported remote list, if both devices are not available and you will have to use customized remote controls for boht composite and component input, the last saved will overwrite the first one.

While that is technically correct, that is only because I seem to be the only person who is producing Custom Remotes for unsupported devices.  Sling Media have no interest in doing it.   And I always use the code 2010 as my personal 'handle'.  And before you ask the obvious question, there are only 46 spare codes and as I have produced well over 1000 Custom Remotes so I would soon have run out if I tried to make them unique    So if you want to load 2 different Custom Remotes onto your Slingbox, just post a request here and I can very quickly recompile one of them for you to use a different code, normally 2011.