21 Replies Latest reply: Jun 17, 2011 4:14 AM by dpirovolos Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Pro HD can't reset

KRWortley

Hi, I have a ProHD that seems to be "locked" - the Slingbox light is on; the network connection light is out, and no means of resetting, turning off, unplugging, etc can change this. And of course there is a "connection error" message when trying to connect to it.

Any way to kick-start it to work again?

• Re: Pro HD can't reset
          velahome

Same problem here!  Did the same routine to reset it as well. Hope someone can help out!

KRWortley

I finally spoke to technical support. Their only solution is to replace the unit.

They clearly are not service oriented at Slingbox...

velahome

What a bummer!  I tried even removing the power from the unit overnight, as a last ditch effort.  No improvement

What a shame that we should have to consider purchasing another one of these expensive boxes.  I swear it worked fine until that last firmware update it took.  Then it started acting up, like the sling LED would flash as if it was connected to remotely out of no where, an no one accessing the thing.

Thitsa Newbie

I was able to reset, but continue to have problem with the remote which stopped working after firmware update.  Absolutley unacceptable that they cause a problem with an update & we have to buy new unit..  sounds like a consumer affairs issue....

ticdoc

Darn, the same thing just happened to me. The darn thing is 1.5 years old, just out of warranty. WTF another 300 bux? Firmware problem that screwed up the box? Slingbox tech support sux! They want to charge you just to talk to you for something they caused.

cparkhorn

Your problem sounds the same as mine.  I've got the pro hd.  All the sudden it stopped working.  I looked at the unit and the horseshoe was lit solid and the power light was on, but no network light.  Wouldn't reset either.  I borrowed a pro hd power cord and bam, it all worked perfectly.  Everything lit back up the way it should and I could view over my laptop.

I plugged the original power supply cord into the unit and bam, wouldn't work again.  I ordered a power supply from this website and it said in stock, but then when I purchased I got an email that states it's on back order.  Not sure when my sling will work again, hopefully soon.

velahome

I would like to try the replacement AC adapter to see if that does it.  But still, what a bummer to have to deal with this downtime.  I used to praise it to everyone, now Im frustrated, and am considering a HAVA instead.  My box is just over a year old according to amazon.

ticdoc

Wow, this is freakin crazy. I replaced the power supply with a new one and the sucker works again. Apparently the power supply is the issue.

*** Edited to observe Slingbox Answers Forum House Rules by Moderator. ***

velahome

Im desperate,  but dont want to purchase another slingbox replacement, rather buy another sling for another room.   So I went ahead and ordered another AC adapter, to try and see if that helps my box too.  We all actually miss the box, sad, it was so good to us for so long.   great for Doctor office waiting rooms on 3G for sure!

Sure wish Sling was cool and would just send us replacement AC adapters and/or just charge us shipping for one.  Its not too much to ask for a box that cost almost $300.00.  I could be wrong though, I guess.

velahome

Just to let everyone know that my new AC adapter came in and the slingbox works good as new again!  I sure hope if this is a sign, that someone finds a good aftermarket replacement.  As this one is sure to die within a year from what I have been reading.  so if your up to it, dont chuck it, buy a new adapter to see if it helps.

Stangs55

My new AC adapter came in as well.....it worked great for about a day....then back to the old poblem.

I'm currently running it with a 7..5 mA AC adapter that I found in my garage and i'ts been running for 24 hours....I'll let you guys know.

Good work sling!

will.hunting

Hello everyone,

I am having the same problem. Can I get a confrimation from everyone that "AC adaptor" is indeed the cause of this problem?

I called the tech support. God, was that a horrible experience. I don't know about you people, but I have never heard of companies asking you to pay for tech support. Even though my pro-hd is still under warranty, they won't send me a new adaptor for free unless I pay for the trouble shoot. Only when I agree to pay for the rediculous $29.99 for tech support, they will send me the adaptor ($19.99 shipping included) for free-assuming that is indeed the problem.

No wonder slingbox continues to be a second rated product and can never leapfrog its competition. This is so sad. Good product, terrible company!

Anyhow, please someone let me know if AC adaptor is the problem or not? If it is, maybe I will just go buy a subsititue adaptor. Don't want any more headahes from slingmedia.

Thanks a lot.

dpirovolos

Same problem here.  I can't believe they won't replace these things for free  for us.  Sling's customer support used to be great when they first started out but it's been downhill ever since.  I did buy my Pro-HD with AMEX so I should have an extended warranty but I'm not exactly sure how long they extend it for.  It shouldn't even come down to that but it doesn't sound like I have a choice.  Boo Sling!

will.hunting

Ok, here is what you should do.

You should first try to get another adaptor to test it out. If your problem is as simple as a broken adaptor, the new adaptor should just solve the problem. Just make sure you got the same specification of adaptor to try.

If your problem is not solved by a new adaptor, there is a chance your slingbox is borken just like mine. Then, you should first find out whether you are still under warranty. If you are, I suggest you to test it out with different adaptors and routers (if possible because the tech support people will ask all this during trouble shoot.) Then, call sling's tech support. If you are under warranty, you have to pay for their tech support first and go through their trouble shooting procedure. Once they determine the slingbox machine is indeed defective, they will replace it for free and refund you the tech support fee. I got mine replaced. Good luck!

dpirovolos

So I ended up filing an extended warranty claim through my credit card company.  After providing all of the paperwork they requested, they told me to proceed with an out of warranty replacement through slingbox for $149.99 (they approved my claim and are sending me a check as reimbursement) - great.  I got the new Pro-HD yesterday, hooked up and had the exact same problem that I was having with my old one.  Conclusion - has to be the power supply.  Called slingmedia's tech support and explained the issue to them and they agreed to send me out a new power supply at no charge.  I'm happy with that but I have a feeling that this problem is going arise again down the road and I'm not going to be covered when that happens.  I know it's only $19.99 or whatever for a new power supply but should we really have to pay to replace something that is clearly faulty?  Sling should definitely do the right thing and offer to replace these things for free for us as needed.  I can't even tell you how many pieces of A/V equipment I have in my house that are much older than my Pro-HD and I've never had to replace a power supply on any of them.

dpirovolos

So I got the new power supply and I'm still having pretty much the same issue with the new Pro-HD they sent me.  I even swapped in my "old" Pro-HD and that's still exhibiting the same behavior with the new power supply.  The only real difference I'm seeing with the new power supply is that I can reset the boxes and the upside down horseshoe turns off temporarily but it eventually comes back on once the box finishes rebooting.  I've tried connecting the boxes to different power outlets as well as connecting them directly to my router (normally use slinglinks) and I still can't get them to work properly.  My Slingbox Classic is on the same network and that works fine so it's not my network.  What could possibly be wrong with these things and why can't I get them to show up on my network?  Sling's tech support was unable to help and although they have escalated it to tier 2, I have yet to receive a call back from them and it's been more than a 24 hours already.  I'm not very happy that I went through the out of warranty exchange, yet still don't have a working slingbox.  Can anyone help?!