15 Replies Latest reply: Sep 14, 2010 8:47 PM by bw1128 RSS

pro-hd with directv and hdmi

bw1128

so im new to this. if i plug the coaxial cable then my hdtv doesnt get a signal. what can i do?

i have the home network for directv so my coaxial cable has to go to the swim system then to my dvr then hdmi to my tv. how do i stream line the slingbox into the mix? my router is next to the whole system.

please help?!?! also, can someone please confirm that i will be able to view a channel on my iphone while my wife watches a different channel at home?

• Re: pro-hd with directv and hdmi
          jimfitzgerald Apprentice

Leave the Direct tv and television setup as is.  Add component video and left right audio cables out of your DVR into your Slingbox.  Install the IR blaster cable from your Slingbox to the front of your DVR to control your DVR using your Slingbox virtual remote. Run an ethernet cable from your Slingbox to your router. This setup will allow you to view any channel your DVR is receiving via your computer or IPhone.   However, you will have to watch the same channel that is also being sent to your tv.

Now, your Slingbox Pro-HD has an internal tv tuner.  You can use this tuner to view different channels using your computer or phone.  However, the Slingbox tuner needs a signal source.  It is usually a coax cable coming from cable tv or an antenna.  I don't know anything about satellite tv, so I'm not sure if you can use the Direct tv coax feed or not.  If you can, run your Direct tv coax cable through your Slingbox, then to your Direct tv receiver.  If you can't use the Direct tv coax feed, you may want to install an antenna for an OTA signal to use as your second source.

bw1128

so i dont have to use the coax from the wall into the sling then into the tv? thats what the instructions states. but this interupts the signal to my tv via hdmi. also where do i plug the ethernet cable into my modem? any slot open?

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

Yes and no.  Read my response above.  You don't need to mess with the coax cable to watch channels coming from your DVR.  You just need to run component cables and audio cables from your DVR to the Slingbox.  However, you will be watching the same channel your wife is watching on the tv.

To use the Slingbox internal tuner and watch a different channel than your wife, you will need to also run the coax cable from the wall to the Slingbox to the Direct tv system.  The Slingbox has coax in and coax out similiar to a VCR for this purpose.   I just was not sure the Slingbox could use the raw satellite signal from the coax cable, but if that's what the directions say, then I guess it can.

Plug your ethernet cable into one of the open ports on your router.

bw1128

still trying to set this up. i know my ip address but how do i find my port number?

dbsguy Apprentice

The default used by the slingbox streams though port 5001 for remote viewing.

As far as your setup goes, you need to run as follows (I also have DirecTV.

• Connect a component video with audio cable from the output of your DirecTV receiver to the slignbox's component video and audio inputs.
                          • Connect an ethernet cable out of one of your routers available ouput ports to the slingbox's ethernet input.
                          • Connect an ethernet cable from one of your routers available output ports to the DirecTV's ethernet input connection (This is for video on demand, multiroom viewing, directv2pc, media share, ppv ordering, etc).
                          • Connect thing incomming satellite line from the satellite dish to the Directv's satellite input connection.
                          • Connect the HDMI output port of the DirecTV receiver to one of your TV's HDMI inputs.

This will allow you to do etherything correctly; however since you only have 1 satellite box, you will be watching the same thing as the local tv user is if you are both watching directv.  In oder to watch something different, you would need another source (another directv receiver, cabletv service, OTA antenna, dvd, blu-ray, etc). The sligbox's biult in tuner only allows for connection of cabletv or OTA antenna feeds. As I mentoned to watch directv on the local tv and another directv station on the slingbox simultaneously, you would need a seperate directv satellite receiver hooked to the slingbox for it's sole independant use.

bw1128

thanks! i will try this when i get home tonight. i believe i have it set up almost like this, it was late last night.

but i have three questions for you.

1. why does it look so BAD on my iphone4? i mean it really looks horrible and thats the only reason why i got this slingbox.

2. i cant get the volume to work at all. i can hear the clicks when hitting a button but no sounds from the show.

3. my directv set up is as follows: i have the hr23 hd dvr in the living room, where the slingbox is. this i have a hr22 hd reciever in the bedroom. can i get it toware we can watch different shows in the living room and my iphone since i do have another reciever? also, my modem is in the living room next to the dvr.

bw1128

can anyone help me with these problems?

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

With the Pro-HD, you could use your bedfoom satellite box as a second source.  You would have to run video and audio cables from the box to your Slingbox.  That's usually not very practical.

bw1128

yeah but i just got of the phone with slingmedia and they told me i CAN NOT use hdmi if i want to use the slingbox. i what the best quality picture on my tv more than on my iphone. is there not way around this?

dbsguy Apprentice

1. You can hook up your bedrooms satellite receiver for the slingbox's use. You can use HDMI to your bedroom tv, it's just that you cann't connect to the slingbox via hdmi. that's not an issue since all of the directv hd box's output connections are active at the same time. simply hook up the component video and audio outputs of the bedrrom's directv receiver to the slingbox's matching inputs.

2. Since your sharing the Bedroom's satellite receiver as a source for both the slingbox and the bedroom tv, if both a local (bedroom tv uer and a slingbox user were to use it at the same time) you would see the same show. If that's okie with you then it'll work out just fine; however if you want it not to effect any other tv user in the house, then a dedicated slingbox hooked solely to the slingbox hd would your solution.

Just FYI: If you were to add another satellite receiver to your account, directv's mirroring/lease fee runs $5.00/mth.

3. Your iPhone 4's picture is currently capped at 500kbps (which is a pretty good viewing experiance; however it will only work well remotely if you have enough upload bandwidth to support the 500kbps+). What package do you subscribe to from your ISP (in other words, what download and upload speeds are you getting)? You can verify your speeds by runing a test at www.speedtest.net and selecting the closest city as the test server. Post your results here.

4. As far as you not getting sound, make sure your hooked up from the satellite receiver's audio outputs to the slingbox's matching sound "INPUT". Also you may want to rerun the slingbox's setup wizard only again telling it your using the directv box (by entering it's model number and what audio input you assigned it to in terms of the hookup.

bw1128

well i did the remote workaround with a slingmedia rep and she told me that i had to use the component cables and that was probably the reason for the no sound. it did the same on her end.

so if i hook it up in the bedroom, how do i hook it up to the router which is in the living room 50 feet away.

i defientely want to be able to watch a different show on my iphone then whats in the bedroom/living room.

as far as my internet speed goes i have at&t uverse 12 mb/sec or something like that. its the next to fastest that they have. im not at my house right now to run the test.

dbsguy Apprentice

If you hook it to the current bedrrom tv's satellite receiver when both the bedroo tv is in use as well as the slingbox they will be watching the same thing.

Again for totally independant viewing (viewing that doesn't effect the living rom or bedrom tv's), you'd need to add another satellite receiver to your directv account and dedicate it soley for the slingbox's usage.

In any event, wherever you place the slingbox it must be wired back to the router. So if you plan on placing it in the bedrrom, you'd have to do one of thine following:

run an ethernet line from the routers location to the slingbox's locatoin

or

use a slinglink setup (basically piggy backs the ethernet signal over your houses existing power lines so no new wiring would be necessary; but at the expense of having to purchase the slinglink.

or

If you have an "N" class wirless router, you could purchase and use a wireless gaming adapter to get the ethernet signal to the slingbox; again at the purchase expense of the gaming router....

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

To watch two different programs at once, you need two tv sources.  You have those now with your two Directtv boxes.  If your tv's were close together, it would not be a problem.  You could run component cables and audio cables from each Directv box to your Pro-HD.  If you can't figure a way to do that, you can add a third Directv box or you could use an antenna for an OTA (over-the-air) signal to your Pro-HD.  The other option (one I am considering) is to purchase a second Slingbox for your second tv.  Connecting your Slingbox to your router is not really a problem.  If it's not close enough for an ethernet cable, you can use a SlingTurbo to send the signal via your in-house electrical wiring.  I am using one and it works great.

bw1128

Does the dedicated receiver need to be hooked up to a tv? Can I just add a receiver to the living room so its near the router?

Sent from my iPhone 4

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

A dedicated receiver does not need to be connected to a tv.  Ideally, it would be located with your Slingbox and router.  Of course, it would also need a feed from your satellite dish system.  I thought about getting a dedicated cable box for my Slingbox and putting it in my office (spare bedroom) where my router and printer are located and moving my Slingbox up there.