48 Replies Latest reply: Jan 2, 2012 2:32 PM by infinitempg RSS

Slingbox Player on Android - NOT Full Screen!!!

infinitempg Newbie

I use the Slingbox Player on my HTC Incredible Android (froyo 2.2) along with my Slingbox on Verizon FIOS at home and it has been working GREAT, WiFi and 3G.  Something I noticed recently and hopefully there is a fix for.  When i play anything there is about a 1/2" black frame around the image that's playing.  I tried everything i could find but I cannot make this play FULL SCREEN on my phone.

How can I make this use the WHOLE SCREEN rather then shrinking down an already small image???? 

Thanks! 

• Re: Slingbox Player on Android - NOT Full Screen!!!
          infinitempg Newbie

THOUGHT I had found with with the aspect settings on the phone.  But all this did was stretch the picture out side to side leaving the top and bottom blank and the image stretched, or squeezed it side to side and left the sides blank.  The regular aspect ration is correct for the image BUT it's shrunk down on all sides, the picture could be bigger in the same aspect ratio but I get a big black border on all four sides.

infinitempg Newbie

Also, my Slingbox is hooked up at home via composite cables and not S-video.  Would that make a difference?

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

I don't know, but why not use component cables?  My Motorola Droid is showing full screen with HD broadcast.

infinitempg Newbie

My TV is hooked up with the HDMI cable so my only other choice would be the S-video.  Would that make a difference?

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

I'm not familiar with FIOS.  Does it not have component out?  Quality of signal in order is HDMI, component, S-video, composite. I have no idea if it will make any difference on your Droid.

infinitempg Newbie

The video box is actually a Motorola HD QIP 7100 1 and my Slingbox accepts either the composite RCA cables for Video-Right-Left or S-Video.  I now have both hooked up to my box and configured.  On my PC I can switch to the composite cables and I get a shrunk down image, I switch to S-video and I get a larger image and can "zoom" and get the aspect ratio so it displays correctly on my 16:9 display when switched to full screen.

On my Incredible (froyo 2.2 Android) with the Android Slingbox Player installed, I can switch between the composite and the S-video and see no difference.  If I got to the aspect settings under the menu the Auto and the first setting look the same.  The image is shrunk down like this :

http://www.57web.com/sling01.jpg

The red outline is my display area and the blue is the image.  There are two other aspect settings, the wide one stretches the image out but it doesn't grow it vertically so it's across the width of the screen but it's not the full screen up and down and it's distorted when it's stretched as you can see below, also with the red being my display and the blue the image.

http://www.57web.com/sling02.jpg

The other aspect setting does just the opposite, cuts the sides off the image and stretches it to the top and bottom of the display.  Also distorting it.  This is that the Slingbox setting screens use the ENTIRE SCREEN, top to bottom, left to right as you can see below :

http://www.57web.com/sling03.jpg

As you can see, the Slingbox menus utilize the ENTIRE SCREEN.... so the question is, since the Slingbox menus can utilize the entire screen, why can't I get my TV PICTURE TO USE THE ENTIRE SCREEN????

johnh123

I've got this same problem with a dell streak.  Will only fill the screen if I stretch the aspect ratio.  Not acceptable.

BklynStyyleBaby

I have your exact setup, when you watch hd channels the picture is shrunk due to aspect ratio. If you watch the same ESPN channel in standard mode not hd, channel 70 (I think) you will fill the entire screen. This is because you have the old firmware for your slingbox. Update tour firmware and that should make hd channels full screen on your mobile device. Hope this helps.

Kludgy

I have the same issue with my DroidX, HOWEVER, I am betting that the reason it is not utilizing the full screen is that my Slingbox is a 'Slingbox Classic'.  I am using the S-Video input from my Scientific Atlanta HD8300 (Time Warner Cable), with the Time Warner Cable Power Boost Internet Connection which is one of the fastest home pipes available to the residential market.  It works fine, but I just don't think that the Classic has the horsepower (someone else mentioned the resolution) to sling in full screen to some of the higher end Android phones.

If you post the model of your Slingbox hardware that might be helpful. My next step is to get a Slingbox that wil stream HD from Component or HDMI input.

Also, if someone from Sling could weigh in on this, we would all appreciate it.

xtremski

I too have the same issue with my HTC Incredible and it not being full screen.  I have updated the Slingbox (which is a brand new Slingbox Solo), and is connected with high definition cables (RGB component, not svideo or composite).  For the record I've tried the composite and the results are the same. I've changed the aspect, but going through the different variations only seems to make it smaller.  It may be that the app works differently on the Moto versus the HTC.

Any word from Slingbox on this issue?

GaryMO Newbie

Any update on this problem?  No discussions for awhile.  I just started using SPM for Android on a new HTC Inspire, and I have the same problem -- not seeing a full screen.  Same whether programming is SD or HD.  Using S-cable rather than component cables.  I believe my Slingbox PRO-HD has up-to-date firmware.  Any suggestions as to how to solve this problem?

sfazen

Gary,

If you read through the posts, I think the only people that have solved the full screen issue are those that have an active component output on their Cable/Sat HD boxes (3 wire red-green-blue) with a component cable input on their Slingbox model.  My Slingbox is a Classic and it only has S-Video and Coax inputs.  The S-Video is much better than Coax, and I get full screen on the standard def channels with it, but the High Def channels do not utilize the full-screen on my DROIDX SlingPlayer.

I have a hunch that many people with other Cable/Sat boxes that use HDMI outputs to their TV's may not have active Component Cable outputs on their HD boxes.  The old firmware of my Scientific Atlanta HD DVR cable box prevented active HDMI output AND Component Cable output simultaneuously (at the same time).  When I got a firmware update and a new HD DVR box, I found out that now ALL the outputs on the box are active at the same time (HDMI, Component, Coax, S-Video, and even the old yellow wire composite cable).

The next thing that I'm researching is how to make the SlingBox access the 2nd Channel only of the HD-DVR Scientific Atlanta box.  This would prevent me from a tug-o-war channel changing battle with my kids on their TV when I want to watch NFL games while standing in line at Home Depot.

Any thoughts on this?  I can also start a new thread.

GaryMO Newbie

I switched from S-cable to component cables, set my DVR output on 1080i, and now I get full screen on basically the HD channels. Seems like the SD channels still don't kick in full screen, as some above have mentioned.  At least an improvement from before, and the SPM video clarity does look moderately better using component cables.

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

SD is not 16X9, so it will not be full screen.  Same as watching SD on a wide-screen tv.

sfazen

Great news, Gary!  If you could post all the details regarding your tech setup, I think it would very helpful to all the followers of this forum:

Cable/Sat Company:

Cable/Sat DVR box make/model:

Video DVR Connection to TV (HDMI, Component, Coax, S-Video, single yellow Composite cable, etc...):

Audio Connection to TV (HDMI, Optical digital, Coax Digital, Analog Red & White cables, etc...):

Internet Service--

Cable modem broadband

Dial up (just kidding)

ATT Uverse

Verizon FIOS

ISDN

DSL

etc...

Slingbox Model:

Slingbox Firmware:

Video Sling Connection to Cable/Sat box (HDMI, DVI, 3 wire RED, GREEN, BLUE Component, S-Video, Coax, single yellow Composite):

Audio Sling Connection to Cable/Sat box (HDMI, optical digital. coax digital, analog red/White cables):

Cellular carrier:

Phone Model (DroidX, Droid2, EVO, Incredible, etc...):

Android Version (2.1, 2.2 Froyo, 2.3, etc...)

Unlocked ROM or Standard Carrier build?

I know it may take some time to put all this together, but I know many (including myself) would really appreciate it.  Many of us are thinking about purchasing new Sling products or changing out our internet/cable/Sat service providers so these tech specs would be very helpful.

Also, any of you that are continuing to read this forum that have the full screen WORKING, please also take a little time to post these specs for everyone's benefit.  It is too bad that Sling couldn't quite figure out this simple configuration recommendation method to help out a number of SlingPlayer Android users.

infinitempg Newbie

This was explained in my message dated August 17, 2010 along with listing all my equipment, but I'll try to make it clearer.   This is what is going on (and I just now checked it to confirm). There are FOUR (4) available aspect ratios which I believe are Automatic, Minimized, Fit Width, and Fit Height :

NON-HD CHANNEL

Automatic - Image fits height, black on left and right

Minimized - Same as Automatic

Fit Width - Fits whole screen but the image is just stretched to fit the width

Fit Height - Same as Automatic

HD CHANNEL

Automatic - Image shrunk down in both height and width with black border ALL AROUND

Minimized - Same as Automatic

Fit Width - Stretched to fit width but height didn't change so image is distorted and black border top and bottom

Fit Height - Same as Automatic

If the FIT WIDTH aspect with an HD channel would grow the HEIGHT as well as the WIDTH it would work, but it DOES NOT.

As stated orginally, no settings fill the screen and it doesn't change with S-video or composite input.

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

Do not use s-video or composite.  They are not HD.  Use component cables from your cable box to your Slingbox.  My Droid displays HD as full screen.  It displays SD as 4X3 with the sides blacked out just the same as watching on a widescreen tv.

The Android app supports Slingbox Pro-HD and Slingbox SOLO.  If you're using something else, that is your problem.

infinitempg Newbie

My mistake, I meant component and not composite.  The RCA jack cables.  I am running with S-video right now but I will switch to component and test again.  Thanks.

infinitempg Newbie

I have an S-video hooked up from my cable box to my SlingBox and also have component cables hooked up and with my player I can switch between the two.  So I got a second and changed from the S-video cable to the component cables and there was NO DIFFERENCE.  The exact same results as stated above.  The SD channels look the same and so do the HD, regardless of S-video or component.  The "closest" full screen is either Automatic on SD or FIT WIDTH on HD, but the FIT WIDTH on HD just stretches the picture horizonatlly without stratching the picture vertically so you have a black band on top and bottom and the pitcure is distorted.

Still broke as per the initial message of this thread 

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

Which Slingbox do you have?

infinitempg Newbie

I have a SlingBox AV (I believe) but reading back thru the messages people with SlingBox Classics and SlingBox Solos are all experiencing the same thing.

sfazen

Ahhh.  The Slingbox AV is likely the root of your problems... Take a look at the picture of the back of the SlingBox AV.  Notice that there are are no Component Cable Video inputs (RED, GREEN, BLUE).  All of us that have the Classic, Tuner and AV, simply will not get the full screen on our Android phones.  None of these boxes have the Component 3 wire (RED, GREEN, BLUE) video inputs.

I could be wrong, but I think the Solo guys do actually see the full screen (please pipe in if you do).  The Solo's have the Component 3-wire (RED, GREEN, BLUE) video inputs, so as long as the SOLO guys are using this type of Video input ONLY the Solo boxes should work fine.

This is a picture of the back of the Slingbox AV - notice the lack of Component Cable input.

sfazen

Infinitempg,

The only suggestion I have left is make certain that the 3 wire (RED, GREEN, BLUE) Component cables are the ONLY ones coming from the Cable/Sat box directly to the SlingBox.  I am assuming that whatever SlingBox unit you have has the 3 wire Component (RED, GREEN, BLUE) input on it, so as long as it does, just make sure that you don't have any other cables connected to it (except the audio).

No Coax Cable connected (fat one with threaded nut and thin wire in middle)

No S-Video Cable connected.

No single yellow (composite) cable connected

Also, you should probably disconnect everything and unplug the power supplies for both the Slingbox and the Cabel/Sat box so that they both do a hard reboot.  Then connect ONLY the Component cables (RED, GREEN, BLUE).

Test it from a SlingPlayer on a PC first, just to make sure it is working.

Then connect your Android SlingPlayer and see if it works.

You may also try to get a friend with a different Android phone to log in to your Slingbox and see how shows up.

I imagine that if this doesn't work then it might be a firmware problem with your Slingbox or just a Bad SlingBox.

Good luck.

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

Again, the Android app is only supported by the Slingbox Pro-HD and the Slingbox SOLO.  It definitely works with a Slingbox SOLO connected to a cable box via COMPONENT cables and viewing with a Motorola Droid.  I know because that's what I have and it works perfectly.  HD shows are full screen and SD shows are 4X3 with the black side bars.  This is exactly the same presentation as on my Samsung HDTV.  I think I have made this same post several times in this thread.

• SlingBoX Classic Gets Full Screen On A TMOUSA HD2 Android Dual Boot Super System
                                                          Technology1 Newbie

I have a TMOUSA HD2 Android/Window Mobile Dual Boot Super System mobile phone set up, my SlingBox is a old Classic version.... I have two ("2") Slingplayer mobile apps on my TMOUSA HD2, one for the Windows mobile side and the other one for the Android side, both SlingPlayer mobile apps works like a charm, runs  smooth as silk....

Now here is the deal, most of you guys have the newer SlingBox Solo or Pro HD version SlingBox, but you cannot view your TV in a full Screen mode. Again, I have a older than dirt Classic SlingBox that has no problems playing TV in a 16.9  full screen and wall to wall full screen on certain channels. I'm using a Comcast Xfinity HD cable box, "Aspect Ratio" is set to 16.9 1080i resolution, even though most channels don't broadcast in 1080i.... My two ("2") Classic Slingboxes are using the Composite video connection....

All of you guys know that the Android SlingPlayer mobile app version is not supported by the SlingBox Classic, but ALL FUNCTIONS are working perfect on my TMOUSA HD2 Android side SlingPlayer mobile app.... So this thing about the SlingBox Classic not being supported by the Android SlingPayer mobile apps is not true, ALL compontent parts of the Android Slingplayer mobile app works like a charm with my older than dirt SlingBoxes classic version.... Also on the Windows mobile side, my SlingPlayer mobile app works perfect, but no 16.9 full screen or wall to wall full screen mobe. I have the black bars around the borders of the screen when trying to view full screen TV using  the Windows Mobile side SlingPlayer mobile appp ....

sfazen

I think Technology1 hit the nail on the head with his statement about the source being the problem.  I actually went and bought another SlingSolo so I have both a Classic and a Solo running next to each other and working perfectly.  I recently changed my Time Warner Scientiifc Atlanta 8300HD DVR setting to only show 1080i and 720p.  I basically unchecked the 480p and 480i resolutions in the settings menu, and now the Solo runs all channels perfectly and fills the 2 phones' screens (HTC Droid Incredible and Moto DroidX).  I currently have the Classic set up to only receive the Analog Cable directly from the cable outlet (no box hooked up to it), so I only get channels 1 - 99 and no DVR on that one.

I have a couple of friends that often log in to my Slingboxes (one is stationed in Italy and needs his fix of US TV), so having a backup for the NFL games is very handy (if they play this year).  This weekend I will try hooking the Classic up like it was before I got the Solo with S-Video to the DVR and see if the setting to 1080i and 720p only makes a difference.  Before the Solo, I could never get the Classic to play in full screen, which is why I originally posted here.

My only suggestion to Technology1 is to try using the S-Video input to your Classic instead of Composite, because the picture quality should be much better on S-Video.

aquow3553

If you are streaming standard definition TV try adjusting the aspect ratio on the droid mobile menu.

Toddmckinney

If you can't get your sling box to display HD channels fullscreen it most definitely is not a problem with the Slingbox.
                                                                Usually the cable box, TiVo, ATT U verse receiver will only display HD out of one input with HDMI,
                                                                Meaning if you have your Slingbox connected to the cable box  with component cables and that same cable box  is connected to a television with HDMI , your Slingbox will not get full widescreen display. The workaround for this is to only use component cables , and avoid HDMI cables entirely. I believe this is a copy protection feature of HDMI cables.