6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 13, 2010 1:13 PM by Heather27 RSS

Slingcatcher 'network error' problems

Heather27

I am having ongoing problems with my Slingcatcher. My Slingbox is set up in London connected to my SKY service and I can catch happily on my laptop.  I have a Slingcatcher in my apartment in Geneva which is connected to my Swisscom network and I can log on to my Sling account.  BUT I cannot get the Slingcatcher to produce a picture!  It keeps telling me 'Network Error'.  On the troubleshooting section, I have been through the steps to re-configure (if that is the right expression) my Slingbox when I was in London (ie Slingbox and laptop on the same network) but now back in Geneva I am still getting this network error message.  I am very frustrated! Does anyone know how to solve this?  I am sure there is something blocking the Slingcatcher signal but don't know how to fix it.  I am reasonably technical but female so please make your suggestions as simple as possible!!

Thanks Heather

• Re: Slingcatcher 'network error' problems
          alano Newbie

Hi Heather.

I had endless problems since early August when Sling did something to their servers.  I've had to re-do all my configuration at the SlingBox end, but late last week I finally got it working again.

Fire up SlingPlayer on your PC in Geneva.  Once it has started streaming the picture (and NOT before), press the Shift-Alt-I keys.   A diagnostic window will appear.  Look at what value is showing for Stream Type.  If it shows "TCP" then your SlingCatcher should be working!   If it says SNATT then it means there is something wrong - almost certainly at your SlingBox end in London.

If it shows SNATT, surf to this Sling website: http://support.slingbox.com and login using your Sling account details.  From my experience, the "My Slingbox Info" panel will probably show a Critical Error - in which case...

(1) In the Internet Viewing section, check that it says "Set Up Complete: Yes".  If it is not complete, then you need to have another go at setting up your SlingBox in London for Internet Viewing.  

(2) Take note of the Slingbox Private IP Address and Slingbox Port in the Internet Viewing section and check they match the IP of your SlingBox and the settings for Port Forwarding on your Router in London (note: you do not need to set up Port Forwarding in Geneva).

Hope that helps.

Heather27

Hi Alano

Thanks for your helpful email. I have followed your steps and Yes, I do get the SNATT error!  I have already tried the steps with internet viewing when I was in London so I was really hoping that it would work this time.  The Slingcatcher logs on quite happily here in  Geneva so it is not a problem with my Swisscom network but everytime I try to load it says Network error.  I guess I will have to wait until I get back to London next weekend.  Trouble is that I really need to be in both places at once as I can't check whether the changes I make have any effect until I get back to Geneva - at which point it is too late to correct it in London!!

Aaaaggghh!  What a frustrating weekend I have had!  One thing I do find quite strange is that Slingbox don't have their own support but rely on people helping each other??  If I was running the company I would make sure that my customers had access to proper support as at the moment I am getting increasingly frustrated with a product which is not working - and it may be returned to the store quite soon if it doesn't perform!!

Thanks again for your help.

Heather

alano Newbie

Hi Heather.

Pleasingly, you will be able to test it in London - by using the data presented by logging in and viewing: http://support.slingbox.com (you can test it from anywhere - you don't need to be in the same place as either the SlingBox or SlingCatcher).

Check that status page right now from Geneva.  Does it show a "critical error"?    If it does, then when you get back to London, you can change settings and keep checking that status page to see if you have corrected it.  When the error message goes away, you'll know it'll work from Geneva.

Confirm now... do you get the "critical error" on the status page?   If so, I'll write some helpful notes for you - it will be later, though as I am now very busy.

Best wishes,

Alan

Heather27

Hi Alan

Thanks for yours.  When I login to slingbox support I get a Status Warning on both  my Internet Viewing Status and also on my Sliingbox Software Status.  (The Software one I am not so concerned about because it has said that it is better to update software when you are at home so I will do this at the weekend when I am in London).    It doesn't actually say Critical Error - just Warning on the status.  Do you think it would help to take the Slingcatcher back to London at the weekend and set them up together there?

I can still watch on my laptop without any problems although the quality of the picture is not great.

Thanks again for your help!
                      Heather

alano Newbie

Hi Heather.

There won't be any benefit in taking the SlingCatcher back to London - as it works differently when on your local network.

When you're in the UK you need to run the Setup Internet Viewing wizard in Sling Player, which will go through the motions of setting up your router's Port Forwarding (some routers call it "Virtual Server" settings).   It is very important that once you've finished the router settings, the wizard tests your Internet Viewing settings and confirms that they were successful (don't skip that step!).

Once you've run the wizard, double check the support.slingbox.com website to see that it now says that Internet Viewing "Set Up Complete: Yes", and that no errors or warnings appear.

I shall be online over the weekend - let us know how it goes.

Best wishes,

Alan