11 Replies Latest reply: Feb 24, 2011 11:33 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

SlingBox Solo Black and White

doscarri

My sling player star to show the tv in Black and White whit good quality of network and video quality and goood sound too... the only thing is that the screen is black and white ?!

• Re: SlingBox Solo Black and White
          dbsguy Apprentice

are you using an svhs (s-video) cable for the video connection method between your slingbox and the source equipment?

If so, look to the cable as the potential problem. If not fully inseted to each component or if a pin is bent on either end of the cable during insertion this is the symptom that you'd expect.

gageryan

any other suggestions on what makes the picture only black and white on the laptop and my droid?

dbsguy Apprentice

Since you didn't give any information on how you have it connected (what cable type connection method), and you didn't state what slingbox model you have, nor the product it is connected to; there's not much info to answer your question with.....

gageryan

Sorry about that. I have the slingbox solo. Hooked up to my directv  box using the composite a/v cables that came with the slingbox. I have disconnected and reconnected several times and also reset the box. My directv box does have componen output as well as s video. Should I b using one of those?

Sent via DROID on Verizon Wireless

dbsguy Apprentice

Since you have a solo, you should be using component video cables for the best picture. You'll also have to rerun the setup wizard from within slingplayer on a network computer in order to select that video connection type.

Post back your results, as I think you'll be pleasantly suprised.....

gageryan

Woohoo! I switched to the component cable and it's in color! You are awesome! Thank you so much! I'm kind of wishing I would've spent the extra 100 dollars and bought the hd version. Whatcha think? I watch it on my droid x.

Sent via DROID on Verizon Wireless

dbsguy Apprentice

Personally I would have gone with the Pro HD unit; and did for that matter. However, it's not going to improve the picture on the droid as it's capped by the sling media droid app at the resolution your getting now. The advantages for getting a Pro HD unit would be HD streaming in network on any PC or Mac, Receiving a better picture streaming remotely on a PC or Mac up to HD resolution depending on your ISP upload bandwidth at the host location (you need 3.5mbps to be able to stream full HD resolutions), and the ability to hook up multiple sources to the slingbox for varied viewing such as not only your satellite receiver, but antenna or cabe feeds, security cams, dvd or blu-ray players, etc.....

chdl33

I'm reading this with interest, as I have managed to set up my Virgin media cabble box successfully with a mix of scart to composite. However, I would like to connect my DVD/HD player - I only have the component cables left which I have attached and all I got was black and white and no sound. I have found a spare red and white cable for the sound, but it's still black and white. No S-video cable comes in the box but would this be a better option in order to get colour? Everything is plugged in securely. Cheers