3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2016 9:33 AM by rodewalr RSS

Slingplayer in Chromebook?

jimkelly49

I have searched everywhere, but still can't see how to connect to my Slingbox using my Chromebook.  I have the Slingplayer extension installed, but can't actually find it anywhere in the Chrome browser, or see how to access it.  Any advice much appreciated - thanks!

• Re: Slingplayer in Chromebook?
          evan.sling Novice

Hi Jim!

Currently, Chromebook is not supported for use with Slingbox.  Take a look at this article - it will let you know what computer operating systems, as well as which browser versions are supported:

Hope this helps!

-Evan

rodewalr

I have two Slingbox PRO-HDs, which I use to stream to my two HP Chromebook 14s using the Slingplayer Chrome app.  Everything works well.  Perhaps the operative word is "support".  Chromebooks are compatible with at least some Slingboxes and Slingplayer apps, even though Slingbox, the company, doesn't want to provide support, i.e., you are on your own.  It is too bad that the Slingplayer people don't provide consistent information about compatibility among their various Slingbox models, Slingplayer apps, and operating systems.  They seem to be pursuing a business model focused on getting their customers to upgrade to their newer models (with all those obnoxious embedded ads).  Too bad since their basic product and idea are great.

rodewalr

By the way, my Slingbox PRO-HDs also work with the Slingplayer Facebook app, whether I am using my Chromebooks or Windows 10 computers using Chrome, Firefox, or IE.  Slingbox, the company, simply provides incorrect information about compatibility.  Sad, sad, sad.  The situation is a good example of the fact that you are at the mercy of the manufacturer for software/firmware support regardless of the hardware.  If there are compatibility issues with the newer Slingbox models, they could easily be corrected with software/firmware fixes IF the Slingbox people wanted (?) to provide support.