2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 6, 2010 8:22 AM by cgcmgr RSS

Best Possible Picture?

cgcmgr

Hey Guys,

I've asked this question a few times last year and never received a response.  Basically I have the opportunity to create a few different setups and was wondering what would geive a better picture.  Currently I have a SOLO slinging to a Slingcatcher to a 4:3 TV.  The SOLO is connected via component cables to my cable box and the Slingcatcher is connected to my TV via component cables also.  The picture is decent, but can always be better.  It is a 50 inch screen and I'm sure that has a lot to do with the picture quality.  I purchased a PRO-HD and had it connected and noticed little quality improvements.  I never really played around with it much, but I intend to do so now.  Altough the TV is 4:3 it can display HD.  It is an old Sony, one of the first that could display 1080i.  It just puts bars on the top and bottom of the 4:3 screen.  So here's my question.

Assuming my upload and download speeds are sufficient to sling and receive HD video without any problems, here is what I want to do.  Bear with me, there may be a lot to take in.

I'm basically looking for the setup that will result in the best picture.  Here are possible setups.  Can someone rank them best to worst?

1.  Current setup - SOLO to Slingcatcher, both connected via component cables.

2.  PRO-HD to Slingcatcher both connected via component cables with cable box outputing standard definition video.

3 . PRO-HD to Slingcatcher both connected via component cables with cable box outputting High Definition video.

4.  SOLO to Slingplayer on my computer, which is connected via component out on my graphics card to my TV - Standard Definition output from cable box

5.  SOLO to Slingplayer on my computer, which is connected via component out on my graphics card to my TV - High Definition output from cable box

6.  PRO-HD to Slingplayer on my computer, which is connected via component out on my graphics card to my TV - Standard Definition output from cable box

7.  PRO-HD to Slingplayer on my computer, which is connected via component out on my graphics card to my TV - High Definition output from cable box.

Now, for HD to sling properly on my computer, I would need a graphics card capable of decoding the H.264 compression, correct?  Let's assume I have a card that can do that.  Out of the 7 possible setups, what would yield the best picture?  Is there a setup I didn't list that you may know of that would give a better picture?

How important is the graphics card when using Slingplayer?  Will a better (faster, more memory) card produce a better picture?  How important is processor speed?  Sorry for all the questions, but I really don't want to have to do trial and error.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Chris

• Re: Best Possible Picture?
          jimfitzgerald Apprentice

I'm no expert, but just based on logic, an HD signal will give you the best picture if you can send, transmit, receive, and display HD.  First, you must truly have sufficient broadband capacity to send and receive the HD signal.  You would use the Pro-HD Slingbox  with something like 3 mbps upload speed.  You would need an HD signal from you cable box.  You would probably want your Slingbox hardwired to your router for best results.  As for reception, is the SlingCatcher HD capable?  If not, rule that out.  Your computer would need to be fully HD capable.  I think you could send the HD signal from your HD capable computer to an HD television, hardwired for best results.

• Re: Best Possible Picture?
              cgcmgr

Thanks for your answer.  I follow your logic and agree with you.  The Slingcatcher cannot support HD so I will rule that out.  I just wanted to make sure outputting from the computer to the TV would be the better choice.  I'll set it up and see how it goes.