2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 5, 2010 10:57 PM by eferz RSS

Video issues - low streaming rates

mike@bdautographprints.com

Hello and thanks for your time reading this post.

I have had a Slingbox AV hosted on a BellSouth DSL connection in Boca Raton, FL for the past 4-6 years. It has been incredibly useful and has never had a problem streaming video. I have accessed the device remotely while travelling in the Southeast USA and have also picked up the stream while in Hong Kong at various times.

This weekend, I find myself travelling to Rhode Island to see family for the first time in 10+ years and was shocked to see that I can connect to the Slingbox but unable to pick up a video stream. The slingplayer remote allows me to change channels and delivers the portion of the stream which shows that I have changed a channel - but the video is still blank.

I ran a traceroute between my Dad's Cox cable connection and my BellSouth DSL Hosted Slingbox and show a wacky commute from Rhode Island to Boca Raton and ping times are relatively high but I cannot help but think that accessing the device from Hong Kong would have been a tougher feat than while in RI.

I am getting a very low speed displayed on my slingplayer software - usually below 100 kbps - however, there are times when it pulls down the usual 285 kbps - 300 kbos but still no video.

Could Cox be blocking the actual video stream or are my low end to end speeds crippling my video?