71 Replies Latest reply: Jan 9, 2013 12:56 PM by rickhenders Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Country selection

hennyr

Today I tried as usual to connect to my standard Slingbox through my Windows PC.

Instead of the the normal sign-on procedure I got a new menu that wanted me to select a country

and a language.

After that the new procedure did not accept any of my inputs and refused to let me connect to my Slingbox.

What did I do wrong?

• Re: Country selection
          tdcollins1

Same problem here!

mj77

I am having the same issue.  Any luck with the cookies solution? It didnt work for me...

smclouse Newbie

I have the same problem and deleting the specified cookies didn't work for me.  I have a second laptop using the same wireless router and I am able to connect to the same slingbox without any trouble.

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

Just delete all your cookies from your browser.  You should be able to sign on then.

eferz Expert

I should point out, deleting the cookies is a solution to fix the only "country - language" selection issue which is preventing you from logging into the Sling Account for each web page.  Logging into to your Slingbox through http://watch.slingbox.com is a completely different matter.

Just these two pages:

login-aa.jpg

login-ll.jpg

If you're still having problem with these two pages, try deleting the specified cookies again and all your cached web pages.

smclouse Newbie

Thank you for your interest and feedback.  I have deleted all cookies and have confirmed this by scrolling through the temporary internet files.  I still have the same issue.  When I select "Watch" I am immediatly directed to the "Select Country and Language screen".  Everything has been normal for the past year until yesterday.  I have made no changes to anything.  Any further help you can give would be most appreciated.

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

So, did you then choose your country and sign back onto the network.  That's what I did and have not had a problem since.

smclouse Newbie

Yes.  I selected my country (US) but nothing happens.  There is no way that I have found to get the screen to accept or acknowledge my input.  I have tried to close the window and do it again and have also opened another tab subsequent to this selection and in every case the result is the same, I am presented with the same dead-end screen asking for country and language. 

eferz Expert

That's interesting, that's the same problem I had with Opera from yesterday.  Which browser did you say you were having problems with?  Also, have you tried a different browser?

Here's what I would do.

1. Set your browser to prompt you to accept cookies. 
                                    2. Don't accept any cookies until step 8
                                    3. Delete all the cookies that are associate with any and all of Sling's websites
                                    4. Delete your web pages caches
                                    5. Close your browser
                                    6. Restart your computer
                                    7. Open your browser
                                    8. Set your browser back to whatever setting your comfortable with cookie acception
                                    9. Go to www.slingbox.com
                                    10. Log in, using the upper-right link
                                    11. make sure to checkmark "Remember this computer" at the Sling Account screen
                                    12. Then goto watch.slingbox.com
                                    13. Let us know what happens.
                                        eferz Expert

nlees wrote:

Clearing all browsing history and cookies and rebooting has not fixed the issue.  I  have never been more fed up with Slingmedia than I am today. Why must  the site be so complicated that one little glitch causes everything to  fail? just simplify the dang thing for crying outloud.

Really do we need so many cookies we cant even count them?  Must we always improve on whats working? (dont fix what's not broke)  It took 20 min just to find the desktop software to download.

I think who's ever in charge of the IT department is trying get an idea of all the services and trying to consolidate them.  Seems like they're not taking the time to understand the entire infrastructure before making changes.  So, it seems like they're playing Jenga with the Sling Media services.

smclouse Newbie

After carefully following your step by step instructions I went to slingbox.com and within a second or two was directed to the countries screen as before.  There was no oportunity to sign in.  The only place I have a chance to sign in is at the top of this forum which I have done.  When I select 'watch" from the top of the forum it takes me directly to the countries screen again with no further options.  I am using IE8 but have also tried to use Firefox with the same dismal result.  Any more ideas?  Thanks.

TSether

I have two net books running XP.  One was working fine last week.  The other I tried for the fist time ever to connect to Slingbox.com.  Both now take me straight to the country selection screen.  Where all the links appear to be dead.

I have tried the everything listed in this thread to fix them. I have tried IE, FF and Opera.  Nothing works.  I have spend way too much time on a stupid problem.  SOMETHING HAS CHANGED ON THE SLING SITE!!!  I only use the one net book for Slingbox, it worked fine when I should it down about 7 days ago.  I fired it up yesterday and tried to use it and this problem appears.

The only thing I can offer is that it is windows related?  Both Netbooks are XP.   Everything is working fine on my Macbook Pro using FF?

Other note If I click on Watch or Support it takes me to the country login.  So there mybe a lot of people out there that can't even report the problem because they can't get to the forum?  I have looked I don't see a email support address any where on the site?

I'm not too impressed with support!  Going to think twice before I recommed this product to any more people.

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

Yes, I think something definitely changed within the last few days.  Strange thing though.  I am having no problems connecting with my computer and my Droid.  I am running Windows XP sp3.  When I installed my Slingbox Solo about a week ago, I just went through the normal setup.  After I did the initial install, I went back and did the part for viewing over the internet.  My CradlePoint router was not listed and the install software automatically set it up when I chose "other."  I think if I was having connection problems, I might try and do a reinstall.

smclouse Newbie

Are you still having this problem or have you found a solution.  So far my inquiries to sling media have been answered but not resolved. Please let me know how you have resolved this problem. Thanks.

PatrickDaly

I am having the same trouble.  I am in Japan and I am trying to connect through a PS3 and I keep getting the country select screen.  I can watch on my laptp fine.  I just can't get the ps 3 to work

smclouse Newbie

This is clearly a worldwide phenomenon and not just a few know-nothing newbies unable to follow instructions. As such it would be nice to see Sling Media acknowledge the issue and give some guidance on this forum, or at least state that the problem is being studied!

weedtort

You all are absolutely correct.  This is one giant SlingMedia mess.  I have 2 desktop computers that use Windows 7 and Windows Vista that are working fine connecting via the web watching, as well as a laptop with Vista.  All on one network.  But the main computer (desktop) with Windows 7 refuses to do anything but go to the choose your language page, which when you click a language you get an error on the page about  "page tracker is null or not an object".  I cannot go further.  This is bs if so many folks are having the same problem.  Sling will not allow us to contact them directly.

*** Edited to observe Slingbox Answers Forum House Rules by Moderator. ***

Expert

weedtort - apologies, but who said you can't contact us directly?

Contact Sling Media

weedtort

Your website says so unless I first pay a $50 fee. No calls, no chat allowed after 90 days unless you pay first.

And, yes all of us seem to have done everything possible and it is not possible to get to just slingbox.com. It auto redirects to the "country" page and nothing happens from there. Page shows an error on it once you click a country. I referenced the error message in my posting.

Neal H. Paster

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

smclouse Newbie

Are you still having the same problem with the country and language screen?  I so please let me know and if not please tell me how you managed to fix the problem.  I have been actively trying to get this resolved with sling media. Thanks.

Expert

Hey smclouse - I can't seem to reproduce the issue you're having here, but we're investigating it, definitely... will advise.

In the meantime, just to be crystal clear, you've cleared browser cookies and cache, directed your browser to slingbox.com and reselected the appropriate country and the issue still persists?

smclouse Newbie

Thank you Dana.  Yes, I have cleared all cookies and temporary files.  The problem still persists.  Just to give you more info, I have a different laptop that connects and operates perfectly just as it always has, both remotely and at home.  Also, my two home desktops are unable to reach slingbox.com.  In all cases I am directed to the country and language selection screen where it will accept no input, a dead end.  There are many others getting the same runaround it would seem from reading the postings on this forum.  I have just today returned to Italy from the states and I have the same situation here. One laptop can get to slingbox.com and the other cannot.  I have a slingcatcher here and it is working just fine.  I would be happy to have you log into my laptop via log-me-in rescue and see for yourself and perhaps try a few things.  Also, I can log in to the forum ok but if I click the Watch tab at the top I get the same result, the dead end country screen.  Please help.

Expert

Not to dispatch the issue you're having or give you further cause to feel like you're getting a run around, but if one machine can connect A-OK and another cannot, the issue would lie with the offending machine, right? The log in cookie is binary - it's either working and you can log in, or you can't.

If you couldn't log in with any machines or from any browser, then we'd have a larger problem on our end, of course. But because this is only affecting one laptop and not the other, the troubleshooting would need to be focused on the laptop(s) and their setups.

So rather than push back, I'd suggest calling our support line, as they would be able to help further troubleshoot and resolve the issue with you. If you're outside the 90 days of complimentary support included with your Slingbox (or SlingPlayer Mobile purchase!), note that a single support incident fee of $29.99 could be purchased.

Hope the above makes sense! Thanks.

smclouse Newbie

Thanks again for your reply.  What you say would make sense to me if it were only one computer that had somehow gone haywire.  But as I said, I have two desktops that all of a sudden have the same problem.  Out of four computers, two laptops and two desktops, only one can connect to slingbox.com without getting stuck in the dead end country screen.  I am willing to accept that this is a difficult problem to troubleshoot at your end and I am willing to wait and see what comes next on the forum, but it is abundantly clear that there is a bigger issue here.  Since I am in a position that many are not, ie. I still have access by other means, I will not be paying to resolve an issue that has appeared abruptly and without cause on my part.  Good luck in dealing with the many others who are suffering from the same problem.

Expert

Well, again, we're continuing our investigation and will report any findings here, but are having difficulty reproducing the issue.

Just so that I can better understand the issue at hand, when deleting all the Sling Media cookies from your browser, have you also deleted the "sm_locale" cookie?

Expert

Also, there is no phone number attached to your account information. Given the difficulty of reproducing this on our end, I'd like to have someone call you, if this is acceptable/convenient. You can either send a contact # to me via private message or add it yourself via your Sling Account. Thanks.

smclouse Newbie

I have responded to an e-mail from a Sling Rep and have given him my phone number along with the best time to call.  Also, the cookie you have referenced does not appear to exist on my computer.

nlees

FireFox 3.6.9 had an update (removal of a feature) that caused issues with links being broken - though I cant remember the specific name of the application/applet that caused this but I'll have it tomorrow.

I might suggest checking the specific versions of FF and IE being used as mentioned above the issues may be related to features deprecated in the latest updates ... meaning issue is with servers needing updated. thanks.

asbondy

I am only having a problem using Firefox- cannot get past the 'select country' page and it won't do anything when i select my country. It works fine with Explorer- very frustrating...

smclouse Newbie

I just got off the phone with a customer service rep in the UK who logged into my computer (no, it didn't cost me anything) and was able to see first hand the issue all of us have been dealing with for weeks.  He was unable to do anything to fix the problem and has escalated the problem to a higher level.  This means that for the first time this glitch is finally being looked at and and delt with by those at Sling Media who can actually do something to fix it!  I will post again when I hear something more on this open case number.

tdcollins1

Thanks for your persistence!  Amazing that it has taken this long for them to "see" the actual problem.

weedtort

thank you for the updated information.  I shall not bother them at Slingbox further while they try to address the problem.  I was going to do the same today after speaking with one of their reps yesterday in the afternoon.  But, now that they have been able to duplicate the problem on your computer, I think that should suffice for them to try to come up with some solution for us all.  Sure is nice to know we aren't all crazy, anyway.

mlendach

Well, I knew we weren't crazy and from asking around a ton of other people are also having this same issue.

I know it started for me in Firefox as soon as the Firefox updated version was installed.  My IE 8 has remained fine.

I even hacked around in the source code of the Sling website today, but was not able to bypass the dreaded country/language screen.

Hopefully we will get a detailed fix asap.

smclouse Newbie

In an effort to keep my last post of 23 Sept up-to-date, I have had no next day response from the service rep at the UK site.  The problem still exists as is clear from the growing number of "views" of this thread, now at almost 2900, with 54 replies. The most recent is yesterday from brent244 with the same issue, this time with his PS3 browser.  It is clear that this is not browser dependent and that this probem is NOT going away.  I will continue to pusue my open case number with Sling Media support and will keep the group informed as to any progress on that front.

smclouse Newbie

I have good news for those of us that are following this thread.  Today I received a call from the person assigned the troubleshoot this case number and we have made some progress.  I will be talking to him again tomorrow and will post an update after our conversation.

smclouse Newbie

Here is the latest on this issue.  My problem is likely being caused by a version of Norton Anti Virus software that is somehow not allowing the country selection screen to load cookies and move on.  Out of 5 machines the only 2 that have this problem are the ones with this software version installed.  The cause may be the same for everyone or perhaps there are still other causes yet to be discovered.  A "workaround" has been devised to install these cookies directly into the cookies file.  Sling Media will be posting a detailed account of how this is accomplished very soon I am told.  This case number has been closed and until more is learned the workaround should be of help to everyone.  In spite of being a little slow (in my opinion) to grasp the nature and extent of the problem, I am very pleased with the professional and friendly way this was handled by all concerned.

mlendach

Thanks!  I think we've all assumed it was cookies based, so it's great to hear they are getting a handle on this... even if they should have owned and posted info on this known issue affecting thousands of people weeks ago.

weedtort

That sounds great, except for the fact that I don't run ant Norton products on any of my computers. I use Zone Alarm and I have shut it off completely and still have the same problem on 2 computers--one running Vista and the other Windows 7. But, I will try their "fix" first to see if it works before seeking any additional help from Sling.

Weedtort

Houston, TX USA

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

ACC263625

So what was the fix for this?  I am experiencing this issue and looking for a resolution.

mj77

It has been a while since i logged into this thread as i have been able to get my Slingbox to work throught the Slingplayer icon on my desktop.  It is good to know others are still feeling my pain.  Any idea on when the fix will be posted and where it will be on the website?  Thanks...

PoPPaP

After reviewing the page source I found the workaround...

goto

https://accounts.sling.com/accounts/locale?next=http://watch.slingbox.com&locale=en_US

and that should do...

P.S. replace en_US with your language and country code.

-PoP

sseip@harline.net

Any update on this I'm having the same issue? 

mlendach

I uninstalled/re-installed FireFox version 3.6.11 and it is working for me again after a restart.  It went thru the whole language selection thing, but I chose English and it worked after that.

FYI, I am running Windows 7 Ultimate and I did a restart after un-installing Firefox.

mraphael

I have been having the same 'country' problem for the last two days trying to logon using FIREFOX.

I could logon with IE, but not FIREFOX.

I just used the following link that was suggested:

https://accounts.sling.com/accounts/locale?next=http://watch.slingbox.com&locale=en_US

and it worked ok.

I'm putting that link into my 'coffee cup' add on.

Thanks for the link.

Mike
                                                                                                  viperware

Same thing started mysteriously happening on one of my machines, nice that sling doesn't acknowledge it at all. Thanks to the other users for supplying the workaround link.

CruisesPerth

Hello, there.I would like to express the same concern but not for me though. My sister is having the same issue when prompted for their locality. Hope someone can give a workable process to address this.

jonlhill

Is there a reason SO many people are experiencing this and it hasn't been fixed yet? I just got a slingloaded DVR from Dish, excited to see what I paid extra for and frankly the fact that so many people have been complaining about this for so long and the answers Sling has been handing out are total ****. I cleared my cookies, etc and within a few page clicks things are right back at the language selection page. I've tried 3 browsers, 3 computers, and an iPad and the same thing every single place. No user should experience this level of malfunction this early!!!

KenKahn

I ran into this problem just a few weeks ago, so apaprently it hasn't been 'officially' fixed yet.  I use the supplied URL

and that solved the problem.  Interestingly, the original URL, watch.slingbox.com, now works fine also.  So something got reset.
                                                                                                            rickhenders

After hours and hours, I finally got the slingplayer on the HDS-600RS working and I can watch it on an old computer via the website slingbox.com and via the Ipad. I am still having issues with my windows 7 64 bit laptop. I simply cannot get passed the county selection. I have used the 32 bit internet explorer, played around with all the virus software, internet explorer active X settings but it makes no difference. Also downloaded chrome and still the same. I can not get passed the country selection screen.

Found this thread and it really helped. It works when I use this workaround. However when I go to slingbox.com and try to watch, it says “Cannot connect to this earlier Slingbox model.” Also when I try and use the Facebook app I get a similar issue. Could somebody please help as I would like to eliminate this work around and fix the issue.

gabby10

i am having this problem today on my MAC - what can be done? No problem on the HP or IPAD....