6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 25, 2016 12:40 PM by Golfbal1 RSS

Multiple Roku's: Slingbox always defaults to 1 roku?

wkrik

I have 3 Roku's  (2xRoku2 and 1xRoku1). The roku1 is connected to my TV alongside my Slingbox, One Roku2 is in another part of the house and one is offsite somewhere else. When I try to connect to the Slingbox from either one of my Roku2's, it keeps trying to default to my Roku1. I can still Sling from my phones, tablets and computer with no issues.

Do/Can I detach from the specific Roku so it can be seen by the others?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-wk

• Re: Multiple Roku's: Slingbox always defaults to 1 roku?
          eric_b Newbie

I'm interested in this as well.  I was considering purchasing a second Roku.  Does anyone have it working?

wk, one question... if you go to the settings and manually put the ip address of one of the other Roku's, will it play?

wkrik

There is no manual setting for which Roku you want your mobile device to connect to which Roku. if you have more than one Roku. There are other postings that users slingbox's are randomly connecting to a Roku they don't want. It seems Slingmedia may not have taken into account people owning more than one Roku. I still need to test turning all Roku's off except the one I want to use.

eric_b Newbie

There is an option 'Add Roku Player' when you access the settings on the mobile app.  It only has the option to enter a single ip address, however.  Do all of your Roku's appear when you select the 'cast' icon?  Or, just the one?

Golfbal1 Newbie

I have 4 Rokus and 2 Chromecast version 2

On Android Sling Player, all Rokus and Chromecasts show up however the descriptive name of the Roku (i.e. Livingroom, Kitchen, bedroom, etc) does not show up.  What you get is the serial number of the device, for exampl: Roku 8454jd9454.  It is annoying because you have to remember which Roku # is connected to which TV. Chromecast descriptive name however shows up.

On Apple Sling Player, all Rokus and Chromecast show up but only for 4 devices.  Additionally, the name is Roku 1, Roku 2, Roku 3, Roku 4.  These numbers never stay with the TV.  Said another way, Roku 1 today maybe Roku 3 tomorrow.  Incredibly frustrating because you have no clue which Roku goes to which TV so you have to keep guessing until content shows up on the correct TV.  Again, if you have more than 4 devices (like me) you only see 4.

(btw, Chromecast version 2 only work for 5 minutes before screen scrunches up and then disconnects you....issue Sling has ignored to date)

Golfbal1 Newbie

I should add something ( i realize I am not really answering the posters question)

Apple Sling Player seems way more stable other than the issues I mentioned above.

Android Sling Player, after slinging content to the Roku/TV, if I start using a different app on my Tablet (or Tablet screen goes to sleep) and then go back to the Sling Player to control the TV I lose the connection. I can still change the channel but not using the TV remote or Key Pad remote (type in channel), I have to use the Guide, select a new channel and then it asks me if I want to disconnect the user, I say "NO" and then the channel changes on the TV. If I were to hit "YES", it would drop the TV and send image back to my tablet.  It is yet another annoying issue.  Apple does not seem to have this problem.

I shake my head at these issues in dismay. It is like no one tested basic functionality before they went live.  Wasn't there a user experience test script in the project plan.....

It is something Sling needs to fix asap.  People are loading up their houses with Roku's, Chromecasts (doesn't even work with Sling for more than 5 mins), Apple connected devices, etc.

When I walk into a Comcast store and when I talk to a customer who has had it with their increasing comcast bill (which is everyone), I tell them to get a Sling Box.  They always write down the sling box name.  Sling could sell millions more of these and be way ahead of comast and poised for Internet TV but it will be much harder if there are issues like the ones mentioned in this thread.

Golfbal1 Newbie

The Roku descriptive name has been a problem for almost 2 years.  Amazing!

https://community.slingbox.com/message/102455#102455