5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 13, 2011 8:44 PM by imarcellana RSS

How do you watch something different than what is on the home TV?

theovango

I have the Pro-HD which advertises you can watch one thing through the slingbox and something else on the normal TV.  How do you do this?

• Re: How do you watch something different than what is on the home TV?
          dbsguy Apprentice

It depends on what tyou have connected to the slingbox in terms of inputs.

If you have cable tv, you can connect a splitter to the incomming cable line and run one side of it straight to the slingbox's internal tuner input. This will give you independant channel selection and not effect any tv or cable box connected to your local tv.

another mthood is to hook up sevral inputs to your slingbox (lets say cable tv/antenna or satellite, as well as dvd, vcr, bluu-ray, etc. while locally you may be watching one source, you have the ability to select another source by changing inputs on the slingbox either in or out of your home network. Since 2 different sources are being used, there would be no conflict with the locally connected tv.

asimms21

Yeah, but if you just do a splitter, you then can not control your cable box, right? Like I would want to use my dvr still. You could change channels? No pause or fast forward??

dbsguy Apprentice

To watch independant things from the local tv, you must do as I mentioned asbove. that does NOT preclude you from also hooking up the cable box to one of the slingbox pro's a/v inputs such as component video in order to control and operate the cable box with all of it's functionalities intact including but not limited to dvr content playback.

If you hook up both methods as I described above, you have the ultimate control as you have a selection of watching something different from the local tv or using the cablebox functionality as well (the later watching the same programming material if the local tv is in use).

imarcellana

I'm having the same issue I believe and I'm having a little trouble understanding so I just want to ask and clarify a few points.

I have sattelite service provided by direct tv. Would I have to split the coaxial signal that comes directly from the sattelite and have one go to the slingbox and the other to the set-top box provided by direct tv? Does this mean I will be able to control and watch my own programs independently from the ones being watched on the TV that the slingbox is connected to? Will the people watching on the TV that the slingbox is connected to not be at the mercy of mine controlling of the programming?

Thanks so much for the time!

dbsguy Apprentice

NONONO....

If you have DirecTV as a service porovider; you can NOT split the incomming line from your dish. You can only hook up your slingbox to the outputs of your satellite receiver. Although you can watch and control the receiver though your slingbox; if a local user is watching TV, then you are both at the will of the other in terms of changing channels......

The only way to watch an independant station when using a satellite provider as your source is to havea dedicated satellite receiver solely designated for your slingbox use.