4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 2, 2010 7:37 AM by dbanker RSS

SlingLink Proximity to router?

dbanker

I've noticed that if I check out SlingLinks by plugging them into the same outlet and then connecting the SlingBox, I get almost immediate network connectivity.  But, when I move them to the location I want to install, I get no connectivity on the SlingBox.  Just an observation.  I really don't want to have to try to pull Cat 5, not even sure I can.  I have an existing coax cable in the route I want to go, but if it is stapled to the studs, I won't be able to get it out in order to attach the Cat 5 for the pull.

I think I'm going to try to relocate my DVR to another location closer to the router to see if I can get a better network connection.

Anyone have any other ideas?  This is taking days instead of hours...and I haven't even started the setup or internet viewing setup yet.

• Re: SlingLink Proximity to router?
          rpmazur Newbie

I'm not sure if you have a previously used Slingbox or not, but, if you purchased (or recieved) a used (and older) Slingbox like I did, it probably still has the previous configuration settings in it and you need to factory reset.

See  http://support.slingmedia.com/get/KB-005036.html on how to factory reset it.

Let me know if that is the issue or not.

Thanks!

rpmazur Newbie

Oh, I forgot to mention, according to the troubleshooting page, it would behoove you to not have your slinglinks plugged into a powerstrip.  Sometimes the strips can cause interference with the SlingLinks.

See  http://support.slingmedia.com/get/KB-005021.html

dbanker

Thanks for the reply.  I do have a powerstrip and tried moving the slinglink and the slingbox powersupply to an unused plug.  It didn't make any difference.  I decided to move the slingbox to another receiver closer to my router and it all worked fine.  Setup was a piece of cake after that.  Now I'm thinking of getting another receiver and just putting that and the slingbox where my computer is.  I don't need a TV connected to this setup so I think now I can do it without even needing the slinglinks.  I think I'll return those and use the credit toward the new receiver.

Thanks again for the reply.   Doug

dbanker

After moving slinglinks and slingbox closer to router location, all worked fine.  I'm guessing it was either distance, interferrence from the DLP Halogen projector bulb in the TV, or something I haven't accounted for.  Can't argue with success.